• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stock Market Plunges Today - Biggest Loss Since Feb.

You haven't seen anything yet if the Democrats retake Congress, what is their economic plan again?

They're going to take away all your money. And your guns. And teach your kids to be gay.

Tax cuts that boost consumption will widen the trade deficit. That's a simple fact. It's not an opinion.

Depends where that consumption comes from, doesn't it? how the Canadian and Mexico trade deal affects the deficit will be determined but all the gloom and doom isn't being felt by business and the American public. Tax cuts certainly boost consumer spending, the number one component of GDP and that also boosts other revenue streams to the state, local, and federal govt. but way too much focus is on Federal Income taxes as well as the tariffs

Common sense tells me that opinions don't trump actual data and facts, post the treasury data showing tax cuts reducing revenue. I know that China appreciates your support. China has had a trade surplus with us for years why doesn't that bother you?

Where does the government get it's money from? Besides colecting tariffs, I mean. Could it be 'from taxes'?

They're going to take away all your money. And your guns. And teach your kids to be gay.

Awesome, no cost to this country at all as people will continue to find jobs with no one spending, great strategy. Didn't realize that guns and being gay were economic strategies

Where does the government get it's money from? Besides colecting tariffs, I mean. Could it be 'from taxes'?

Of course it is from taxes, why don't you figure out what taxes you pay and their purpose. Then figure out why all those taxes are put into a big bucket and used however the bureaucrats want regardless of their purpose

Of course it is from taxes, why don't you figure out what taxes you pay and their purpose. Then figure out why all those taxes are put into a big bucket and used however the bureaucrats want regardless of their purpose

So if taxes represent the government's revenue, and they reduce the taxes, what happens to their revenue?

So if taxes represent the government's revenue, and they reduce the taxes, what happens to their revenue?

So what do you do when you get to keep more of your own money? Ever take a trip? What taxes do you pay on that trip? Ever invest extra money into the stock market, what taxes do you pay on any return? Ever buy anything at the store with extra cash, what taxes do you pay there? You and the left are so focused on income taxes you ignore what other taxes you pay and their purpose. 4 million new jobs have been created and these people are paying Income Taxes, Payroll taxes, spending money paying sales taxes, excise taxes on gasoline, and contributing to charities.

You don't use mid january as the starting point for the year.
January 2nd is the starting point of the year.

in which it was at the numbers i posted above.
nothing i said was incorrect.

Ok let's go there then. Market closed at 24,719.22 on January 2nd, Looks like it's going to just hang on to finish at just about 25,000 today. So only a little of that 2000 point gain you're bragging still remains. If there is another selloff of 300 points or more tomorrow then that 2000 point gain will be completely wiped out.

Ok let's go there then. Market closed at 24,719.22 on January 2nd, Looks like it's going to just hang on to finish at just about 25,000 today. So only a little of that 2000 point gain you're bragging still remains. If there is another selloff of 300 points or more tomorrow then that 2000 point gain will be completely wiped out.

yet it is still there isn't it?
yes it is. we judge markets on a year to year basis by the way.

the fact is you were wrong when you claimed that the market hadn't moved anywhere in 9 months.
that is all that matters.

You haven't seen anything yet if the Democrats retake Congress, what is their economic plan again?

In the greater scheme of things this isn't really all that bad when you look at the percentage of the market loss vs the points loss. The percentage of market value today was 2.1%. Which comes to a little more than 5% since Tuesday. That's not like the 3 or 4 7%+ single day losses that came together in a short span of few weeks in 2008. So it would not appear that we are on the cusp of a recession. But it may be a wake up call to investors to perhaps reassess their position in the market given the amount uncertainty there is out there now. But a recession will come. It's not a question of if. It's just a question of when. Then the question becomes then what is the Repubs going to do then? You have already used the jump start of a tax cut. Which has probably if anything overheated the economy. And you have engaged in massive deficit spending. Which means you have used a lot of your bullets and now have not much ammunition left with which to counter a recession.

Depends where that consumption comes from, doesn't it? how the Canadian and Mexico trade deal affects the deficit will be determined but all the gloom and doom isn't being felt by business and the American public. Tax cuts certainly boost consumer spending, the number one component of GDP and that also boosts other revenue streams to the state, local, and federal govt. but way too much focus is on Federal Income taxes as well as the tariffs

1. There's nothing in the new NAFTA that will have a meaningful impact on the trade deficit so you are deflecting
2. The increase in consumption necessarily leads to an increase in the trade deficit. This is an obvious, common fact known by everyone that has any kind of basic understanding of economics

So if Tariffs don't affect the trade deficits there truly is nothing to discuss

I said they don't reduce the trade deficit. And again, you deflected instead of responding to me.

Here's the sad truth. You rail against China and the horrible US trade deficit, then at the same time support a tax cut that massively increases the trade deficit. You support tariffs even when it's a basic fact that all they do is harm US consumers and investors. Both of these facts are simple, proven, and already played out which you can't seem to comprehend. You contradict yourself constantly and either are completely oblivious to it (which would imply some kind of cognitive limitations) or you don't care (which would imply, again, cognitive limitations, or that you are trolling).

Last edited:
yet it is still there isn't it?
yes it is. we judge markets on a year to year basis by the way.

the fact is you were wrong when you claimed that the market hadn't moved anywhere in 9 months.
that is all that matters.

Having reading problems again? Where did I say that the market hadn't moved anywhere in 9 months? I never said that. I simply pointed out that the 2000 point gain from the beginning of the year you alluded to earlier is nearly completely gone. Which kind of renders your point as being meaningless.

In the greater scheme of things this isn't really all that bad when you look at the percentage of the market loss vs the points loss. The percentage of market value today was 2.1%. Which comes to a little more than 5% since Tuesday. That's not like the 3 or 4 7%+ single day losses that came together in a short span of few weeks in 2008. So it would not appear that we are on the cusp of a recession. But it may be a wake up call to investors to perhaps reassess their position in the market given the amount uncertainty there is out there now. But a recession will come. It's not a question of if. It's just a question of when. Then the question becomes then what is the Repubs going to do then? You have already used the jump start of a tax cut. Which has probably if anything overheated the economy. And you have engaged in massive deficit spending. Which means you have used a lot of your bullets and now have not much ammunition left with which to counter a recession.

The problem with your argument is this there has not been massive deficit spending, tax cuts aren't spending and aren't an expense. Want to try again?

1. There's nothing in the new NAFTA that will have a meaningful impact on the trade deficit so you are deflecting
2. The increase in consumption necessarily leads to an increase in the trade deficit. This is an obvious, common fact known by everyone that has any kind of basic understanding of economics

I said they don't reduce the trade deficit. And again, you deflected instead of responding to me.

Here's the sad truth. You rail against China and the horrible US trade deficit, then at the same time support a tax cut that massively increases the trade deficit. You support tariffs even when it's a basic fact that all they do is harm US consumers and investors. Both of these facts are simple, proven, and already played out which you can't seem to comprehend. You contradict yourself constantly and either are completely oblivious to it (which would imply some kind of cognitive limitations) or you don't care (which would imply, again, cognitive limitations, or that you are trolling).

There isn't much to respond to as your opinion is all you have at this point, there isn't enough data to claim that the tariffs are hurting but trade deficits do reduce GDP and affect the economy. How do tax cuts lead to deficit spending????????? It is your money, you choose to spend it or not but if you do spent it other tax revenue grows

The problem with your argument is this there has not been massive deficit spending, tax cuts aren't spending and aren't an expense. Want to try again?

Oh, so this deficit just came out of nowhere? The deficit is 18 percent greater than last year. The FY 2018 budget created a $833 billion deficit. Spending of $4.173 was greater than the estimated $3.340 revenue.

Last edited:

Trump got new concessions from Canada that benefit US Dairy Farmers. The new agreement also prevents Canada from establishng new trade agreements without first informing the US.

Increase in consumption only leads to trade deficit if you're no longer producing the consumed items, and have exported those jobs overseas. You don't seem to care about jobs and employment. Regular people do.

Tariffs do provide a level playing field for US goods and workers, albeit at the cost of higher prices. The real benefit is in using the threat of them to compel others to lower their tariffs to US goods, so that American workers can have that level playing field without hiking prices for consumers.

How would a tax cut increase the trade deficit? Foreign companies are operating on foreign soil - they're not subject to US taxes. Why do you oppose US tariffs, but say nothing about tariffs of other countries?

Having reading problems again? Where did I say that the market hadn't moved anywhere in 9 months? I never said that. I simply pointed out that the 2000 point gain from the beginning of the year you alluded to earlier is nearly completely gone. Which kind of renders your point as being meaningless.

sorry that was someone else that said it hadn't move in 9 months.
after a while 1 nonsense argument runs into another.

Bill Maher must be happy. He's been hoping for something like this so Trump will get blamed.

So who do you blame? I love when the market is up a president gets credit, but when it start to dive, the ghost did it.

Oh, so this deficit just came out of nowhere? The deficit is 18 percent greater than last year. The FY 2018 budget created a $833 billion deficit. Spending of $4.173 was greater than the estimated $3.340 revenue.

Yes it is, how about telling me why? Is it possible that the debt service on the 21 trillion dollar debt with rising interest rates had anything to do with it? How about entitlement mandatory spending increases. Tell us exactly why this is something Trump is responsible for?

So who do you blame? I love when the market is up a president gets credit, but when it start to dive, the ghost did it.

Why do you have to blame someone or one individual? What are the Democrats going to do if they regain power?

Why do you have to blame someone or one individual? What are the Democrats going to do if they regain power?

My comment is not partisan. No matter who is president the blame is the same.

My comment is not partisan. No matter who is president the blame is the same.

Same question, you are voting Democratic, why? what are they offering that benefits the American public and at what cost?

Yes it is, how about telling me why? Is it possible that the debt service on the 21 trillion dollar debt with rising interest rates had anything to do with it? How about entitlement mandatory spending increases. Tell us exactly why this is something Trump is responsible for?

Why? It's simple. We are spending more money than we are taking in. The tax cuts will only exacerbate that problem. If the economy is as strong as you say then economic common sense tells you that is when you should be looking to reduce deficits. Not add to them. In the second quarter 2018, the U.S. debt-to-GDP ratio was 104 percent. With a growing deficit that ratio will only increase which means you can probably look forward to seeing even higher interest rates.

Back
Top Bottom