• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stop and frisk thrown out by fedral court.

James D Hill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
The unfair and racist stop and frisk laws of NYC are on the way out. A fedral court has put a stop to the practice and it is a good thing. No way a cop should search you for no reason looking for guns and pot. If a crme was commited then go for it but if not no search.

It wasn't the fact the cops were doing it as it was who they were doing it to [mainly Blacks and Hispanics]

The fact that crime was at an all time low make one believe they were doing a :good_job:

It wasn't the fact the cops were doing it as it was who they were doing it to [mainly Blacks and Hispanics]

Ya, and it wasn't really thrown out, so you still get the chance for random molestation by police... It was just the part of targeting non-white people.

The fact that crime was at an all time low make one believe they were doing a :good_job:

But at what cost?

Especially when you consider that about 90% of the time the police are harassing people that have done nothing wrong.

And the fact that crime is at an all time low in many places without a stop and frisk policy is irrelevant!! :roll:

And the fact that crime is at an all time low in many places without a stop and frisk policy is irrelevant!! :roll:

Or the fact that there are places with stop and frisk laws that don't violate the law (Philadelphia).

Unfortunately they were also violating a lot of people's constitutional rights.

Which is not a good thing.

It will be interesting to see if the homicide and crime rate goes back up. But I always thought the Stop and Frisk was unconstitutional based on the profiling of minorities.

The unfair and racist stop and frisk laws of NYC are on the way out. A fedral court has put a stop to the practice and it is a good thing. No way a cop should search you for no reason looking for guns and pot. If a crme was commited then go for it but if not no search.

I've never heard of this before. Are we saying it is or recently was legal for NYC cops to frisk people without arresting them first?

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see if the homicide and crime rate goes back up. But I always thought the Stop and Frisk was unconstitutional based on the profiling of minorities.

I always thought it was unconstitutional because they don't have a warrant or probable cause to search an individual.

but it's all good in NYC, the cops can still stop and frisk white people and not get in trouble.

I've never heard of this before. Are we saying it is or recently was legal for NYC cops to frisk people without arresting them first?

yes.. it was, and still is, legal to frisk someone without arresting them.

they don't even need probable cause....

it's called a Terry stop.. and all that's needed is "reasonable suspicion of involvement in criminal activity"

Good. I don't give a **** if it was racial profiling or not, stop and frisk should be a no-go without actual cause.

it's called a Terry stop.. and all that's needed is "reasonable suspicion of involvement in criminal activity"

Yikes.
Next thing, you'll have to always carry ID. And hand it over when told to.
This is the sort of stuff that needs to be resisted and defied, loudly. Publicly.

It is legal for the police to pat down someone they have stopped, even without probable cause, in order to ensure their safety

The problem was they were stopping black people in a disproportionate manner as a matter of policy

And "involvement" has a very loose definition

I think I'm more concerned with the term "reasonable suspicion"...but you are correct

they might as well drop all the jargon and call it a "cuz I said so search"

basically, there has to be some "nexus" to crime, but that can mean as little as "in an area known for (insert crime here)"

It's similar to the justification for drunk driving stops

Yikes.
Next thing, you'll have to always carry ID. And hand it over when told to.
This is the sort of stuff that needs to be resisted and defied, loudly. Publicly.

good luck defying it...LEO loves it,those in power love it, and SCOTUS backs them up.

you got nuthin'... unless you are a minority

good luck defying it...LEO loves it,those in power love it, and SCOTUS backs them up.

you got nuthin'... unless you are a minority

Yeah, well, where I live the cops aren't allowed to search you without arresting you. You don't have to present ID but if you're driving they can stop you at random and ask for a license and insurance but they can't search your vehicle without arresting you. If they want to harass you they can do a roadside safety check for lights and signals etc.
Defy it. Civil disobedience is a powerful force. Gandhi made the British Empire back down by defying bad laws.

It is legal for the police to pat down someone they have stopped, even without probable cause, in order to ensure their safety

The problem was they were stopping black people in a disproportionate manner as a matter of policy

It may have been more a matter of geography; the geographic area where violent crime is prevalent and the population within that geographic area which made it skew that way. When I was in NY after the hurricane, this issue was all over the news, for months.

Did the crime rate reduce in the areas where this was occurring? If not, fine. Stop. If it indeed dropped, then the program was working, and should continue. After a time, it could be scaled back, and then eventually stopped, or reduced to a limited and almost nonexistent level.

Unfortunately they were also violating a lot of people's constitutional rights.

Which is not a good thing.

Apparently the judge in this matter only saw a problem when the cops looked in people's pockets. Otherwise, 'suspicion' was enough reason to search them. (her words not mine)

Probable Cause and Reasonable Suspicion legal definition of Probable Cause and Reasonable Suspicion. Probable Cause and Reasonable Suspicion synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

Crime rates have been going down since the mid 90's my friend. Cop's acting like a bunh of rednecks has little to do with it.

When you give up freedom in the name of secuity you losee both.

Or the fact that there are places with stop and frisk laws that don't violate the law (Philadelphia).

It is wrong everywhere it is used my friend. If they are after guns then ignore small amounts of pot. A pot bust looks bad on your record when the fact is it is far less dangerous than booze.

And they where making lots of money from pot bust. That just added fuel to the fire.

Back
Top Bottom