• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Student Sues Wake School Officials Over Suspension For Having Sex

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
http://www.wral.com/news/9171592/detail.html

"A high school student caught having sex with his girlfriend at her house has sued the Wake County Board of Education, saying that the school system has no authority over students' off-campus behavior and should not have suspended him.

Ryan Biggar, 16, was suspended for 10 days from Middle Creek High School in Apex after he and his 17-year-old girlfriend were caught having sex at her house during school hours on April 19. Biggar and his mother Patricia Biggar filed suit last week in Wake Superior Court.

The suspension notice says Biggar violated a school policy prohibiting "behavior which is indecent, overly affectionate, or of a sexual nature in the school setting."

Biggar's suspension ended Wednesday, but he remained out of school Friday pending a disciplinary hearing May 15. School officials have recommended his suspension be extended until the school year ends June 9. Biggar and his mother have filed court papers asking the suspension be lifted until the lawsuit is resolved.

School officials are prohibited from saying whether Biggar's girlfriend was punished."

What is wrong with people? How on earth does the school think it has the right to punish this kid for having sex with his girlfriend? So it happened during school hours. BFD. If two high school students skipped school and stayed home, hooking up, how does that harm the school? And the girlfriend hasn't sued, so I'm betting she wasn't punished either, especially considering it was her parents who called the police. And for the record, who calls the police when they find their daughter having sex? You wanna talk about kids growing up with problems, associating consensual sex with jail is a great way to do it. Not to mention the fact that the chick is 17 and the guy is 16. Bullshit.

This country needs to mind its own business, in every single way.

This is the kind of thing that I tend to label as extreme conservative. Is that right, or is this extreme liberalism instead? Either way, I agree it's retarded.

Just wanted to check something..are they legal?

Willoughby said:

Hehe, good one.

I can't see reason why the school are sticking their noses where it def doesn't belong. Unless if her dad has a bit of money power in the school, kick her out and the mula stops? Unlikely, but still possible. What will be funny, is if she is caught a week later banging a differnt guy also in school time.

RightatNYU said:
http://www.wral.com/news/9171592/detail.html

What is wrong with people? How on earth does the school think it has the right to punish this kid for having sex with his girlfriend? So it happened during school hours. BFD. If two high school students skipped school and stayed home, hooking up, how does that harm the school? And the girlfriend hasn't sued, so I'm betting she wasn't punished either, especially considering it was her parents who called the police. And for the record, who calls the police when they find their daughter having sex? You wanna talk about kids growing up with problems, associating consensual sex with jail is a great way to do it. Not to mention the fact that the chick is 17 and the guy is 16. Bullshit.

This country needs to mind its own business, in every single way.

I agree....ridiculous. What's even more ridiculous is that a parent who caught a 16 & 17 y.o. having sex would call the police. We wouldn't have nearly as much school and government involvement in our everyday lives if people learned how to handle their own ****!

Hehe, good one.
I wasn't joking. I was inquiring on the age of consent in this part of the US?

They were caught skipping school and screwing....

And your argument is that they cannot be mandated to obey school rules, off campus, during school hours?

Wah. Wah. Wah.

OK....I'll bite. If that's the case then....

You skip school and rob a liquor store. The school can only dicipline you for playing hooky?

You skip school and meet all your friends over at Skippy's house and have a pot and beer party when you supposed to be in geography class. You get busted by the cops. The school can only dicipline you for playing hooky?

Well, lemme clue you into something. We parents, who work all day and pay school taxes, we would like to be reasonably certain that while we are gone, our kids, (who are supposed to be in school,) are not, in fact, at home unsupervised screwing like mink. Capice?

I support any measures that support that cause. Kick 'em both outta school and send a clear cut message.

And I am far from a rightwinger.

Willoughby said:

According to your friend and mine, www.ageofconsent.com, 16 is the age of consent in North Carolina.

So yes, it was completely legal.

Willoughby said:
I wasn't joking. I was inquiring on the age of consent in this part of the US?

I know. I tend to interpret it in another form as well.

Captain America said:
They were caught skipping school and screwing....

And your argument is that they cannot be mandated to obey school rules, off campus, during school hours?

Wah. Wah. Wah.

OK....I'll bite. If that's the case then....

You skip school and rob a liquor store. The school can only dicipline you for playing hooky?

You skip school and meet all your friends over at Skippy's house and have a pot and beer party when you supposed to be in geography class. You get busted by the cops. The school can only dicipline you for playing hooky?

Both your arguments are based on HUGE logical fallacies.

First off - In both those cases, a state or federal law is being broken. Obviously that should be treated differently than breaking social mores.

Secondly - Even in BOTH those cases, the school doesnt need to do more than charge them with hooky. The POLICE will take care of the rest, considering they broke the laws

You think that schools should consider themselves the judge and jury for when students break laws? Guess that 6th Amendment was just a suggestion, huh?

Well, lemme clue you into something. We parents, who work all day and pay school taxes, we would like to be reasonably certain that while we are gone, our kids, (who are supposed to be in school,) are not, in fact, at home unsupervised screwing like mink. Capice?

Then I would suggest those parents do their jobs and make sure their kids aren't doing so. And if they are, why don't they punish them themselves? Cause last I checked, it wasn't the job of the school to be the moral arbiter of private consensual actions between ADULTS (remember, they're of legal age).

As a parent, why on earth would you support ceding your ability to parent your child to an outside entity? When I have kids, I want to be the one to determine what they are and are not punished for, not some ridiculous high school principal.

What if the school your kids went to had a rule that kids could not skip school to do charity work. Say your child skips school to do charity work, and the school decides to suspend them for the rest of the year. Do you think that's fair? Or would you prefer the school to simply give your child one day of detention or whatever it is they normally do for kids who skip school, and let you determine what the punishment for doing charity work should be?

I support any measures that support that cause. Kick 'em both outta school and send a clear cut message.

And I am far from a rightwinger.

I never claimed it was a "right-wing" idea. At its heart, the idea of taking away a parent's right to discipline their child for activities that have nothing to do with the school and giving it to the principal smacks of classical leftist principles. Because the people enacting this likely had conservative moral reasoning doesn't change the idea behind it.

Captain America said:

You skip school and meet all your friends over at Skippy's house and have a pot and beer party when you supposed to be in geography class. You get busted by the cops. The school can only dicipline you for playing hooky?.

yes, and yes. leave the rest to the police

how rediculous... what are the police supposed to do? its legal.

I dont know why the school thinks its any of their business. they skipped and should be disciplined for that, but thats all.

RightatNYU said:
Then I would suggest those parents do their jobs and make sure their kids aren't doing so. And if they are, why don't they punish them themselves? Cause last I checked, it wasn't the job of the school to be the moral arbiter of private consensual actions between ADULTS (remember, they're of legal age).

As a parent, why on earth would you support ceding your ability to parent your child to an outside entity? When I have kids, I want to be the one to determine what they are and are not punished for, not some ridiculous high school principal.

I don't think you're hearing what I am saying. When parents send their kids to school and then go off to work, they have every reason to think that Junior is being supervised. They have entrusted the school to do just that. (I don't want to have to worry about Skippy coming over to my house, while I'm gone, knockin' up my horny daughter. Do you?)

This sets the school up for all kinds of liability suits. I do not blame them for enforcing the rules to the Nth degree in this regard. The kids weren't caught drinking Pepsi cola at the 7-11. They were caught screwing in the parents home. The same parents who trusted the school.

We all know that kids are gonna play hooky. We all know kids are gonna screw. But when it's on the school's time, a time they are responsible for the kid, I don't blame them at all for covering their arse and going for the maximum.

Captain America said:
I don't think you're hearing what I am saying. When parents send their kids to school and then go off to work, they have every reason to think that Junior is being supervised. They have entrusted the school to do just that. (I don't want to have to worry about Skippy coming over to my house, while I'm gone, knockin' up my horny daughter. Do you?)

This sets the school up for all kinds of liability suits. I do not blame them for enforcing the rules to the Nth degree in this regard. The kids weren't caught drinking Pepsi cola at the 7-11. They were caught screwing in the parents home. The same parents who trusted the school.

We all know that kids are gonna play hooky. We all know kids are gonna screw. But when it's on the school's time, a time they are responsible for the kid, I don't blame them at all for covering their arse and going for the maximum.

if we were talking about elementary age children who were leaving school premises I would agree. part of the schools job at that age is to keep the children safe by watching them.

its an entirely different matter with highschool kids. they are old enough to take care of themselves, its not the schools job to do it.

The Morality Squad strikes again.

P.S. The age of consent in N.C. is 16.

When I have kids,
There's the key to most of the responses in this thread. I'd be willing to bet that few of you have kids... and from the sound of it, I would also bet most of you are still in school or not long out of school.

Ever see the commercial that says "having a baby changes everything"? Well believe me, it does.

Bottom line is that schools are responsible for kids during the time they are in school or at a school activity. They can't afford to let this kind of behavior go unpunished.

Gill said:
Bottom line is that schools are responsible for kids during the time they are in school or at a school activity. They can't afford to let this kind of behavior go unpunished.

highschools are there to educate your kids, not to babysit them.

The school had every right to punish them for truancy.

However, that is not what the school suspended the boy for and that is not the reasoning they used to defend the action. They claimed that the girl's house was a school setting-- during school hours-- and that they had the authority to govern the students' conduct in that setting.

Considering that the schools are also attempting to govern students' behavior outside of school hours and away from school property-- the MySpace lawsuits-- they are clearly overstepping their legal authority and need to be brought to heel.

talloulou said:
I agree....ridiculous. What's even more ridiculous is that a parent who caught a 16 & 17 y.o. having sex would call the police. We wouldn't have nearly as much school and government involvement in our everyday lives if people learned how to handle their own ****!
Not sure about the truancy laws in their state, but when I was in high school, skipping school was illegal. To say nothing about the boyfriend's trespassing and probable assault in his miner girlfriend....from the father's point of view.

I'd like to see them both locked up for Sexual Contact with a Miner and Statutory Rape. A 16 nor 17 year old can not legally consent to sex.……in most states.

Last edited:
star2589 said:
They were doing their Sex-Ed homework. Don’t want those free condoms to go to waste :2razz:

Korimyr the Rat said:
The school had every right to punish them for truancy.

However, that is not what the school suspended the boy for and that is not the reasoning they used to defend the action. They claimed that the girl's house was a school setting-- during school hours-- and that they had the authority to govern the students' conduct in that setting.

Considering that the schools are also attempting to govern students' behavior outside of school hours and away from school property-- the MySpace lawsuits-- they are clearly overstepping their legal authority and need to be brought to heel.
The article mentioned that both the parents and the students signed rules forms. I’d like to see exactly what they agreed to. Depending on what those forms say, and subsequently what the parents and students agreed to, the school just might have a case.

star2589 said:
AND... they are responsible for the kids' well being both at school and at school activities. If you don't believe that, ask a lawyer if you can sue the school if a child gets hurt because of the schools negligence.

Gill said:
AND... they are responsible for the kids' well being both at school and at school activities. If you don't believe that, ask a lawyer if you can sue the school if a child gets hurt because of the schools negligence.

they werent at school, or participating in a school activity.

Gill said:
There's the key to most of the responses in this thread. I'd be willing to bet that few of you have kids... and from the sound of it, I would also bet most of you are still in school or not long out of school.

Ever see the commercial that says "having a baby changes everything"? Well believe me, it does.

Bottom line is I am responsible for BOTH of my daughters, regardless if they are in school, or not. IF one or both of my girls were to skip school, that would be bad enough. To skip school and then me catch them screwing boys in my house? The police would have to save them from me because I would tear their asses up.

The school's job is NOT to be the moral teachers of our children. That starts at home.. PERIOD. Suspend my kid for cutting school.. that's the school's right. To suspend her for having sex in my house? Hell no... DON'T DO MY JOB FOR ME... period!!!!!

star2589 said:
they werent at school, or participating in a school activity.
It was during school hours... same thing as if they were at school.

Back
Top Bottom