• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stop foreign aid

I rather spend it on football lights for the United States boarder Officers, I could care about those people because can we just separate legal immigrants from illegal immigration for a minute? Or illegal immigration isn’t in any vocabulary?
I was, in fact, talking about undocumented immigration. Next time, try reading my post, thanks.

I rather spend it on football lights for the United States boarder Officers, I could care about those people because can we just separate legal immigrants from illegal immigration for a minute? Or illegal immigration isn’t in any vocabulary?

You completely avoided responding to each and every specific he point he made. Now why is that?

How about stopping the War on Drugs and saving an estimated $50 billion a year. Then you can build 10 walls, and reduce illegal immigration.

This is a very basic outline

Show me in the United States constitution because I cannot remember where it states that the United States must give money to others

Foreign policy is mostly in the hands of the president, in the larger sense, the Executive Branch.

Budgeting is in the hands of the Legislative, mostly the House of Representatives.

& we don't actually give money, of course. We enact so much per category, per country - economic, military, security, agricultural, etc. aid. That money typically is spent in the US, & the services &/or goods shipped to the country that's to receive the aid. It's worked that way for a long time now.

We’re wasting our money on these countries and, they are sending their people for what? We are going to sending $10 billion dollars to Mexico and south in foreign aid and, we cannot get $5 billion dollars for the wall? What would happen if the President stop sending the money to those countries and, use it for the wall?
Which countries?

Foreign aid is a way to leverage our goals in the World

So it’s our job to take care of everyone?

Is it the US' job to take care of the World? No. Is it in our interest that politics & policy in the World not be driven by hunger, irrationality, hate, despair, sickness, fear, loathing? Yes.

Our engagement in the World is driven by our self-interest. Yes, we think that universal literacy, education, good government, health, adequate food & water will help people make sense of the World, & that rationality is in our interest & in making the World a better place for all of us.

We’re wasting our money on these countries and, they are sending their people for what? We are going to sending $10 billion dollars to Mexico and south in foreign aid and, we cannot get $5 billion dollars for the wall? What would happen if the President stop sending the money to those countries and, use it for the wall?

Foreign aid is already only less than 1% of the federal budget (with Trump planning to slash this by 24% next year), and giving foreign aid is proven to have an enormous return on investment. I don't know much about Mexico specifically in terms of where the money is going, but the money we are sending to Northern Triangle countries are meant to strengthen the economy and security in these areas (Read more: The Northern Triangle Enhanced Engagement Act, which recently passed in the House). If people in these countries are still in a bad living situation, they will continue to try and emigrate to countries like the U.S., even if we have a wall (the majority of illegal immigrants are from overstayed visas anyways). Foreign aid makes much more sense because it eliminates the need for immigration in the first place.

History has shown that as people transition from barely surviving into becoming consumers, it opens new markets for U.S. companies and creates American jobs. So basically, foreign aid could also lead to people at home getting jobs! We spent $1 billion helping Taiwan in the 60s, now we make around $30 billion a year on exports. Similar story with China, India, Brazil, etc. This aid is not just a handout- it is strengthening our economy and national security as well. Foreign aid is the smart choice.

infographic_development.jpg

Global Poverty and U.S. Jobs - The Borgen Project
Global Poverty and National Security - The Borgen Project

Back
Top Bottom