• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stolen firearm used in East Austin homicide part of increase in gun crime

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/st...austin-homicide-part-of-increase-in-gun-crime

A stolen gun turns up at the scene of deadly shooting in Austin’s second homicide of the year.

Recent data from an Austin Police Department report on gun crimes in the city shows violent offenses involving guns in Austin went from 631 in 2014 to 996 in 2018.
===================================================================
This is what happens when you let everyone carry a gun: 'The most common weapon used are pistols, which are getting stolen more than any other firearm -- most out of vehicles.'

'The stars at night are big & bright....'

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/st...austin-homicide-part-of-increase-in-gun-crime

A stolen gun turns up at the scene of deadly shooting in Austin’s second homicide of the year.

Recent data from an Austin Police Department report on gun crimes in the city shows violent offenses involving guns in Austin went from 631 in 2014 to 996 in 2018.
This is what happens when you let everyone carry a gun: 'The most common weapon used are pistols, which are getting stolen more than any other firearm -- most out of vehicles.'

Is there anything in the article you cited that said the specific firearm in question was actually being "CARRIED" by anyone when it was stolen, or even stolen out of a car?

And yet...no one wants to talk about pistols, just those scary assault weapons.

And yet...no one wants to talk about pistols, just those scary assault weapons.
40 years ago-the Democrat Party argument

Pistols are

1) easily concealable
2) used in most firearms related crimes
3) are not all that accurate
4) have no hunting value (a lie but its one of their arguments)
5) are not "militia relevant" (again a lie but one of their arguments
6) often inexpensive

but the attempts to ban handguns faded when the public support waned and then Heller put a serious crimp in the bannerrhoid schemes

so in 1986 or so-one of the leaders of the bannerrhoid movement-decided to attack these firearms "assault weapons" that are

1) hard to conceal
2) very accurate
3) usually expensive
4) militia useful
5) are often used for hunting
6) rarely used in crime

and if you merge their two arguments you get this

cheap guns and not cheap guns should be banned
easily concealable guns and ones that are hard to conceal should be banned
guns used for crime often and guns rarely used should be banned
guns that aren't often used for hunting and ones that are, should be banned
inaccurate and accurate guns should be banned

in other words, they want to ban all guns

Is there anything in the article you cited that said the specific firearm in question was actually being "CARRIED" by anyone when it was stolen, or even stolen out of a car?

Yes. the article states that "The report states 4,241 firearms were listed as stolen in the past five years. And by 2018, a gun was over four times more likely to be stolen from a car than from a home."

Not sure why people are leaving firearms in their cars. They have a right to...but it isnt very smart.

Yes. the article states that "The report states 4,241 firearms were listed as stolen in the past five years. And by 2018, a gun was over four times more likely to be stolen from a car than from a home."

Not sure why people are leaving firearms in their cars. They have a right to...but it isnt very smart.

It is probably easier to find one's gun in a car than in a home.

But four times more likely to be stolen from a car than from a home tells me there is a lot morons leaving their gun visible from outside the car.

It is probably easier to find one's gun in a car than in a home.

But four times more likely to be stolen from a car than from a home tells me there is a lot morons leaving their gun visible from outside the car.

In Florida it used to be required that a gun be visible if carried in the passenger area.

One of my recruiters had a holster sewn into the transmission hump of his Camaro.

Gun racks galore in the pick up trucks. Many at the local high school. With guns mounted.

Gun racks galore in the pick up trucks. Many at the local high school. With guns mounted.

Not these days. The school's insurance people would ****. They would just drop trousers when they saw it and **** all over the parking lot.

especially if they can be seen from the street. I keep a gun in my car-locked in the trunk, in a locked box secured to the spare tire. Yeah, if someone forces the trunk and has heavy duty bolt cutters they might be able to get the gun

And old photo of my school's parking lot would send them into convulsions.

Well, yeah. That's also what's having elementary school kids arrested for acting out, and teens being arrested for a simple fist fight.

In Florida it used to be required that a gun be visible if carried in the passenger area.

One of my recruiters had a holster sewn into the transmission hump of his Camaro.

It has been a long time since I've seen a rifle in the rack of a back window of a pickup.

But true there was a time you could do that. There was also a time in which I cannot remember my parents ever using their car keys to open the car doors with as the car door lock was just some useless accessory.

And old photo of my school's parking lot would send them into convulsions.

I graduated in 2001, even then every time hunting season arrived the parking lot was full of guns and more than a few were those scary "assault weapons".

I graduated in 2001, even then every time hunting season arrived the parking lot was full of guns and more than a few were those scary "assault weapons".

And what can you hunt with a ,223 caliber assault weapon? Squirrels?

In my state getting a carry permit s about as easy as reaching the countertop to sign your name on a form. Who knows how many cars are armed? In a road rage encounter, if it's me against a guy with a gun, that's like taking a knife to a gun fight.

I carry an imported (from a trip I took with my wife to Ireland) authentic Irish blackthorn walking stick. See Genuine Irish Blackthorn Walking Stick with Thorn bumps Since I had a bad leg break & can convincingly walk with a limp, having a cane in my car is easily explained to the police. But it also makes a great defensive weapon.

Not that I saw. Call their editor for more of the grisly details.

.223 is good for small to medium size game, you would typically want a .308 for hunting deer or similar size game.

There are some that would hunt deer with a .223 but I personally wouldn't.

Go-ahead try and ban handguns and see how much support you lose from Liibs across the board. Banning those scary ARs is one thing but baning hand guns is NEVER going to happen .

Go-ahead try and ban handguns and see how much support you lose from Liibs across the board. Banning those scary ARs is one thing but baning hand guns is NEVER going to happen .

I've always said there are a lot of people who find no utility in guns in general, but nevertheless find some comfort in that pistol in their nightstand.

I've always said there are a lot of people who find no utility in guns in general, but nevertheless find some comfort in that pistol in their nightstand.

Yeup, they are confused.

lets see

coyotes-AR style is best available choice
feral hogs-ditto
woodchucks
prairie dogs
wolves
nutria

and with some of the other calibers

Deer
Antelope
Big hogs.

Not that I saw. Call their editor for more of the grisly details.

in other words, your rant was not supported by the known facts?

Yeup, they are confused.

Some people just don't care until their own ox is gored. Just kind of a reluctance or even inability to see beyond their own circumstance.

Back
Top Bottom