• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Steve King: No Legal Status for DREAMers

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
do some republicans even want to try and win the latino vote? because the antics of congressman steve king will not help win votes.

Rep. Steve King on Univision: No Legal Status for DREAMers - ABC News

But King (R-Iowa) isn't among that consensus. He told Univision's Jorge Ramos that such a proposal would violate "the rule of law."

"One of the pillars of American exceptionalism is the rule of law," he said in an interview that will air on "Al Punto" this Sunday. "If we destroy that because the sympathy in our heart for the DREAMers is greater than our love for the rule of law, then we have failed our founding fathers and we have diminished the destiny of this nation."

The Iowa congressman's comments indicate the GOP proposal will encounter resistance from the right. But that's not surprising. Last month, King led an effort to pass an amendment through the House that would defund President Obama's deportation relief program for young undocumented immigrants.

King said he wouldn't be open to considering legalization of any undocumented immigrants until the "rule of law" is restored -- meaning when the border is determined to be secure.

"It isn't my responsibility to solve that problem," he said. "American citizens and legal Americans do not have a moral obligation to solve the problem of the 11 million people that are here unlawfully. That's the condition they willfully stepped into on their own and some of them will make the decision on their own of what to do, many of them, actually."

The most heated moment of the interview, however, came when Ramos confronted King over a 2012 comment, in which the congressman compared how America selects immigrants to the process of picking "a good bird dog."

Here's the transcript of that exchange in full:

JR: You recently compared immigrants to dogs.

SK: No I didn't, that's a mischaracterization.

JR: Actually you, in a town hall meeting...

SK: Look at the original source. That didn't happen.

JR: I read it. And many people found it offensive.

SK: Did you watch the video? People write things on the internet all the time. But did you watch the video, the full video? That speech was about celebrating legal immigration...

JR: It was not a celebration.

SK: … And anyone that understands the language and the culture knows that if they saw the video.

JR: In a town hall meeting in Iowa, you actually compared immigrants to dogs. And many people would find that offensive and racist.

SK: I thought you would probably repeat yourself on that. I told you if you watch that video you would know that was a speech celebrating legal immigrants. Legal, not illegal immigrants. Legal immigrants. And I said they are the cream of the crop. It's the vigor of America that comes because people of all donor civilizations on the planet want to come here. They dream. We get the best ….

JR: So you don't want to apologize because of that comment?

SK: … that every country has to offer because of that. That was the speech. And it has been mischaracterized by people on the left. It's been intentionally and dishonestly done so to drive wedges between people on the basis of race …

JR: So you actually...

SK: … I think it's a sin to do that, Jorge.

JR: So from your point of view, you actually did not compare immigrants to dogs?

SK: I said that speech was about the vigor of legal immigration. It was a very complimentary speech and no I did not do that.

JR: I don't think many people found that complementary.

SK: I did not do that. And you should go back and look at the video. In fact, show the whole video on Univision and you'll know that.

JR: You know it is not complimentary to compare a group of immigrants to animals.

SK: You know I didn't do that if you watch the whole video. And I would challenge you to run the whole video on Univision. Run the whole video. Listen to the whole speech. Get a sense of what I was talking about rather than what the left-wing blogs are doing. They are trying to divide us instead of let us be unified as one people in this country.

the fact that steve king is saying things like this to Jorge Ramos, the "walter kronkite'" of latino media, shows how much Steve king does not understand why the Latino community considers immigration reform so important.

do some republicans even want to try and win the latino vote? because the antics of congressman steve king will not help win votes.

the fact that steve king is saying things like this to Jorge Ramos, the "walter kronkite'" of latino media, shows how much Steve king does not understand why the Latino community considers immigration reform so important.

Not all Hispanics support illegal immigration and amnesty. So the idea that opposing amnesty will cost republicans the Latino vote is absurd.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL65720390EB8D96FC
The American Spectator : The Spectacle Blog : Hispanics Against Illegal Immigration
Hispanics split on illegal immigration - USATODAY.com
Sen. Ted Cruz: GOP Won't Win Over Latinos By Backing Amnesty | Fox News Latino

My suggestion would be to stop assuming that Conservatives want to bid against the Democrats for the Hispanic vote. Then there will not be continual disappointment such as we see in the OP.

If any Hispanics want to be Conservatives, they'll come around and be welcomed. There is a requirement that you have to be a Social and Fiscal Conservative though.

It's not really a matter a matter of waiting for your loyalty to be purchased.

Last edited:
I personally am not against the Dream Act. They came as kids,didn't choose to come here. However,I have a major problem with people who knowingly crossed the border or overstayed a visa getting citizenship.

My suggestion would be to stop assuming that Conservatives want to bid against the Democrats for the Hispanic vote. Then there will not be continual disappointment such as we see in the OP.

If any Hispanics want to be Conservatives, they'll come around and be welcomed. There is a requirement that you have to be a Social and Fiscal Conservative though.

It's not really a matter a matter of waiting for your loyalty to be purchased.
I find it amusing that everyone who seems to be pushing this idea that the republicans need to push amnesty,dream act,"earned legalization" or some other form of amnesty for the latino vote are mostly pro-illegals liberals. That should be a clue that republicans do not need to push for amnesty,dream act or some other form of amnesty.

I personally am not against the Dream Act. They came as kids,didn't choose to come here. However,I have a major problem with people who knowingly crossed the border or overstayed a visa getting citizenship.

However as adult they are choosing to stay here, we should not reward them with legal status. We also do not know if they came here as a baby or came here at 16 or 17 years old.

Last edited:

Sorry - I don't get your argument - Congressman King challenged Mr. Ramos on what he considered lies and misrepresentations on the left of his words and ideas. Was Congressman King supposed to just let Mr. Ramos perpetuate the lies without challenge?

Tell you what - I think that your comparison of Mr. Ramos to Walter Kronkite, particularly with the "transcript" you provided, is an insult to any sentient American who isn't a mouthpiece for Debbie Wasserman-Schultz and the liberal smear machine.

Even to this day, my favorite pickup line is "you're as pretty as a rose and as clever as a ct". Then I take out a bouquet of hundred dollar bills. Works every time:roll:

Picking a good bird dog isn't more of an insult then my clever as a cat shtick (sp?). And that interruptive dude (never heard of him before) is no Walter Cronkite from what I saw.

That being said, I support the DREAM act completely. If you grew up here and you've been a well behaved citizen allowing for your youth, I'm not willing to tell you to **** off to some other country whose language you don't speak. That would be cruel and unnecessary. ....and now, that being said, the other illegals should be judged case by case. If they managed to become valuable citizens and they paid taxes then I say back of the line, no benefits for 10 years, $10,000.00 penalty. Didn't pay taxes? Sorry, keep looking over your shoulder because we will deport you if you ever show up in the system and if you've been convicted of anything at all, out you go after a year in the pen.

The idea of giving gang-bangers legal status does not appeal. The idea of giving a hospital worker or a smoke shop owner:) is morally reasonable. We need to learn to distinguish the good from the bad. Its the baby/bathwater thing. Lets improve our society, not disrupt it.

However as adult they are choosing to stay here, we should not reward them with legal status. We also do not know if they came here as a baby or came here at 16 or 17 years old.

True. Nothing is fool proof. I would say though that even in that regard,if they have shown themselves employed,and otherwise lawful it would be a start. As a country we do,in my opinion need to get something done to improve the status quo. The senate bill,with it's fake border security and unfunded fence,weak e-verify and enforcement provisions,and massive pathway to citizenshop is not the answer.

Back
Top Bottom