• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stranger Things

Nilly

stb
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Anyone been watching this on Netflix?

Great 80's vibe. If you were alive then (I wasn't) I'm sure you'll catch some of the references. It's a sci fi/thriller/horror like Alien/ET with a good dose of Stephen King thrown in for good measure. Brilliantly acted too with a lot of young actors who really knock it out of the park.

I just finished episode 4 (it's an 8 episode season) and loving it. Can't binge watch it like I normally do on Netflix show because of it's creepyness, need to spread the episodes out!!

I don't mean this to be offensive, just matter-of-fact: I almost feel sorry for those who weren't around in the '80s who are watching the show. Me, I was around the same age as the kids in the show at the time, and the show is SO spot-on that it almost hits me in my DNA. Most '80s kids feel the same way.

Yeah, it's great series, and anyone can enjoy it, but man, if you were there, it puts you right back there. It's a rush.

I don't mean this to be offensive, just matter-of-fact: I almost feel sorry for those who weren't around in the '80s who are watching the show. Me, I was around the same age as the kids in the show at the time, and the show is SO spot-on that it almost hits me in my DNA. Most '80s kids feel the same way.

Yeah, it's great series, and anyone can enjoy it, but man, if you were there, it puts you right back there. It's a rush.

It was well made...

Great 80's vibe. If you were alive then (I wasn't) I'm sure you'll catch some of the references. It's a sci fi/thriller/horror like Alien/ET with a good dose of Stephen King thrown in for good measure. Brilliantly acted too with a lot of young actors who really knock it out of the park.

I just finished episode 4 (it's an 8 episode season) and loving it. Can't binge watch it like I normally do on Netflix show because of it's creepyness, need to spread the episodes out!!

Unfortunately, I don't have Netflix so I guess I'll have to miss this like I miss all the other online media offers. :shrug:

Maybe it'll show up on cable some day.

Lol, my wife and I watched the first four episodes last night. We're hooked. :D

Heard a lot of good things about this. Think I will binge on it tonight.

I don't have netflix, but I binge watched all 8 episodes weekend before last.

Great story. I was VERY impressed by the youngster's acting...especially Eleven.

I can hardly wait to see where it goes from here.

80's kid here. My friends and I were EXACTLY like those kids. We played D&D and I had duct tape on my handle bars. We even played with ham radios. It is like main lining nostalgia. And the plot was fun too.

I just finished Episode 6 last night. I started a couple nights ago because Narcos Season 2 was feeling a bit too heavy for my mood at the time.

Damn good show. The "nostalgia" element's a little before my time, and I think they go a bit heavy on the synthesizer music every now and then (it fit a lot better in Halt and Catch Fire, IMO), but I'm enjoying seeing the plot unravel. The monster is pretty legitimately scary as well.

Being a kid in the 80s this show hit the nail on the head. I'm not sure how awesome the show would be without the nostalgia but I like it.

Binged it, 7 on a Saturday, 1 on the following Sunday.

Suffice it to say, I'm really pleased there'll be a second season.

I am an 80s kid too, however I lived in a city.

I was like these kids though as I was able to ride my bike wherever I wanted when I wanted to.

The thing that always bothers me is the mistakes with the cars.

They made a point to tell us it was 1983 at the beginning of the show but the first or second car they show was a Colony Park wagon with a third brake light which came out in 1986.

I missed my calling to work for the studios and fix all those stupid little mistakes that rub car people the wrong way.

Saw it. Liked it.

The scientific premise of the upside-down sounds like some crackpot interpretation of the "many worlds" theory using a mathematical inverse. Like Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets The Matrix with an even younger cast.

The scientific premise of the upside-down sounds like some crackpot interpretation of the "many worlds" theory using a mathematical inverse. Like Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets The Matrix with an even younger cast.

Essentially stole the idea from Northern lights, especially the idea of tears making doors between each world.

i dig the show.

I enjoyed it because I knew nothing about it and had no expectations. Everybody else has probably been harassed into watching it to the point of wanting to commit mass-murder and will most likely hate it for that reason (if they haven't vowed to never watch it to begin with).

Which brings me to: people who vow to not watch something because mainstream society really likes it. You're not special; you're creating a shallow identity based exclusively on the fact that other people are enjoying something. If you have vowed not to watch The Wire, Breaking Bad or Battlestar Galactica because your friends have told you to watch those things, you are shallow.

By the way, I really dug the E.T. cameo at the end.

Whoops...spoilers.

I might give it a try after I finish my Bojack Horseman binge, but Mr Robot season 2 is in my queue ahead of it though.

It's back.

There's a lot in the new episodes. Maybe too much. Wish they had been shorter.

It's back.

There's a lot in the new episodes. Maybe too much. Wish they had been shorter.
I can understand wanting them to be shorter if you only signed on for just a normal episode's length at the end of the day (a full movie's length is quite an investment at the end of every weekday). But I also think that this kind of thinking is anachronistic, especially for millenials and gen z'ers. Unlike the eighties and nineties, you can push pause and pick it up the next day. Also, I think that if a self contained chapter should take place in an hour and twenty minutes versus the standard 45 minutes (one hour when you add in the commercials), then it should, since holding to 45 minutes is itself an anachronism.

We enjoyed season 1 but they lost us early in season 2, can’t remember why.

We enjoyed season 1 but they lost us early in season 2, can’t remember why.
1.5 years between seasons would do it. Remember when it was three months?

Hahahahahaha....I'm old.

The dialogue is getting bad. They spend all this time getting retro props but then they ruin it by having the dialogue sound 2020s instead of 1980s

The dialogue is getting bad. They spend all this time getting retro props but then they ruin it by having the dialogue sound 2020s instead of 1980s

There's a lot of retconning I'm noticing in entertainment these days, like making mixed racial relationships okay when that never would have been tolerated (Murder on the Nile), or making gays/lesbians at least partially acceptable in the eighties when I clearly remember the eighties as being homophobic AF.

Back
Top Bottom