• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Story from Eastern Europe. KGB & Okhranka

Centrist

Banned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
It was a cold winter in Bucharest, as I came back to my university to visit my professor after completing my degree, I was told we will be going into a different room.

There were 3 men, members of the Securitatea (which was effectively the Romanian KGB, they got their training and were answering to the Kremlin) told me to sit down. I sat down. They began to read from a joke I made.

The joke was that Ceausescu eats eggs in the morning, we listen to communist music on an empty stomach.
After he finished reading the joke, he told me dismissed and that they will be watching. It was the day I decided to flee the country.

Years later I found out my own roommate reported on me. He was someone that I shared our last piece of bread while studying for hours.

Nothing new though, my sister which studied Biology at the University of Bucharest was offered a great place to rent with her professor because she was so gifted in academics. Not once she used to hear the same professor getting a call from the Romanian KGB (Securitatea) and she was going through the list of students alphabetically to report on each of the student's activities.

The story is a recollection of a family member in a former Soviet system. I asked permission before posting it on a public forum.

The communist KGB (now FSB that is selling nationalism) is another brutal chapter in the history of the Eastern European land.

User @Felis Leo reminded me of the other chapter, the Okhranka which was the Tsar's secret service. If anyone knows more about the Tsar's former secret service -> learning means you are still alive so please share for a discussion.

Okhranka Tsar's secret police

Okhranka_group_photo.jpg

KGB communist secret police

KGB_agents.jpg

Last edited:
On a side note, the US actually supported Ceausescu for a while because he tried to distance Romania from its Soviet overlords.

On a side note, the US actually supported Ceausescu for a while because he tried to distance Romania from its Soviet overlords.
Lots of theories are going around.

Another theory is that when he went to Moscow, Mikhail Gorbachev told him in 1989 "This is the last time we will be seeing each other".

Prior to the revolution in 1989 @ Timisoara events information has come to light that a lot of Serbian nationals who were KGB members went inside Romania and this is who really started the events that toppled him in Bucharest later on.

---> So I agree with your statement that at times he was rebellious towards the Soviet Union and he was becoming annoying.

However, the crimes were the same as in the Soviet Union. Hunger and a terror system.

This is one of his speeches (his wife sits beside him):

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom