• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Study Finds: A Third_Hand Smoke.....

I quit smoking about 4 months ago. I didn't smoke in the house because it damages the place and most important, the cats would not appreciate it since they have pretty small lungs.

Las week, I cleaned my garage, about 200 million cigarettes later. I'm please to say that using warm water and a little degreaser and some real effort and a scary amount of paper towels (rags don't work well) my garage is now beautiful.

Heya SB. :2wave: Myself I have cut down to half a carton a week already. Using those E-cigs. Plus now I go outside the house to have one. Quit smoking in the car. Don't like it around my pets either. Got rid of all the ashtrays out of the house too. Making it as difficult as I can. ;)

I am at the point if I need to get a prescript I will. Just to quit!

I quit smoking about 4 months ago. I didn't smoke in the house because it damages the place and most important, the cats would not appreciate it since they have pretty small lungs.

Las week, I cleaned my garage, about 200 million cigarettes later. I'm please to say that using warm water and a little degreaser and some real effort and a scary amount of paper towels (rags don't work well) my garage is now beautiful.

Good for you!

I quit 6 years ago, and unfortunately have been smoking a bit over the last year or so, 5-10 a day. It's time to quit again.

I don't smoke in the house, the car or around those who don't smoke. Definitely not around the cats.

Well, I'm proud of you. I'm a severe addict and I have struggled with cigarettes since the age of 12. I quit for 11 years in the 70s and was miserable for over a decade.

Now, my smoking is limited to e-cig only. It has worked 100% for me. I had to quit everything for 3 days and then the e-cig really worked. I prefer it and no more stink, coughing, ashes etc.

I haven't had a craving. I did that laser therapy thing and while I don't really know if or what that did, the fact that I paid $250 for it made me even more determined so it was well worth it.

Your cats will also be proud of you. You'll be indoors more waiting on them paw and foot.

Good for you!

I quit 6 years ago, and unfortunately have been smoking a bit over the last year or so, 5-10 a day. It's time to quit again.

I don't smoke in the house, the car or around those who don't smoke. Definitely not around the cats.

Thirdhand Smoke Spurs DNA Damage, Study Finds.....

We know firsthand smoke is bad, and we know secondhand smoke is also bad. But now, researchers have found that thirdhand smoke -- the surface-clinging residue left over from secondhand smoke -- can also cause damage to our DNA.

"This is the very first study to find that thirdhand smoke is mutagenic," study researcher Lara Gundel, a scientist at the Lawrence Berkeley National laboratory, said in a statement. "Tobacco-specific nitrosamines, some of the chemical compounds in thirdhand smoke, are among the most potent carcinogens there are. They stay on surfaces, and when those surfaces are clothing or carpets, the danger to children is especially serious."

The study, published in the journal Mutagenesis, doesn't just show that thirdhand smoke can harm cells -- it also shows that the harm it can cause could become worse with time.

Thirdhand Smoke Spurs DNA Damage, Study Finds

Also hearing about this today. They reported the only way they can clean any surface is in a lab. No household cleaners can remove this off surfaces. Wonder if they considered industrial cleaners or other chemical cleaners?

Course they say this affects pets and children too. Or any others in the same closed room.

The statement I've bolded - where did you come to that conclusion? That wasn't in the article.

The statement I've bolded - where did you come to that conclusion? That wasn't in the article.

I brought it up later in post 10, Auntie Mmmmm. ;)

Cleaning a home or a car that has been smoked in doesn't seem to solve the problem. The researchers said they encountered people who complained about buying a used car that didn't smell at first but after a few days started to smell as if somebody had smoked in it.

"Even when you paint the walls, it covers the smell for a short time, but then the compounds work their way through the painting," Gundel said.

"We can take up markers from former smoking months, and sometimes even years after the smoker has left," the researchers said.

Future studies should investigate the effects of nitrosamines and other compounds found in thirdhand smoke on people by looking at blood samples, the researchers said.

The study was published June 13 in the journal Mutagenesis, and was funded by the Tobacco-Related Disease Research Program, which is managed by the University of California and funded by state cigarette taxes.....snip~

Thirdhand Smoke Damages Human Cells

Well, I'm proud of you. I'm a severe addict and I have struggled with cigarettes since the age of 12. I quit for 11 years in the 70s and was miserable for over a decade.

Now, my smoking is limited to e-cig only. It has worked 100% for me. I had to quit everything for 3 days and then the e-cig really worked. I prefer it and no more stink, coughing, ashes etc.

I haven't had a craving. I did that laser therapy thing and while I don't really know if or what that did, the fact that I paid $250 for it made me even more determined so it was well worth it.

Your cats will also be proud of you. You'll be indoors more waiting on them paw and foot.

I smoked for 30 years before, used Chantix to quit, though I stayed on half-dose, and only used it for maybe three months. Got some rather unusual dreams from that stuff. :lol:

I plan on just cold turkey, and hope the stress I'm under doesn't waylay me in my efforts. I figure I'll try the gum if I get the urge.

The cats actually prefer to be outside, surveying all that is their kingdom, and allow me to tend the gardens that is their ultra-soft litter box.

I want to come back in my next life as a cat. :wink:

Both my parents smoked as I was growing up and I'm perfect...*cough*...*sputter*...*gasp...ly fine.

Hiya GG
hat.gif
.....plus lil kids like to play on carpeted floors. Fall asleep with their ear Right on the carpeting too. Many end up getting allergies from Caarpeting and Fabrics from within their own homes.

For the study, researchers used the Comet assay and the long amplicon-qPCR assay- two common in vitro assays to test the genotoxicity of third-hand smoke. They found that cigarette residue can cause oxidative DNA damage and also break the DNA strands, both of which could lead to gene mutation.....snip~

Third-hand Smoke can Cause DNA Damage in Human Cells, Study Finds : Environment : Nature World News

I brought it up later in post 10, Auntie Mmmmm. ;)

Cleaning a home or a car that has been smoked in doesn't seem to solve the problem. The researchers said they encountered people who complained about buying a used car that didn't smell at first but after a few days started to smell as if somebody had smoked in it.

"Even when you paint the walls, it covers the smell for a short time, but then the compounds work their way through the painting," Gundel said.

"We can take up markers from former smoking months, and sometimes even years after the smoker has left," the researchers said.

Future studies should investigate the effects of nitrosamines and other compounds found in thirdhand smoke on people by looking at blood samples, the researchers said.

The study was published June 13 in the journal Mutagenesis, and was funded by the Tobacco-Related Disease Research Program, which is managed by the University of California and funded by state cigarette taxes.....snip~

Thirdhand Smoke Damages Human Cells

It was in post #11.

None of these articles clearly state what constitutes a 'smoke cycle' and how much 'chronic' exposure is needed in order for it to become 'mutagenic' and later 'carcinogenic' . . . I suppose I have to swim through various research paper stats and detailed essays to figure that out.

But I was surprised to read this:
“Nicotine, the addictive substance in tobacco smoke, has until now been considered to be non-toxic in the strictest sense of the term,”

Since when was nicotine considered to ever be non-toxic?

So really - it's just restating what we already know: smoking is bad for your health and tertiary smoking can affect others.

Be sure that you come back as a cat where they recognize you for the True Royalty that you are.
imgres.jpeg
I smoked for 30 years before, used Chantix to quit, though I stayed on half-dose, and only used it for maybe three months. Got some rather unusual dreams from that stuff. :lol:

I plan on just cold turkey, and hope the stress I'm under doesn't waylay me in my efforts. I figure I'll try the gum if I get the urge.

The cats actually prefer to be outside, surveying all that is their kingdom, and allow me to tend the gardens that is their ultra-soft litter box.

I want to come back in my next life as a cat. :wink:

Why doesn't the Gubment just outlaw smoking already?

Oh yeah, because then people would bitch about having to pay extra tax money that smokers used to pick up. ;)

Why doesn't the Gubment just outlaw smoking already?

Oh yeah, because then people would bitch about having to pay extra tax money that smokers used to pick up. ;)

Because we live in a world that thrives on burning fossil fuels. . .can't be a hypocrite over 'potential' hazards. I bet you people are at more direct danger from twinkies and ho-hos

It was in post #11.

None of these articles clearly state what constitutes a 'smoke cycle' and how much 'chronic' exposure is needed in order for it to become 'mutagenic' and later 'carcinogenic' . . . I suppose I have to swim through various research paper stats and detailed essays to figure that out.

But I was surprised to read this:
“Nicotine, the addictive substance in tobacco smoke, has until now been considered to be non-toxic in the strictest sense of the term,”

Since when was nicotine considered to ever be non-toxic?

So really - it's just restating what we already know: smoking is bad for your health and tertiary smoking can affect others.

Hiya Auntie Mmmmm.
hat.gif
Here is what Berkley has on it. ;)

Study reveals dangers of nicotine in third-hand smoke « Berkeley Lab News Center

Thirdhand Smoke Spurs DNA Damage, Study Finds.....

We know firsthand smoke is bad, and we know secondhand smoke is also bad. But now, researchers have found that thirdhand smoke -- the surface-clinging residue left over from secondhand smoke -- can also cause damage to our DNA.

I thought third hand smoke was what the politicians blew up our butts trying to sell us on bad ideas?

If it's toxic to breathe in then I'm sure the residues in furniture and on other surfaces are also toxic. Wouldn't want them sticking to my skin.

Science isn't based on "I'm sure..." and feelings.

My choices in life don't all rely on science's say so. Thanks.

If I waited for science to declare things safe instead of using my brain, I'd probably have cancer by now.

This is very, very suspect. How do kids/pets get this stuff off of these surfaces? Do they possess "super saliva" that cannot be created/used as a cleaner?

LOL Good point. If you can't get "third hand smoke" off surfaces with household cleaners then how is someone licking the surfaces going to get it off?

My choices in life don't all rely on science's say so. Thanks.

If I waited for science to declare things safe instead of using my brain, I'd probably have cancer by now.

I'm sure your brain isn't the reason you don't have cancer.

Back
Top Bottom