• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stop with these sob stories

He isn't wrong, though he has his own hand in it as well. This shut down is just as much their doing as it is his and them playing at being innocent is ruffling more than a few feathers.

So the Republicans controlled everything in Washington for the first 2 years of Trump's presidency. During that time, they could have appropriated as much money as they wanted for Trump's wall using budget reconciliation which would have only required a simple majority and there is nothing the Democrats could have done about it. Yet the Republicans didn't.

Then during a lame duck session, Trump and the Republicans shut down the government for a wall that those Republicans had 2 years they could have appropriated the money for using budget reconciliation with a simple majority that the Democrats could not have blocked. Yet, the Democrats are equally to blame? There is a reason why the vast majority of Americans do not share your view on this.

It seems like pure evil how many Democrats seem to really want people to suffer and die because of the shutdown, having a contest of who can more happily envision the worst possible levels of death and suffering.

Oh please.

So the Republicans controlled everything in Washington for the first 2 years of Trump's presidency. During that time, they could have appropriated as much money as they wanted for Trump's wall using budget reconciliation which would have only required a simple majority and there is nothing the Democrats could have done about it. Yet the Republicans didn't.

Then during a lame duck session, Trump and the Republicans shut down the government for a wall that those Republicans had 2 years they could have appropriated the money for using budget reconciliation with a simple majority that the Democrats could not have blocked. Yet, the Democrats are equally to blame? There is a reason why the vast majority of Americans do not share your view on this.

You know, I know and a whole bunch of other people know neither fact nor reason works with republicans. It's just so much easier to blame the dreaded liberals for everything.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Thank you for yet one more 100% fact-free analysis.

Its the responsibility of congress to pass a budget that the president will sign or has a veto override in the senate. That's a function of how our system of government works. So if the President isn't willing to sign a budget that doesn't make him a hostage taker. You ability to understand government or plainly common sense is so small I don't know why I am responding to you at all.

You're patronizing tone aside,
It most certainly does. 800,000 workers are being used as a bargaining chip by Trump which is really unjust as they are innocent. It's not hostage-taking taking in the criminal sense, it's hostage-taking in the metaphorical sense. In my view this act should be a crime.

Trump is basically saying give me 5.7 billion for a border wall or I won't sign the CR to fund the gov. Not signing the CR doesn't make him hostage taker per se but if the reason he's doing it is because he's not getting his way then it is altogether a different story. If Pelosi wear to acquiesce then this would encourage Trump to hold 800000 workers hostage every time a CR comes up and he doesn't get his way. You don't negotiate with hostage-takers-- all it does is encourage more hostage-taking.

Now McConnell has refused to override his veto

In essence McConnell and Trump are complicit in this hostage-taking that is a fact.

Last edited:
Apparently you did, so there is that at the very least.

Didn't make anything up. Your boy is a narcissistic scumbag who initially took the blame for what is now the longest US government shut down. He repeatedly stated during Obama's presidency its the fault of the president when a shut down occurs. Poor leadership. It sure describes 5 deferment cadet fake bone spurs. Its all on tape.

Where did you get that figure?

Also, in general, government jobs (local, state and Fed) tend to pay less, but have good benefits, and usually good job stability.

Of course, with unions being attacked by Republicans for decades, it has taken a toll on the wages for blue collar jobs. (thanks Reagan)

Try this:
Federal Employees Earn 50% More Than The Private Workforce ...
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/.../federal-employees-earn-50_b_8855508.html
Dec 21, 2015 - 2015-12-21-1450726786-2953756-FedEmployees.jpeg ... The average federal worker costs the government (aka taxpayers) $119,934.

Yep... same with ACA, they had 8 years to come up with something better, or at least fixes for ACA.. So in 2017 they get the whole government, and it turns out the GOP had NOTHING! No replacement, no fixes, nothing..

The GOP can not govern, all they know how to do is cut taxes for their rich donors and hate liberals.

I think I found the "propaganda"...

Most janitors, security guards, and cafeteria servers, even people in IT, project management and research don't make 119 large a year, and TSA employees certainly don't. Coast Guard doesn't pay that for rank and file.
You're talking about GS-Supergrade, now known as GS-Senior Executive Service level personnel.

And by the way, millions of those "average worker(s) not in government" have a racket known as "contracting with the government through the private sector", but if I asked you to give even one example of such a private sector job, you couldn't come up with bupkus.

Here's a hint: Cybersecurity firms are an example of essential government contracting which is right now in the dark and offline thanks to the shutdown. Yeah, some racket, keeping our data infrastructure safe from hostile adversaries.

You just love to hear yourself talk, the existence of actual facts is irrelevant to you, just as it is to any right wing crackpot.

Please don't reply with more nonsense, the HP is not a rightwing source

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/.../f...b_8855508.html
Dec 21, 2015 - 2015-12-21-1450726786-2953756-FedEmployees.jpeg ... The average federal worker costs the government (aka taxpayers) $119,934.

Yep... same with ACA, they had 8 years to come up with something better, or at least fixes for ACA.. So in 2017 they get the whole government, and it turns out the GOP had NOTHING! No replacement, no fixes, nothing..

The GOP can not govern, all they know how to do is cut taxes for their rich donors and hate liberals.

See my sig, I firmly believe it, I watch it, the GOAL of EVERY GOP Politician is to cause government to fail!

I suppose President Trump could just give Nancy Pelosi a rubber stamp with his signature and go on a 2 year vacation. That is what you're suggesting, right? Just give the Democrats 100% of everything they want and then no one who works for the government will complain. No one else really matters but them anyway - other than everyone who isn't a citizen who are certainly more important than any American.

Trump doesn't have to give the democrats a single thing. Reopen the government, and then continue negotiations. That option is on the table for him. He is the one using the government shutdown as leverage to try to get his own way.

and companies with federal contracts aren't getting paid either. maintenance, construction, military/industrial complex it goes on and on.. lots more being affected then just government workers.

First of all, if we have to hear about the families who cannot get money because trump as a president shutdown the government. My advice is fund the government and, let’s talk because these people won’t get their own way.

The longer it goes the worse its going to get. I just hope there isn't a disaster some where in the country as a direct result.

Try this:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/.../federal-employees-earn-50_b_8855508.html

Did you read the link? They are not comparing same type of work, public vs private. They are comparing different types of jobs. It is no surprise one working as an inspector for the government, will making more than someone working at Target.

But, CATO was the main source for the article, so it is not surprising they screwed with the numbers to make their false claim.

The Cato study showed that federal government work had the fourth highest compensation as of 2014, eclipsed only by company management functions at $143,809, utilities at $135,055, and mining at $135,003. Federal government employees fare better than information management employees ($118,678), finance/insurance ($118,007), and those in the professional/scientific disciplines ($106,020). The average government worker salary is more than twice that of the average educational worker ($56,201) and over three times that of retail workers ($36,650).

Are they claiming avery federal employee makes $120k year? Gimme a break.

Did you read the link? They are not comparing same type of work, public vs private. They are comparing different types of jobs. It is no surprise one working as an inspector for the government, will making more than someone working at Target.

But, CATO was the main source for the article, so it is not surprising they screwed with the numbers to make their false claim.

Are they claiming avery federal employee makes $120k year? Gimme a break.

I knew I'd get some attempt at a contradiction. Move along, undisclosed, move along

I knew I'd get some attempt at a contradiction. Move along, undisclosed, move along

That was not very slick, Slick.

Keep reading my posts. It may accomplish 2 things:

You might learn something.
You might figure out which way I lean politically.

Unless you are trying to conserve the ignorance of your posts.

That was not very slick, Slick.

Keep reading my posts. It may accomplish 2 things:

You might learn something.
You might figure out which way I lean politically.

Unless you are trying to conserve the ignorance of your posts.

Another ignorant tidbit, you're dismissed:
Federal Workers are Overpaid. On the other side of this issue, there have been studies concluding that
federal employees are generally paid substantially more than private sector workers. These studies usually
consider salary and benefits rather than just federal salaries.Apr 26, 2017
https://www.fedsmith.com/2017/04/26/federal-employees-overpaid-underpaid/

Please don't reply with more nonsense, the HP is not a rightwing source

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/.../f...b_8855508.html

I believe you think you found an interesting source but your defective link only brings up their front page, so please try again.
In the meantime, peruse the following:

OPM.GOV - General Schedule

It is IDIOTIC for you to look at OPM.GOV pay schedules and then pretend that you don't believe them.
So, clearly you didn't bother, or you cannot comprehend the data.

Bottom:

The GS-1 pay grade generally marks an entry-level position. Starting salary for a GS-1 employee is $18,526.00 per year at Step 1, with a maximum possible base pay of $23,171.00 per year at Step 10. The hourly base pay of a Step 1 GS-1 employee is $8.88 per hour.

Top:

GS-15 pay is capped at level V of the Executive Schedule. Starting salary for a GS-15 employee is $105,123.00 per year at Step 1, with a maximum possible base pay of $136,659.00 per year at Step 10. The hourly base pay of a Step 1 GS-15 employee is $50.37 per hour.

(Source: https://www.federalpay.org/gs/2018)

Senior Executive Service (SES) (formerly known as GS-Supergrade)
Level Description
Agencies with a Certified SES Performance Appraisal System $126,148- $189,600
Agencies without a Certified SES Performance Appraisal System $126,148- $174,500

(Source: https://www.federalpay.org/ses/2018)

The president should do the state of the union from his office or in New York just kidding. But I’m sorry this is a pathetic joke Nancy should have known better. If you made the president shutdown and, then you decided to go to something I’m sorry but you’re in the same situation as everyone. So I suggest to stop being a fool and come to the table and ask the president for deal that trump has a upper hand

I suppose President Trump could just give Nancy Pelosi a rubber stamp with his signature and go on a 2 year vacation. That is what you're suggesting, right? Just give the Democrats 100% of everything they want and then no one who works for the government will complain. No one else really matters but them anyway - other than everyone who isn't a citizen who are certainly more important than any American.

Pelosi ISNT the President. Do you know how Kate stainly was murder or she isn’t even important because her murder is ? Disgusting

You're patronizing tone aside,
It most certainly does. 800,000 workers are being used as a bargaining chip by Trump which is really unjust as they are innocent. It's not hostage-taking taking in the criminal sense, it's hostage-taking in the metaphorical sense. In my view this act should be a crime.

Trump is basically saying give me 5.7 billion for a border wall or I won't sign the CR to fund the gov. Not signing the CR doesn't make him hostage taker per se but if the reason he's doing it is because he's not getting his way then it is altogether a different story. If Pelosi wear to acquiesce then this would encourage Trump to hold 800000 workers hostage every time a CR comes up and he doesn't get his way. You don't negotiate with hostage-takers-- all it does is encourage more hostage-taking.

Now McConnell has refused to override his veto

In essence McConnell and Trump are complicit in this hostage-taking that is a fact.

One could say Pelosi is taking 800,000 workers hostage over not wanting to pass a bill that provides funding for a wall. Or senate democrats who filibustered a bill that was passed in the house back in December, they filibustered a bill and caused this shutdown harming 800,000 workers but they arnt the bad guy in your mind.

First of all, if we have to hear about the families who cannot get money because trump as a president shutdown the government. My advice is fund the government and, let’s talk because these people won’t get their own way.
Stop funding Congressional operating expenses including travel, salary, expenses, and utilities to all congressional buildings.

Stop funding Congressional operating expenses including travel, salary, expenses, and utilities to all congressional buildings.

And stop funding white house security . cooks, and maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom