• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stocks & corporate profits are at a record high, but Obama is destroying the economy?

Re: Stocks & corporate profits are at a record high, but Obama is destroying the econ

The effective tax rate is what matters. The data has been presented, and the US has an average CIT rate with regards to developed countries.

Whats the effective tax rate in the rest of the world? Why isnt 25% too high?

Re: Stocks & corporate profits are at a record high, but Obama is destroying the econ

Whats the effective tax rate in the rest of the world? Why isnt 25% too high?

The world average is around 20%, while the average CIT rate among developed countries ranges between 25% and 27%, depending on how you define the parameters, e.g. financial, multinational, etc....

The world average is around 20%, while the average CIT rate among developed countries ranges between 25% and 27%, depending on how you define the parameters, e.g. financial, multinational, etc....

So then the US has the highest corporate tax rate in the world, both statutory and effective.

So then the US has the highest corporate tax rate in the world, both statutory and effective.

No, that would go to Japan and various European nations.

No, that would go to Japan and various European nations.

And they are considered economic juggernauts:roll:

And they are considered economic juggernauts:roll:

Because they are.

Because they are.

You mean Europe that is with the exception of the uk and Germany teetering in the edge of financial oblivion.

You mean Europe that is with the exception of the uk and Germany teetering in the edge of financial oblivion.

What is with all the dramatics coming from the right? "Teetering on the edge of financial oblivion".... Maybe Cyprus.

Because people with opposing political views can NEVER, and will NEVER admit that anything good could ever happen while the opposition is in charge.

In fact some will even be proactive in making things worse for the masses while the opposition is in charge.

Demagoguery should be banned.

Because people with opposing political views can NEVER, and will NEVER admit that anything good could ever happen while the opposition is in charge.

In fact some will even be proactive in making things worse for the masses while the opposition is in charge.

Saw that demonstrated in a remarkable fashion during the Bush administration.

Wheres your source?

You don't take my word for it?

It depends. If by economy you're referring to the working man? For example, to avoid the extra-tax penalties of ObamaCare, businesses are making some full-time employees into part-time employees. Some wage earners work less hours and make less money.

If by economy you're referring to businesses hiring more workers? Well, even though some businesses are making more employees part-time because of ObamaCare tax penalties, businesses are actually hiring the same. The pay potential is not the same, however.

Putting it succinctly, it's ObamaCare's effect on jobs.

Last edited:

You don't take my word for it?

No, I do not. If youre going to claim that US taxes are not high, then youll have to actually make an argument supported by logic and facts. Everything youve posted so far supports the opposite.

The record profits are somewhat tied to the record lack of raises and automation. Here is a result. Read it and weep.

Who would have bet on this? CHEVY IMPALA WINS CONSUMER REPORTS

We're not "teetering". Unfortunately, we are globalizing our wages. What else could you expect?

No, I do not. If youre going to claim that US taxes are not high, then youll have to actually make an argument supported by logic and facts. Everything youve posted so far supports the opposite.

Sources:

1.)

2.)

etr.jpg

You have provided nothing but opinionated drivel.

Sources:

1.)

2.)

You have provided nothing but opinionated drivel.

Your chart proves my point yet again! But of youre now just going to name calling, Ill move on.

Your chart proves my point yet again! But of youre now just going to name calling, Ill move on.

You have provided nothing but conjecture, while failing to read my sources in their entirety.

etr2009.jpg

Can you identify the trend?

You have provided nothing but conjecture, while failing to read my sources in their entirety.

View attachment 67150951

Can you identify the trend?
What that there is not a lot of data on these other countries or that most of these aren't power house economies which trend am I looking for?

Can someone PLEASE explain how corporate taxes can be so high and yet corporations like Bank of America are paying ZERO corporate taxes?

Can someone PLEASE explain how corporate taxes can be so high and yet corporations like Bank of America are paying ZERO corporate taxes?
Corporatist loopholes being put into our massive tax code if you want to stop that your for something more simple like the fair tax or the flat tax.

How can both be true?

you can make just as much money betting on a little league game as you could a major league game

Tax laws.

Simple. In order to pay taxes, you have to have income. 2006 was the last time Bank of America had meaningful income. It paid $10.8 billion in taxes on $32 billion in income. Then the financial crisis came and the bank made the brilliant decision to buy Countrywide. Although the bank was able to utilize previous losses incurred by Countrywide to shelter income, I don't think anyone can say that the bank's purchase has been anything short of a disaster. Losses in the bank's consumer mortgage unit have totaled tens of billions of dollars. The bank wrote off $15.5 billion in goodwill in 2010-11 and has reserved well north of $100 billion for loan losses since 2007.

So as an investment, I can't see much to crow about. In 2011, the bank's return on equity was .04%. Last year it was 1.27%, a big improvement over 2009 and 2010 when it was zero. Even though Bank of America shareholders had income tax benefits, I did better over that time span in my credit union share account with absolutely no risk to my principal. But if anyone thinks this bank is a great investment they can knock themselves out. It trades on the NYSE, symbol BAC.

http://media.corporate-ir.net/Media_Files/IROL/71/71595/AR2012.pdf

Back
Top Bottom