• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Students ponder whether to cross picket lines as LAUSD teachers strike

SLC

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
https://www.latimes.com/local/education/

With umbrellas in one hand and picket signs in the other, Los Angeles teachers braved cold, drizzly weather Monday morning as they walked off the job in their first strike in 30 years to demand smaller class sizes, more support staff at schools and better pay.

"Let's be clear, educators don't want to strike," United Teachers Los Angeles President Alex Caputo-Pearl said to a crowd of supporters during a morning news conference at John Marshall High School in Los Feliz. "We don't want to miss time with our students. We don't want to have less money for the car payment or less money for the school supplies that we always end up buying ourselves."

=================================================================
I guess California should worry about paying teachers and not funding medical care for non citizens. Teachers need to be paid a decent wage the job they do is way to important . This is the first teacher strike in 30 years in Los Angeles.

LA should give the teachers anything they want including raises for last year, this year, and next year - whatever the teachers want. We know LA government is loaded with money because we know how profitable all the illegal migrants they are sheltering are to a community from the Democratic Party - making LA certainly the wealthiest city and government in the USA.

Why just 6.5% for last year retroactively and 6.5% this year? Why not 50% raises for how rich the school district must be! Claiming they are billions in debt obviously most be a lie.

Not a single lefty has an opinion lmao

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just what I thought no comment on where LA SHOULD spend tax payer money instead of spending it on illegal aliens.

I have lived in the City of the Angels (Wow! What a misnomer!) since the 1940s, so I know something about Los Angeles schools.

1. First, many of the students do not speak English as a first language.

2. Second, the teachers are paid very well.

3. Third, the school district receives millions and millions of dollars from the state.

4. Fourth, if you ever visit any school (some of which are newly built), you will see the latest technological advances and a plethora of new textbooks.

5. The union is doing what all unions do: Complaining that everything would be hunky-dory if only more money were forthcoming.

6. The total enrollment in the district is actually decreasing.

7. The union, the school district, the politicians, and the media refuse to accept one brutal fact: When push comes to shove, a school district's success depends on how well the students have the motivation to study. All the money in the world will never change that.

Abraham Lincoln learned in that one-room schoolhouse because he wanted to.

Back
Top Bottom