• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stolen valor

Do you get a lot of discounts in the US if you're a Vet?

Yea there are a good amount of discounts for active and Guard/reserve soldiers. I'm sure there are discounts for prior service as well- I'm just not aware of them.

Ex-Rankers always made the best officers in my experience. The young officers that came out of Sandhurst with a stiff upper lip always had to work very hard to earn any kind of respect, I'd say 70% of them didn't deserve respect.

Makes sense.

Easy to respect the rank, very hard to respect the person behind it.

Do you get a lot of discounts in the US if you're a Vet?
Standard at a lot of places is a 10% discount. Great and people should take advantage of it but its not like its purely benevolent. 1-they expect to get more business from veterans. 2-they write it off as a tax/business expense. Win win.

Things sort of ebb and flo depending on the current conflict situation. Many areas, and especially small counties, are experiencing compassion fatigue.

Standard at a lot of places is a 10% discount. Great and people should take advantage of it but its not like its purely benevolent. 1-they expect to get more business from veterans. 2-they write it off as a tax/business expense. Win win.

Things sort of ebb and flo depending on the current conflict situation. Many areas, and especially small counties, are experiencing compassion fatigue.

So there is a massive financial gain from being a Walt in the US? I wondered why stolen valor seems to be more widespread in the US. Is it mostly because of financial gain?

So there is a massive financial gain from being a Walt in the US? I wondered why stolen valor seems to be more widespread in the US. Is it mostly because of financial gain?
I dont think you see a ton of people doing it for that reason. For one...most places require that you show an actual military ID card. I suspect for most its low self esteem. And really...it gets pointed out but I dont know that we are talking about MILLIONS of people doing it. A lot...but in the great grand scheme of things.

I suppose its not a lot different than people that enlarge their own record of sport prowess, except the military has a bit of cache because people die. Its different claiming "I was a star and coulda made the pro's but my knee gave out" vs "I was a SEAL."

An example though...I dont really have much a preference of Home Depot over Lowes...but a-Home Depot is slightly closer to my home and B-they always offer a 10% military discount. Lowes only offers it during remembrance days. Nothing personal AGAINST Lowes...it doesnt bother me that they dont and if their product was better I would still choose Lowes over HD.

An example though...I dont really have much a preference of Home Depot over Lowes...but a-Home Depot is slightly closer to my home and B-they always offer a 10% military discount. Lowes only offers it during remembrance days. Nothing personal AGAINST Lowes...it doesnt bother me that they dont and if their product was better I would still choose Lowes over HD.

I hate " bloaters" more, guys that served but lie about what they did in the service. They should know better.

I hate " bloaters" more, guys that served but lie about what they did in the service. They should know better.
I think 'war stories' always get a little blown out of proportion, but agree...if you have served, wearing medals you didnt earn or claiming service you didnt accomplish is vile. But you know...there is a phenomenon we have seen in our soldier population where half of those that commit suicide have been the ones that DIDNT deploy. The military is a brotherhood...but deployed/combat service is a completely different animal. Many that havent been in it feel excluded from those that have. Its tough being isolated within an isolated environment.

strange, it is just the opposite here in Utah and AZ...

Yea it's tough to verify when they have the knowledge about training cause their rack mate told them

Yea it's tough to verify when they have the knowledge about training cause their rack mate told them

I once heard a fellow British soldier telling an American girl that he was awarded an American purple heart because he got inured saving US Marines. Couldn't believe my ears, although he did get the girl into his bed so there is that I guess.

I once heard a fellow British soldier telling an American girl that he was awarded an American purple heart because he got inured saving US Marines. Couldn't believe my ears, although he did get the girl into his bed so there is that I guess.

Haha so that's more common in America. My buddy is in the Navy- very skinny kid, obviously not a SEAL. Tells all the ladies at the bar he just graduated BUDs. They buy it every time.

I don't consider that as bad as other types. He just used the line a few times to pick up a girl he will never see again. That doesn't offend me. I just think it's stupid.

strange, it is just the opposite here in Utah and AZ...

The Layton Home Depot does offer mil discount but the Lowes here doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom