• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Study: Conservatives are happier than liberals.

Fishking

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I can't say this is particularly shocking, looking at the apparently constant state of outrage liberals seem to exist it. It has to be utterly exhausting.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S009265661100170X

Political conservatives are happier than liberals. We proposed that this happiness gap is accounted for by specific attitude and personality differences associated with positive adjustment and mental health. In contrast, a predominant social psychological explanation of the gap is that conservatives, who are described as fearful, defensive, and low in self-esteem, will rationalize away social inequalities in order to justify the status quo (system justification). In four studies, conservatives expressed greater personal agency (e.g., personal control, responsibility), more positive outlook (e.g., optimism, self-worth), more transcendent moral beliefs (e.g., greater religiosity, greater moral clarity, less tolerance of transgressions), and a generalized belief in fairness, and these differences accounted for the happiness gap. These patterns are consistent with the positive adjustment explanation.

It's not a surprise that those who believe in greater personal responsibility and control are happier. It's basically the exact opposite of the victim culture that is cultivated on the left. Believing all your problems are due to someone(thing) else does little to help you improve your own situation.

2016-2019 is nothing like 2011.

You need to find a newer study, particularly when you use the statement "It's not a surprise that those who believe in greater personal responsibility and control are happier."

2016-2019 is nothing like 2011.

You need to find a newer study, particularly when you use the statement "It's not a surprise that those who believe in greater personal responsibility and control are happier."

Liberals have only become more irrational and the underlying philosophical difference still remains. Try again.

Liberals have only become more irrational and the underlying philosophical difference still remains. Try again.

I would "try again" but I've seen a serious shift in those who call themselves "conservatives" in the era of Trump. I've watched it in real time.

I consider myself a "conservative" (mostly fiscal) and I am definitely not angry, but I have seen many people who claim to be "conservative" who are now followers of Trump. Most of them are very, very angry.

I would "try again" but I've seen a serious shift in those who call themselves "conservatives" in the era of Trump. I've watched it in real time.

I consider myself a "conservative" (mostly fiscal) and I am definitely not angry, but I have seen many people who claim to be "conservative" who are now followers of Trump. Most of them are very, very angry.

To some degree, maybe. However, that doesn't hold a candle to the absolute mental breakdown that the left had from Nov 2016-Today. So many intelligent and reasonable people have turned into very unhinged individuals. It's not even close.

Of course they're happier. Ignorance is bliss.

:roll:

It wouldn’t surprise me. I find that when I stop caring about the trials and tribulations of other people and only worry about taking care of myself I tend to be happier. Empathy takes an emotional toll.

I can't say this is particularly shocking, looking at the apparently constant state of outrage liberals seem to exist it. It has to be utterly exhausting.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S009265661100170X

It's not a surprise that those who believe in greater personal responsibility and control are happier. It's basically the exact opposite of the victim culture that is cultivated on the left. Believing all your problems are due to someone(thing) else does little to help you improve your own situation.

Your OP article says that conservatives were happier during the Obama years. :shock:

To some degree, maybe. However, that doesn't hold a candle to the absolute mental breakdown that the left had from Nov 2016-Today. So many intelligent and reasonable people have turned into very unhinged individuals. It's not even close.

This is a reaction to the buffoon that holds sway over the GOP right now. He is everything the left has been over-hyping for years. Racist? He checks all of the boxes. Sexist? Ditto. The "right" went out of their way to vote in a caricature of everything that personifies right-wing radio. Now they have to accept him.

I left the GOP in 2012. I left because I did not like the fiscal policies of the GOP anymore. I'm glad I did, because the GOP is now an utter trash heap.

Yes we had our Trump breakdown in 2016. What’s not to hate about a man who insults those with darker skin becoming the most powerful person in the world. Conservatives have their 2018-19 breakdown, called AOC, and she’s a freshman in Congress.

Yes we had our Trump breakdown in 2016. What’s not to hate about a man who insults those with darker skin becoming the most powerful person in the world. Conservatives have their 2018-19 breakdown, called AOC, and she’s a freshman in Congress.

Lol....I love AOC. I haven't been so entertained in a while. That's the difference between us.

Seems counterintuitive, doesn't it?

It is what it is. The research you support indicates that if conservatives truly want to be happy they should support Obama liberalism. Go figure.

This is a reaction to the buffoon that holds sway over the GOP right now. He is everything the left has been over-hyping for years. Racist? He checks all of the boxes. Sexist? Ditto. The "right" went out of their way to vote in a caricature of everything that personifies right-wing radio. Now they have to accept him.

I left the GOP in 2012. I left because I did not like the fiscal policies of the GOP anymore. I'm glad I did, because the GOP is now an utter trash heap.

Making my point for me. Thanks.

It is what it is. The research you support indicates that if conservatives truly want to be happy they should support Obama liberalism. Go figure.

Actually, it showed that different ideologies and beliefs make them happier, not Obama. In fact, Obama was never mentioned.

Your OP article says that conservatives were happier during the Obama years. :shock:

Maybe because they were on the attack back then rather than on the defensive. Explaining away or defending Trump’s actions has to get tiresome. Or maybe just everyone is less happy with each year as we become more and more divided. Don’t know.

Well they say ignorance is bliss and when it comes to American Conservatism, there ain't no shortage of ignorance.

This is how I see it. Liberals are like dogs: help the poor? Yes! (Pant, pant), equal pay for equal work, yes, (pant, pant), minorities, immigrants, ditto. Now look at your cat. What is he thinking? Ans., “I’ve got money. If I want to pay attention to you, I will. If I don’t, I won’t. Deal with it. And where’s my food?” Think of the Siamese cats in Lady and the Tramp. “We are Siamese if you please. We are Siamese if you don’t please.” Cats are definitely conservatives.

Lol....I love AOC. I haven't been so entertained in a while. That's the difference between us.

Oh, I find her delightful. Smart, and as mischevious as your kid sister.

*shrug*….let's play this game. Who controlled Congress?

"Too shay", as Removable Mind says. Are you suggesting that conservative happiness is determined by which party controls Congress? No? You aren't saying that?

Back
Top Bottom