• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

stranger danger:

liblady

pirate lover
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
last night after work, i ran into a neighbor who was walking his dogs. as usual, i stoppped and chatted, and petted the dogs. i don't even know this man's name. he asked me where i worked, and i told him, a bank. we talked just a little about that, and then he asked me what i thought about the government. he said, "i know you have an obama sticker on your car, are you ready to say you made a mistake?"........i said, no, i wasn't. he then told me that obama was a muslim who was trying to turn our country into a mulsim state, and obama didn't care about the constitution. i asked him what was obama doing that was unconstitutional......he said i obviously didn't read. i said......can we just talk about the dogs?

why do people feel it's acceptable to badger a person about their politics, when they don't even know your name? i'm disgusted, and it's ruined the nice feelings i had about the old guy.

btw...the obama sticker is on my husband's car......as i mentioned, i work for a bank. not many liberals around here.

you should be careful around strangers, they could turn out to be mass murdering muslim palestinian israeli christian illegal alien terrorists.

you should be careful around strangers, they could turn out to be mass murdering muslim palestinian israeli christian illegal alien terrorists.

i think his dogs are terrorists too.

last night after work, i ran into a neighbor who was walking his dogs. as usual, i stoppped and chatted, and petted the dogs. i don't even know this man's name. he asked me where i worked, and i told him, a bank. we talked just a little about that, and then he asked me what i thought about the government. he said, "i know you have an obama sticker on your car, are you ready to say you made a mistake?"........i said, no, i wasn't. he then told me that obama was a muslim who was trying to turn our country into a mulsim state, and obama didn't care about the constitution. i asked him what was obama doing that was unconstitutional......he said i obviously didn't read. i said......can we just talk about the dogs?

why do people feel it's acceptable to badger a person about their politics, when they don't even know your name? i'm disgusted, and it's ruined the nice feelings i had about the old guy.

btw...the obama sticker is on my husband's car......as i mentioned, i work for a bank. not many liberals around here.

You response to that should have been, "I have to go, have a nice evening."

You response to that should have been, "I have to go, have a nice evening."

See, I would have said "Yeah, I made the mistake of stopping to chat with a ****ing idiot who has some dogs. Are you ready to admit that you are that idiot."

Last edited:
See, I would have said "Yeah, I made the mistake of stopping to chat with a ****ing idiot who has some dogs. Are you ready to admit that you are that idiot."

That would work too.
If he pressed the issue after I said the nice stuff, that would be my response as well.
I have a personal rule for people I speak with in public, no politics and no religion(unless it is positive about their religion).

When people try to violate this with me, I try to move past it quickly.
If they wish to press it, I walk away.

That would work too.
If he pressed the issue after I said the nice stuff, that would be my response as well.
I have a personal rule for people I speak with in public, no politics and no religion(unless it is positive about their religion).

When people try to violate this with me, I try to move past it quickly.
If they wish to press it, I walk away.

I don't mind talking politics or religion, I just have no tolerance for idiocy.

yeah....but he knew my voting preference, and kind of attacked me for it. that was downright rude.

You know when they say, "Obviously you don't read," or some crap like that, that they have no real argument to put forward.

Your only mistake was engaging in conversation with a lower form of intelligence than yourself, but I can't blame you for trying to be nice.

You know when they say, "Obviously you don't read," or some crap like that, that they have no real argument to put forward.

Your only mistake was engaging in conversation with a lower form of intelligence than yourself, but I can't blame you for trying to be nice.

i have MANY close friends that are republican or conservative. in fact........one of them changed his tune real quick about offshore drilling when the bp disaster hit. kinda funny.

for the most part, we just don't discuss politics, and they are fine people. and i like talking to people, i had no way of knowing he was unbalanced!

i have MANY close friends that are republican or conservative. in fact........one of them changed his tune real quick about offshore drilling when the bp disaster hit. kinda funny.

for the most part, we just don't discuss politics, and they are fine people. and i like talking to people, i had no way of knowing he was unbalanced!

I didn't mean he was lower life for being a republican; he is lower life because he's obviously a douche bag. Who approaches someone in a park while they're walking their dog to bother them about their politics?

That sucks. HE deserved an intellectual smackdown for his rudeness.

it does suck. i was just so taken aback that a person i didn't know would basically attack me. society used to be a bit more polite.

I was once badgered by a neighbor about coming to her church so I could experience the indwelling of the holy spirit (i.e., speaking in tongues), in the middle of a grocery store. I have no desire to speak in tongues, thank you very much.

I didn't mean he was lower life for being a republican; he is lower life because he's obviously a douche bag. Who approaches someone in a park while they're walking their dog to bother them about their politics?

well, we at our condo buildings. i have chatted with him before, but only about his adorable dogs, ans sailing....and to think i offered to dog sit! i don't think republicans are a lower life form either......just misguided. ;-)

I was once badgered by a neighbor about coming to her church so I could experience the indwelling of the holy spirit (i.e., speaking in tongues), in the middle of a grocery store. I have no desire to speak in tongues, thank you very much.

in the grocery.......how inappropriate. you should have told her no thanks, i've got rosetta stone.

I wouldn't mind it either only those who would most likely agree with me on many issues resort to the, "Obamerz is a Muslimer" kind of crap.

I don't like to humiliate coworkers like that, it makes work difficult.

it does suck. i was just so taken aback that a person i didn't know would basically attack me. society used to be a bit more polite.

If society used to be more polite, I can't really remember it.

I tend to react very strongly to rudeness in real life. It's a major pet peeve of mine. Most of the time I just call attention to their ignorance in such as way that it embarrases teh hell out of them.

It helps that I am immune to being embarrased. My wife hates it though.

I tend to react very strongly to rudeness in real life. It's a major pet peeve of mine. Most of the time I just call attention to their ignorance in such as way that it embarrases teh hell out of them.

I tend to see manners as our first line of defense against barbarianism and the loss of a civil society, so I tend to get offended when people are assholes too. Unfortunately, the best one can usually do is not stoop to their level and be polite in return.

and that is when you lost the political debate he initiated with you
you hoisted the white flag of surrender
no doubt he will be a bit more confident when he approaches the next timid victim
why do people feel it's acceptable to badger a person about their politics, when they don't even know your name?
he believed you felt strongly enough about your politics to affix an Obama bumper sticker to your car to show it; the implication may have been that you were willing to take a public stand by publicly advertising your political support
if you look at his car, chances are there will be remnants of the dubya stickers from 2000 and 2004
he didn't need to know your name ... he presumed to know your politics
and i think he made a good guess
i'm disgusted, and it's ruined the nice feelings i had about the old guy.
why, because his politics are those of the republicans?
that does not - of itself - make him other than a nice old guy (with piss poor political inclinations)
hell, there are some misguided republicans on these boards who i would prefer to have a beer or 12 with more than some of those in the center-left who share my brand of politics
but, based on your forum name and posts, while that was your spouse's car, it would appear your brand of politics is the same. and if that were not the case, you had the opportunity to express it ... but you instead backed away from any form of verbal combat

i'll bet she does.......i haven't mastered that skill......fortunately or unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom