• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stop using so much English

I do not have a circumflex on my keyboard and I need to go into a character map to find one.

Yah. Or - when I'm in a hurry - you can just type in the word or phrase on your browser; & copy, cut & paste the phrase you're looking for.

I do not have a circumflex on my keyboard and I need to go into a character map to find one.

I feel your pain. I often write in French and find myself doing "alt" and a series of numbers with my right hand on the numbers to get the right accents. At least when I tried studying Czech on Duolingo they provided the diacritical marks for me to insert. I cannot imagine having to do all of those by hand!

I feel your pain. I often write in French and find myself doing "alt" and a series of numbers with my right hand on the numbers to get the right accents. At least when I tried studying Czech on Duolingo they provided the diacritical marks for me to insert. I cannot imagine having to do all of those by hand!

If you have a spellchecker on your PC, see if you can set French as your language for that document (or folder). Then when you run spellcheck, it should scan for French.

If you have a spellchecker on your PC, see if you can set French as your language for that document (or folder). Then when you run spellcheck, it should scan for French.

Thank you. I will see what I have on this computer!

Isn't English a language? So wouldn't it be included in all the languages gotten rid of?

I think your major premise has a problem.

southwest88:

Behold a world given over to mime! That's his real agenda perhaps.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Most of the French people were not alive during WWII. You live in the past, I'm afraid.

History tends to repeat itself, so maybe the French should start practicing up on their German language skills. And you all in Spain on your Arabic skills....;)

History tends to repeat itself, so maybe the French should start practicing up on their German language skills. And you all in Spain on your Arabic skills....;)
Arabic is not an EU language.

Arabic is not an EU language.

I was once (parts) and looks like it may be again (future).

So best you start practicing...LOL.

No Arab country has applied for membership of the European Union.

You missed my point. The topic was about people in France upset by too much English language. I said they should all be happy they aren't speaking German as that was TWICE a real possibility. I then said you folks in Spain should be happy you aren't still speaking Arabic as was once the case for large part of Spain... and who knows, may happen again.

The EU is bag of horse poop anyway. Why would any country want to be in that unless they are already a C level nation in the first place?

I think English need to throw out all that French influence those pesky Norman brought. Only then will it be a true Brexit.

You missed my point. The topic was about people in France upset by too much English language. I said they should all be happy they aren't speaking German as that was TWICE a real possibility. I then said you folks in Spain should be happy you aren't still speaking Arabic as was once the case for large part of Spain...

The Moorish influence on Spain was very important in its development. Here is one opinion of how useful the addition of Arabic was to the culture of the people who lived in Spain.

I think English need to throw out all that French influence those pesky Norman brought. Only then will it be a true Brexit.
You clearly don’t understand that there is a difference between being open to foreign influence and being in a political club that is on the road to ruin lol.

I’d also point out that the U.K. is probably the most culturally diverse country in Europe...Moslems,Hindus, Chinese ,Caribbean’s, Africans have lived peacefully here for many generations now.

You missed my point. The topic was about people in France upset by too much English language. I said they should all be happy they aren't speaking German as that was TWICE a real possibility. I then said you folks in Spain should be happy you aren't still speaking Arabic as was once the case for large part of Spain... and who knows, may happen again.

The EU is bag of horse poop anyway. Why would any country want to be in that unless they are already a C level nation in the first place?
There is no possibility of a resurrection of El Andaluz where I live. Your criticism of the European Union is adolescent. You write like the U.S. president. Sorry for the insult.

There is no possibility of a resurrection of El Andaluz where I live. Your criticism of the European Union is adolescent. You write like the U.S. president. Sorry for the insult.
No offense taken. You are from Spain, not from England, Japan, or Canada . Nothing you say could offend us. Americans don't dwell too much thinking about Spain.

The Normans were Vikings. The real lasting influence brought to England came from Saxony.

Most of the French people were not alive during WWII. You live in the past, I'm afraid.

The past tends to repeat itself.

French journalists covering the European Union have complained to the bloc's chiefs about the increasing use of English in their communication which they say gives un "competitive advantage" to the anglophone press. The French section of the Association of European Journalists reminded Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and Council President Charles Michel in a letter dated September 23 that the use of several European languages in the communication of any EU institution is a legal obligation enshrined in founding treaties.
https://www.euronews.com/2020/09/25/stop-using-so-much-english-french-journalists-tell-eu-commission

English enjoys a sort of lingua franca status in the modern world but with Britain having left the Union, Ireland with a population of under five millions remains the only English-speaking member of the EU with a population of 446 millions. It could have been predicted that the use of English within the EU will lose importance. French was once the preferred diplomatic language and the French journalists are speaking up for less English si vous plait.

Last edited:
Let them speak Luxembourgish! :)

English enjoys a sort of lingua franca status in the modern world but with Britain having left the Union, Ireland with a population of under five millions remains the only English-speaking member of the EU with a population of 446 millions. It could have been predicted that the use of English within the EU will lose importance. French was once the preferred diplomatic language and the French journalists are speaking up for less English si vous plait.

There are signs of buyer's remorse among the English; will their return to the EU solve the problem? Or the Saxons having been gracious enough to leave of their own free will to simply make sure they stay out? You know de Gaulle never wanted them in the first place

Let them speak Luxembourgish! :)

Or a European commission could be set up to design a new European language. It could make for interesting debates. Should this new Eurolingua borrow heavily from the sing song, melodious tendency of the Italians? Should it stay clear of the Latin tendency to assign genders to nouns?

Back
Top Bottom