• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Striving to make others disbelieve in God — a question of ethics/morality

Is it ethical/moral to try and make others disbelieve in God?

• Yes

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • No

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Not a question of ethics/morality

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Not more or less so than trying to make others believe in God

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters

Valery

Reaction score
In what sense is it supposedly moral or ethical to strive to make others disbelieve in God?

An extra question: What use could supposedly be derived from it?

For those who answered "religion teaches evil": can it be demonstrated that religion supposedly teaches more evil than any other ideology, such as atheism?

Is it ethical to lie to people that there's proof of God to make them believe in Him?

It's not ethical and it's unChristian (cant speak to other religions). We are supposed to believe in God on faith alone. And I do. I dont need proof and I dont need to prove He exists to anyone else. Other's disbelief doesnt affect my faith at all.

In what sense is it supposedly moral or ethical to strive to make others disbelieve in God?

For those who answered "religion teaches evil": can it be demonstrated that religion supposedly teaches more evil than any other ideology, such as atheism?
Atheism isn't an ideology just like theism isn't an ideology. It has no doctrine, no central tenets, no holy books, no clergy and no structure.

Atheism isn't an ideology just like theism isn't an ideology. It has no doctrine, no central tenets, no holy books, no clergy and no structure.
I'm getting tired of quoting the dictionary to atheists again and again, but here we go..again.
Ideology:
"the body of doctrine, myth, belief, etc., that guides an individual, social movement, institution, class, or large group."

You can't make someone believe/disbelieve anything. You can provide information and make logical arguments but ultimately any individual will reach their own conclusions.

Belief on it's own is amoral. Behaviour is the significant thing since it is that which we actually control (mostly) and which impacts other people. If someone's potentially harmful behaviour is a result of a specific belief, trying to shift (though not necessarily irradiate) that belief could be a moral act. Obviously that is largely an individual matter (though it could apply to defined groups as well) and has the massive practical complications of definitively establishing what is or isn't actually harmful behaviour.

In what sense is it supposedly moral or ethical to strive to make others disbelieve in God? An extra question: What use could supposedly be derived from it? For those who answered "religion teaches evil": can it be demonstrated that religion supposedly teaches more evil than any other ideology, such as atheism?
I have never seen an atheist proselytizing, have you? Maybe at Speakers Corner in Hyde Park but never going door to door telling people they have the only true word and you better live it like atheists do or you will be miserable like evangelicals do.

but never going door to door
That's only the tip of the ice berg when it comes to proselytizing and some religious groups are better know from it than others. It isn't the definition of proselytizing.

If you see somebody being mugged is it OK to walk on past and not help?

When you, the theist, attempt to convert somebody from a false religion is it sinful to do so?

So when I resist and argue against your push for everybody to believe what you do you should not try to gaslight the situation around. You are just lying again.

I'm getting tired of quoting the dictionary to atheists again and again, but here we go..again.
Ideology:
"the body of doctrine, myth, belief, etc., that guides an individual, social movement, institution, class, or large group."
Atheism, like theism, isn't in itself a doctrine, myth, or belief. You failed with your own definition.

No. We're talking about striving to make others disbelief in God — not in any particular religion.

What are you talking about?
I know you do not want to see the cmoparison between evanglical conversion of people out of false religions into yours but this is the same. To convert you out of your false religion into thinking for yourself.

As I said, the full quote;

So when I resist and argue against your push for everybody to believe what you do you should not try to gaslight the situation around. You are just lying again.

When you take half of that to misrepresent it you are gaslighting. Lying.

It says "etc."
Oh, it doesn't fit any of the mentioned definitions but there's an etc. At the end! That means EVERYTHING is an ideology. A cat, a door, the moon, all ideologies!

You know damn well atheism and theism themselves aren't ideologies. There are however atheistic and theistic ideologies.

And who does this? Atheists often strive to encourage people to think and shed their belief in superstition, but that has little to do with atheism itself, and it is limited to a minority.

To shed superstition would ultimately encourage humanity to think differently and not be driven by fear. Societies mired in primitive beliefs tend to remain primitive.

Atheism doesn't teach anything in itself. Is your belief system that shaky that you need to constantly build strawman arguments against those who don't share your particular creed?

To really make people disbelieve in God you got to really push them to the edge with events like 9-11, and Trump.

In what way do either of the things you mention push people to the edge?

I have never seen an atheist proselytizing, have you? Maybe at Speakers Corner in Hyde Park but never going door to door telling people they have the only true word and you better live it like atheists do or you will be miserable like evangelicals do.

And yet the 10 Commandment little monuments were removed from most public lands after they were gifted to the municipalities by the movie maker.

Real live results of real live anti-religion, anti-Christian/Judaic's.

If you see somebody being mugged is it OK to walk on past and not help?

When you, the theist, attempt to convert somebody from a false religion is it sinful to do so?

False? How do you KNOW it to be false?

Back
Top Bottom