• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stock market news lives updates: Stocks fall, S&P 500 heads for worst first half in 52 years

gbg3

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I knew the stock market was struggling, but I didn't realize it was the worst first half in 52 years!

"Amid the myriad concerns facing markets as of late, stocks are on track to close out the worst first half of a year in decades. Based on Wednesday's closing prices, the S&P 500 is set to post a 19.9% decline for the first six months of the year — its worst performance since 1970. For the month of June alone, the index is on track to slide by 7.6%."

Wasn't the S&P 500 around 650 in 1970? Can someone who understands numbers tell me if a 17% drop from 650 is a lot more painful than a 17% drop from 4,000?

I know it's the same percentage but I have the idea that taking a 17% beating from 650 is a helluva lot worse than a 17% beating from 4,000.

Am I wrong? It wouldn't surprise me if I am.

There's no difference, Lou.

A 17% correction is a 17% correction regardless of how high the 500 was/is.

Granted, if the 500 fell into a 17% correction over the course of a few days, as compared to, say, over several weeks or months, it would feel more dramatic and severe … but your S&P 500 index fund would still be down 17% from the recent high.

I knew the stock market was struggling, but I didn't realize it was the worst first half in 52 years!

"Amid the myriad concerns facing markets as of late, stocks are on track to close out the worst first half of a year in decades. Based on Wednesday's closing prices, the S&P 500 is set to post a 19.9% decline for the first six months of the year — its worst performance since 1970. For the month of June alone, the index is on track to slide by 7.6%."

All thanks to Biden, and his stupid financially irresponsible liberal progressive agenda, and the middle class gets crushed. We tried to tell everyone the cost of a Biden administration. They don’t care about us obviously

All thanks to Biden, and his stupid financially irresponsible liberal progressive agenda, and the middle class gets crushed. We tried to tell everyone the cost of a Biden administration. They don’t care about us obviously

You realize you’re posting bullshit right?

European stocks log worst quarter in years as investors stress over inflation and rate hikes. Declines in Europe come as global market sentiment remains gloomy.
We're not the only country in the world.
Tell that to people who have lost lots of money in their 401K accounts.

Biden just told us the economy is great! Biden administration is a ultra failure!

No, I present fact. The middle class is getting crushed and as Biden said, the buck stops with him.

BTW- Biden needs a haircut. His collar line looks Bush league.

It's somehow Trump's fault.

Tell that to people who have lost lots of money in their 401K accounts.

Biden just told us the economy is great! Biden administration is a ultra failure!
401(k) is a supplement for your retirement.

Could be worse. They could’ve put Social Security in IRAs. Then you’ll be really screwed in retirement

Not only has he single handedly caused world wide inflation, he now is responsible for markets falling all over the world. Next up is the toughest challenge he faces as the summer progresses and Atlantic storms approach: matching Trump’s ability to change the path of a hurricane.

But I’d be interested in knowing how his progressive agenda tanked the markets.

Biden is terrible. He could instantly take action to get more oil produced and gasoline refined if he was so damn stupid and committed to the Green Agenda. Hey, wind/solar is not going to replace fossil fuels, just not going to happen.

Biden is terrible. He could instantly take action to get more oil produced and gasoline refined if he was so damn stupid and committed to the Green Agenda. Hey, wind/solar is not going to replace fossil fuels, just not going to happen.
he should cut off the strategic supply but I'd rather he completey **** over this country.

Enjoy your $10 a gallon gas in your gas guzzling truck. I don't care. Democracy is on the way out anyway.

Not only has he single handedly caused world wide inflation, he now is responsible for markets falling all over the world.
Why do leftists keep making this claim?

Why do leftists keep making this claim?
I don’t make the claim. It’s the right that holds him personally responsible for world wide phenomena that also affect the US. Not unlike them blaming him because Trump’s buddy invaded Ukraine. Which by the way has had some effect on stuff they are blaming Biden for. The key principle is our dear wronged leader is gone and disgraced, so we have to attack his replacement, even tho we have no solutions to offer.

61q6nun7tFL._AC_SL1455_.jpg

I don’t make the claim. It’s the right that holds him personally responsible for world wide phenomena
Can you provide a couple of examples? I haven't seen anybody make that claim.

The oil companies have admitted they are not drilling because they dont want the price of oil to fall. There are plenty of places the can drill but are not. See NYTimes, April 26 article by Clifford Krauss.

he should cut off the strategic supply but I'd rather he completey **** over this country.

Enjoy your $10 a gallon gas in your gas guzzling truck. I don't care. Democracy is on the way out anyway.
Gas prices have to be killing Trump supporters.

Can you provide a couple of examples? I haven't seen anybody make that claim.
People here have blamed him for inflation even tho it’s a world wide problem. Ditto oil prices, as if the oil companies and Putin’s invasion have no effect on the market.

Gas prices have to be killing Trump supporters.
When we run out of the SPR later this year, shits going to get real.

Democrats should be as evil as republicans for once at deplete our resources. I'm ready to watch the world burn.

Good governance is for suckers. **** the other guy.

Back
Top Bottom