• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Steve Scalise Returns to House

vesper

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
After a grueling 3 1/2 months of recovering from gunshot wounds that nearly took his life, Steve Scalise returned to work today in the House. He gave an awesome speech detailing the shooting along with thanksgiving to those who saved his life. It is a wonderful speech from a very grateful heart.

My Heartfelt appreciation goes out to Steve Scalise! He has earned his Badge of Honor!

Surviving multiple Gunshot wounds and serving in the U.S. House of Representatives places him in rarefied company. He joins the ranks of Rep. Jackie Speier. If you know of any others in the House of Representatives who have survived gunshots, please post their names.
Speier entered politics by serving as a congressional staffer for Congressman Leo Ryan. Speier was part of his November 1978 fact-finding mission organized to investigate allegations of human rights abuses by Jim Jones and his Peoples Temple followers, almost all of whom were American citizens who had moved to Jonestown, Guyana, with Jones in 1977 and 1978.[4] Speier was one of two members of the mission who made wills before traveling to Jonestown.[9] Several Peoples Temple members ambushed the investigative team and others boarding the plane to leave Jonestown on November 18. Five people died, including Congressman Ryan. While trying to shield herself from rifle and shotgun fire behind small airplane wheels with the other members of the team, Speier was shot five times and waited 22 hours before help arrived.[10] That same day, over 900 of the remaining members of the Peoples Temple died in Jonestown and Georgetown in a mass murder-suicide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Speier

Such a terrible state the fringe politics have produced.

Unfortunately our political parties accept and stoke much of this fervor, including the President. It is of course, how they remain in power.

My Heartfelt appreciation goes out to Steve Scalise! He has earned his Badge of Honor!

Surviving multiple Gunshot wounds and serving in the U.S. House of Representatives places him in rarefied company. He joins the ranks of Rep. Jackie Speier. If you know of any others in the House of Representatives who have survived gunshots, please post their names.

Gabriella Giffords, comes quickly to mind.

Wiki: Gabrielle_Giffords

A lot of liberals on Facebook celebrated the assassination attempt of politicians just because of differing political beliefs. I wonder how many of them are on this forum?

Yep. Thanks for that quick recall! Reviewing the link, I saw she resigned one year into her third term to concentrate on healing.

Go Gabby!
While not a Congressman, James Brady actually came first to mind. Then there's both JFK & RFK, an American tragedy if there ever was one.

We live in a freakin' violent country!

A lot of liberals on Facebook celebrated the assassination attempt of politicians just because of differing political beliefs. I wonder how many of them are on this forum?

While not a Congressman, James Brady actually came first to mind. Then there's both JFK & RFK, an American tragedy if there ever was one.

We live in a freakin' violent country!

Yep. Arthur Bremer shot and paralyzed Gov. George Wallace. Reportedly, Bremer, now free, served 36 years in prison and never apologized.

Yep. Arthur Bremer shot and paralyzed Gov. George Wallace. Reportedly, Bremer, now free, served 36 years in prison and never apologized.
I haven't followed this.

It's hard to make a case supporting Wallace, that's for sure. But still.

Anyway, think I'm going to research this.

Thanks.

I think Steve Scalise's speech was one of the best to come out of Washington in a very long time.
His focus on the compassion and goodness of most people in this country that he personally experienced was something that needed said when we live in a world where the media 24/7 focuses overwhelmingly on the evil. And he pointed out that compassion can't be labeled by party.

This thread is about Steve Scalise and his speech today.

After a grueling 3 1/2 months of recovering from gunshot wounds that nearly took his life, Steve Scalise returned to work today in the House. He gave an awesome speech detailing the shooting along with thanksgiving to those who saved his life. It is a wonderful speech from a very grateful heart.

Thankful, humble and from the heart!

Woooo! Glad he's okay.

Really? A 'lot of them? Name, oh, 10.

Really? A 'lot of them? Name, oh, 10.

The tribute page for people celebrating Anthony Hodgekinson's assassination attempt had over 1000 members before it was deleted so there are at least 1000 liberals who supported his assassination attempt. If you want the full numbers and names you'll have to see if the FBI and/or Facebook will provide that to you.

The tribute page for people celebrating Anthony Hodgekinson's assassination attempt had over 1000 members before it was deleted so there are at least 1000 liberals who supported his assassination attempt. If you want the full numbers and names you'll have to see if the FBI and/or Facebook will provide that to you.

LOL! So you have nothing. Got it. Thanks.

The tribute page for people celebrating Anthony Hodgekinson's assassination attempt had over 1000 members beforefter

Steve Scalise went back to the House today after encountering 3 1/3 months of total Hell after nearly losing his life after being shot by a deranged Bernie supporter. He gave one of the best speeches from the Capitol ever given and the best most of you can do is turn this into everything but Scalise.

How disappointing.

Very few have given any kind of goodwill toward Scalise or commented on his excellent speech but instead this thread has turned into a piece of crap. Thanks a lot. What a pathetic joke on me for thinking posters at DP would be much better than this.

Last edited:
Steve Scalise went back to the House today after encountering 3 1/3 months of total Hell after nearly losing his life after being shot by a deranged Bernie supporter. He gave one of the best speeches from the Capitol ever given and the best most of you can do is turn this into everything but Scalise.

How disappointing.

Very few have given any kind of goodwill toward Scalise or commented on his excellent speech but instead this thread has turned into a piece of crap. Thanks a lot. What a pathetic joke on me for thinking posters at DP would be much better than this.
Every utterance by a politician is hailed as the Gettysburg Address in this day and age. I'm sorry to discover the ease at which you are impressed. This isn't to say that it's not great that Scalise survived the assassination attempt by a liberal. But more important than Scalise's survival is the fact that a political assassination attempt was committed and it wasn't universally condemned. That's bigger than Scalise's average speech.

Such a terrible state the fringe politics have produced.

Unfortunately our political parties accept and stoke much of this fervor, including the President. It is of course, how they remain in power.

That has got to be one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard anyone say. To say it in this thread is truly despicable.

Every utterance by a politician is hailed as the Gettysburg Address in this day and age. I'm sorry to discover the ease at which you are impressed. This isn't to say that it's not great that Scalise survived the assassination attempt by a liberal. But more important than Scalise's survival is the fact that a political assassination attempt was committed and it wasn't universally condemned. That's bigger than Scalise's average speech.

:moon: That doesn't excuse you being one who took this thread off topic.

How disappointing.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with people. Libs have lost their freakin' minds.

How disappointing.

When I saw the posting I wonder how people would behave and now we see. I guess it's the way people act now. Thanks for posting vesper!

When I saw the posting I wonder how people would behave and now we see. I guess it's the way people act now. Thanks for posting vesper!

Thank you Common Sense. It was an awesome speech. It was a time to celebrate the recovery of someone so wrongly attacked yet found so much goodness in his recovery not focused on the evil of the one who inflicted him.

But I guess partisanship because he is a conservative and a supporter of Trump he doesn't deserve any decency or wanted to make it about something else.

Last edited:
He has a long road ahead but it was a warm sincere welcome back to the House for Mr. Scalise.

That has got to be one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard anyone say. To say it in this thread is truly despicable.
I never called any Trumper a "deplorable", but if being an anti-Trumper, willing to call the President and the political parties out, earns me the name of a "despicable", I'll wear it proudly.

Our political parties have been stoking the flames of hate & anger, leading to violence, for far too long. And whether it's the nut that shot Scalise, or the nut that shot-up the pizza parlor looking for HRC's child molestation ring, there are unstable people that will act upon this political hate with violence.

And Trump only adds to it - greatly. He's a terrible leader, a terrible President.

And this is very much on-topic. Representative Scalise is a victim of this hateful rhetoric. He's not the first, and he won't be the last. But it needs to come to an end, if we desire to call ourselves a civilized society.

Back
Top Bottom