• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Still missing Freddie Mercury

Sykes

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Didn't feel like burying a Queen video in the middle of the "What are you listening to" thread.

Every time I hear him, I am impressed. And his writing? Seriously?? Look at our crop of 'talent' today.

90d7b593fdfc74872edc20c12467eba4.jpg

Yeah, but really, comparing Freddy to Bieber and Cyrus is always going to be a flawed comparison. Not even apples and oranges, more like chocolate and bubblegum pink.

I don't disagree with you at all about Freddie Mercury but it's worth remembering that there was just as much popular trash around in Queen's heyday and there are plenty of talented songwriters working today. 50 years from now, today's trash will have been largely forgotten and at least some of the talent will be remembered.

Also, being world famous isn't all there is to it. I personally know a couple of musicians who would be more than capable of being successful professionally but simply have zero desire to go in that direction.

One of the greatest frontmen in the history of rock 'n roll. What a loss...

Yes, a great loss. Todays artists? are just, well, I can't say it here.

Yes, a great loss. Todays artists? are just, well, I can't say it here.

You're telling me. Honestly, I think music is, basically, dead. I think all that there is a law of diminishing returns, and, at this point, there is nothing left. I don't believe there will ever be a group as significant as The Beatles, ever again, or The Doors, or the Sex Pistols, or the Rolling Stones, or The Smiths, or Nirvana. I don't even think it's possible.

You're telling me. Honestly, I think music is, basically, dead. I think all that there is a law of diminishing returns, and, at this point, there is nothing left. I don't believe there will ever be a group as significant as The Beatles, ever again, or The Doors, or the Sex Pistols, or the Rolling Stones, or The Smiths, or Nirvana. I don't even think it's possible.

The best music of our times, I'm 61 y.o. and still like it.

The best music of our times, I'm 61 y.o. and still like it.

I don't doubt it. That's the test. Provided civilization hasn't collapsed, I think we can guarantee people will still listen to the Beatles, to the Ramones, to the Clash, to Bob Marley. I don't think anybody will give a **** about Justin Beiber, or Britney Spears, or whatever. That doesn't have the power to last. Truly great music lasts, because it has power.

Agreed. And I would say to those saying their version of yeah, he was good, but .....

He had a four-octave range, and he knew how to use it. His voice is instantly recognizable, nobody ever hears a song by him and wonders who they might be listening to. Not unless they'd never heard of him before. He was great before he died, not "Oh, he's dead, let's build him up a bit." No.

He was a great singer, he was a great songwriter. Either one would have been enough alone, but he was a double-whammy, AND an incredible showman, at least in part because he was so very charismatic.

This is interesting. Somebody put a lot of effort into this video.

I think there's always hope though. I'm trying to think who, if anybody compares. I know there are many solo artists who give me hope, such as Adele and Kimbra ... but groups? It's like the world's gone to boy band and we're ****ed on the 'mature music' front.

I don't doubt it. That's the test. Provided civilization hasn't collapsed, I think we can guarantee people will still listen to the Beatles, to the Ramones, to the Clash, to Bob Marley. I don't think anybody will give a **** about Justin Beiber, or Britney Spears, or whatever. That doesn't have the power to last. Truly great music lasts, because it has power.

There must be something wrong with me because I still absolutely love Bo Diddley too. His music was being played on the radio in the 1960's, and it's still a memory in my mind. I pretty much stopped listening to new artists in the early 90's. It didn't appeal to me.

They could rip it up from time to time too.

Even his covers were fabulous!

The Barcelona sessions w/ Monserrat were amazing. Freddie Mercury transcended musical genres. No telling what he could have done.

one of the best voices and front men in rock history..

Didn't feel like burying a Queen video in the middle of the "What are you listening to" thread.

Every time I hear him, I am impressed. And his writing? Seriously?? Look at our crop of 'talent' today.

View attachment 67166498

I agree that Freddie Mercury is head and shoulders above the garbage you mentioned but it's probably overstating it to say he wrote Bohemian Rhapsody. He may well have written the melody and the chord changes (the "lead sheet" in musical terms), which gets him songwriter credits, but the song wouldn't be what it is today without it's arrangement. And that probably included the rest of the guys in Queen as well the producer(s) and the recording engineers. Creating a song, even back then, was very much a communal effort.

I agree that Freddie Mercury is head and shoulders above the garbage you mentioned but it's probably overstating it to say he wrote Bohemian Rhapsody. He may well have written the melody and the chord changes (the "lead sheet" in musical terms), which gets him songwriter credits, but the song wouldn't be what it is today without it's arrangement. And that probably included the rest of the guys in Queen as well the producer(s) and the recording engineers. Creating a song, even back then, was very much a communal effort.
By all accounts, Bohemian Rhapsody was very much his own creation, fully formed in his mind. He was certainly capable of arranging the track and I've no dobut he had a major hand in that too. That's not to say the other band members, musicians and studio crew weren't key factors too, but Freddie Mercury was very much the creative focus, certainly on Bohemian Rhapsody.

I don't disagree with you at all about Freddie Mercury but it's worth remembering that there was just as much popular trash around in Queen's heyday and there are plenty of talented songwriters working today. 50 years from now, today's trash will have been largely forgotten and at least some of the talent will be remembered.

Also, being world famous isn't all there is to it. I personally know a couple of musicians who would be more than capable of being successful professionally but simply have zero desire to go in that direction.
Yeah, every decade has it's crap and it's gems. That said I will take yesterday's crap over a lot of the mainstream garbage out today.

EDIT - Queen is one of the bands I truly admire, four genius musicians on their instruments in one band, a rare feat. All of them could write a great song, and all of them could play like nobody's business.

Back
Top Bottom