• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stock market soars to new bull market. Republicans praise Biden for it. One of those two is correct.

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Republicans are crying to see the good news. How are they supposed to win in 2024 with this? They'll just have to find more sabotage. Cause that railway strike, block that debt ceiling, something.

Part of me wonders why the stock market fluctuates so easily.

I thought the best strategy was to buy low and keep it for awhile, even through the rises and dips.

But then, without those who don't hold I suppose those dips and rises wouldn't happen.

So really I guess the stock market is the people willing to resist the sell urge taking advantage of those who can't resist.

Well, #1 has to be true for #2 to even be possibly true. So I'm going with #1?

Anybody who thinks the stock market is great must not have any stocks.

I haven't look at my 401k in a couple of months.. I just did today.. It looks a HELL of a lot better than it did than when Trump tanked the market in 2020...

Part of me wonders why the stock market fluctuates so easily.

I thought the best strategy was to buy low and keep it for awhile, even through the rises and dips.

But then, without those who don't hold I suppose those dips and rises wouldn't happen.

So really I guess the stock market is the people willing to resist the sell urge taking advantage of those who can't resist.
Not exactly. Most stock trades are now done on the ultra high speed networks located near the stock market, which are designed by a lot of Ph.D's from the sciences, and are essentially parasites draining money out of the market.

Republicans will eventually get the recession that they want.

Not exactly. Most stock trades are now done on the ultra high speed networks located near the stock market, which are designed by a lot of Ph.D's from the sciences, and are essentially parasites draining money out of the market.

So...what, the algorithm hears that there was a speech and the markets go up because it triggered a buy order based on that?

Edit: Nope.

It's just making trades in microseconds to make money off the tiny gaps on the graph which are much larger at a tiny timescale

So...what, the algorithm hears that there was a speech and the markets go up because it triggered a buy order based on that?
No, events like a speech are a different effect on the market than the micro-trading algorithms. The micro-trading goes on all day every day, while events affecting the market are more occasional.

Republicans are crying to see the good news. How are they supposed to win in 2024 with this? They'll just have to find more sabotage. Cause that railway strike, block that debt ceiling, something.

Nothing in your link brings up "Republicans crying about this news". You'd have to support that claim. After that, I don't know what the railway strike has to do with Republicans or how they are causing any of the issues with that company and their workers. Could you explain that more?

Beyond that, things are still expensive as ****. The October inflation report still had it at 7.7%. That's what effects people and what they care about.

There only needs to be a very small transaction tax to stop this parasitism on the system.

Republicans will eventually get the recession that they want.
It is indeed enevitable. Bust follows boom which follows buts which follows bom which....

The sun also rises and sets.

It's like we didn't learn anything from game stop.

Because computer algorithms do all the trading these days.
Most, not all. As I understand, there are four main types of traders now.

1. Broad investors, indexes, mutual funds, that are having a big effect on the markets by reducing the effects on individual companies of investor reactions.

2. Individual stock traders, these are everyone from Warren Buffet buying and selling individual stocks to a person doing so on a smaller scale. I'll include short sellers in this.

3. Day traders, who might buy or sell at 9AM hoping to make money in hours. On average, they lose money as I understand.

4. The parasites that do most trades, with the automated high-speed systems, algorithmic trading.

The parasites that do most trades, with the automated high-speed systems, algorithmic trading.
My understanding is this accounts for something like 98% of all the trading these days.

High frequency trading has changed everything on Wall Street... Because of high frequency trading Wall Street no longer gives a shit how Main Street is doing..

And i dont give a shit about them (day traders and high frequency traders)

why?

Because what they are doing doesnt really affect me

I still buy companies based on old fashioned information

And i hold on to them for decades unless there is a GOOD reason to sell

I maybe make 2-3 actual new trades a year, other than my dividends reinvesting

I have some stocks in my portfolio that have been there for 25-30 years

I only wish i had more cash at certain times to put into beaten down stocks

The market and real estate are still the two most reliable ways to earn wealth over LONG timeframes

Biden must be so proud. The S&P 500 is almost exactly where it was 2 years ago when he took office.

If the market has soared so well please explain why my portfolio is still well behind what it was a couple of years ago.

The stock markets are not the economy.

Back
Top Bottom