• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Strom Thurmond's son defeated in primary by African American

Dav

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Oh, the irony....

Tim Scott wins nomination to become first black Republican congressman since 2003 - On Politics: Covering the US Congress, Governors, and the 2010 Election - USATODAY.com
It was a victory for conservative Republican insurgents and a sign of the changing of the guard in the South: Scott, a member of the South Carolina state House, defeated Paul Thurmond, son of the late Sen. Strom Thurmond, who retired from the Senate at age 100 in 2003. Thurmond ran for president in 1948 on a segregationist platform.

The district is Republican enough that Scott will almost certainly win, making him the first black Republican in Congress in about eight years. If just two of the thirty or so others who are running win, there'll be three black Republican Congressman for as far as I can tell the first time ever. I know Allen West at very least has a good chance of making it.

More from the SC GOP primary runoff: Nikki Haley won the nomination for governor; she being Indian-American, this is a good night for diversity in South Carolina, which isn't exactly known as being a particularly diversity-embracing place. Also, Bob Inglis became the fourth Congressman this year (if my count is right) to get ousted in a primary; he didn't even get 30% of the vote.

That isn't irony.

Oh, the irony....

Tim Scott wins nomination to become first black Republican congressman since 2003 - On Politics: Covering the US Congress, Governors, and the 2010 Election - USATODAY.com

The district is Republican enough that Scott will almost certainly win, making him the first black Republican in Congress in about eight years. If just two of the thirty or so others who are running win, there'll be three black Republican Congressman for as far as I can tell the first time ever. I know Allen West at very least has a good chance of making it.

More from the SC GOP primary runoff: Nikki Haley won the nomination for governor; she being Indian-American, this is a good night for diversity in South Carolina, which isn't exactly known as being a particularly diversity-embracing place. Also, Bob Inglis became the fourth Congressman this year (if my count is right) to get ousted in a primary; he didn't even get 30% of the vote.

Thank you.

This would be because the SC GOP is more concerned with policy positions than with questions of race or parentage.

On the whole this primary has been very anti-incumbent and anti-"Good Ol' Boy Network", and I'm proud.

I'm struggling to find the connection between what you posted and the OP. Can you clarify?

There isn't one. I remarked in the previous post that the OP's story wasn't actually an example of irony. About 30 minutes later I read a story that did strike me as ironic. That it was about Palin is coincidential and should not be construed as a partisan thing. If the ironic story had been about bakeries I would have posted that instead.

I am feeling all warm and nice after reading this. :)

I am feeling all warm and nice after reading this. :)
He's a major conservative from Justice Thomas' mold so, it's not much of a win.

But yea, conservatives care about people being conservative, not color. Conservative no longer means racist. There are still racists in america, but on an ideaological scale, racism is done for. A conservative republican is no more apt to be racist than a liberal democrat.

But yea, conservatives care about people being conservative, not color. Conservative no longer means racist. There are still racists in america, but on an ideaological scale, racism is done for. A conservative republican is no more apt to be racist than a liberal democrat.

Are you living in the U.S.A.? Have you seen some of the Racist signs that Conservatives bring to their Tea Party Events? Get Real Dude!

Are you living in the U.S.A.? Have you seen some of the Racist signs that Conservatives bring to their Tea Party Events? Get Real Dude!
Yea, controlling spending is SOOOOOOOO racist! Are you living in Europe? :rolleyes:

Yea, controlling spending is SOOOOOOOO racist! Are you living in Europe? :rolleyes:

Those aren't the signs he was talking about. More like the ones that say "Impeach Owebama and the camel he rode in on." (sic)
or
"Obama - Half-breed muslin" (sic)

"Kumbaya my ass!
Obama - Your massa on his new plantation!"
Those are just the ones I saw.

Ah yes, the Race Card.... the last refuge of the hopeless.

See ya in November.

Ah yes, the Race Card.... the last refuge of the hopeless.

See ya in November.

What's more hopeless: The man holding the racist sign or the man calling him out on it?

What's more hopeless: The man holding the racist sign or the man calling him out on it?

Option 3 - the person that makes a conclusion that an entire group is racist because of the man holding a racist sign.

Option 3 - the person that makes a conclusion that an entire group is racist because of the man holding a racist sign.

Game, set, match.

There is no cause so right you can't find a fool among its followers, if you're looking for one.

Hitler was a german. Germany had nazis in it. All Germans are nazis and hate jews?

Game, set, match.

There is no cause so right you can't find a fool among its followers, if you're looking for one.

Hitler was a german. Germany had nazis in it. All Germans are nazis and hate jews?

Perhaps one of you chuckleheads could find the post where I said all tea partiers were racists?
Or anyone else who said it, for that matter?

Edit: And perhaps you could explain this sentiment of yours and how it applies to me saying something sympathetic to the Palestinians and being called a terrorist supporter for it?

Last edited:

If conservatives don't care about color at all, why is their a thread pointing out his color?

There have been racist signs, even if those people don't represent the entire tea party (i.e. the Obama witch doctor sign)

Perhaps one of you chuckleheads could find the post where I said all tea partiers were racists?
Or anyone else who said it, for that matter?

Edit: And perhaps you could explain this sentiment of yours and how it applies to me saying something sympathetic to the Palestinians and being called a terrorist supporter for it?

This is the comment you're defending:

Kali said:

My comment was directed at her, since it was her stupid post that got the ball rolling.

This is the comment you're defending:

My comment was directed at her, since it was her stupid post that got the ball rolling.

The word "all" does not appear to be in that post. Nor the post it was quoting.
Unless the word "all" is used, it's never a good idea to assume the person means it. Absolutism never goes well.

The word "all" does not appear to be in that post. Nor the post it was quoting.
Unless the word "all" is used, it's never a good idea to assume the person means it. Absolutism never goes well.

The word "all" isn't necessary when the meaning is clear from what was written. Trying to claim it's absolutism is a nice dodge, but it fails in this case.

Wow - how undercutting . . . to be defined as "someone's son" . . . when you've made your way into the political arena as your own individual adult-self :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom