• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stereotypes

SNOWFLAKE

Crazy Canuck
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I was born to German parents.

I always heard that German's are considered "squareheads", lacking personality or enthusiasm, but also extremely precise (which is why they have such a high reputation for products made in Germany) to the point of being "anal" (obsessive with detail).

NOT being that kind of SNOWFLAKE, like those who are easily offended, I have to say I have to agree in general with that stereotype, though no stereotype can be universal, some Germans aren't squareheads.

So here is a question to ponder. Are some stereotypes actually accurate?

After all, stereotypes are formed from perceptions. We view the British is snobs or uptight. We view Italian men as Casanovas. Or Russians as mobsters and vodka drunks. French girls are awesome in bed. And the list goes on.

When used to slag a group of people, whether because of their nationality or religion or color, it is bigoted, even racist. We can agree on that, can't we? (I am sure some of you won't agree though).

But if we view a certain demographic a certain way is it always because of bigotry or racism?

If we say all blacks are lazy or all whites are entitled, that DOES sound like intolerance towards that group. But if we say Germans are squareheads and the Japanese overly polite, or say that Americans act spoiled and superior, is the stereotype necessarily WRONG?

To repeat, there are Germans who are not squareheads, Brits that are not snobs and Americans that are not spoiled. BUT IN GENERAL, are some stereotypes accurate?

Some one on here is bound to say Canadians are boring, which would be fairly accurate, so go ahead and say it :p

Canadians are boring. :)

I've always preferred the boombox as a great stereotype, but they are out of fashion right now.

I was born to German parents.

I always heard that German's are considered "squareheads", lacking personality or enthusiasm, but also extremely precise (which is why they have such a high reputation for products made in Germany) to the point of being "anal" (obsessive with detail).

NOT being that kind of SNOWFLAKE, like those who are easily offended, I have to say I have to agree in general with that stereotype, though no stereotype can be universal, some Germans aren't squareheads.

So here is a question to ponder. Are some stereotypes actually accurate?

After all, stereotypes are formed from perceptions. We view the British is snobs or uptight. We view Italian men as Casanovas. Or Russians as mobsters and vodka drunks. French girls are awesome in bed. And the list goes on.

When used to slag a group of people, whether because of their nationality or religion or color, it is bigoted, even racist. We can agree on that, can't we? (I am sure some of you won't agree though).

But if we view a certain demographic a certain way is it always because of bigotry or racism?

If we say all blacks are lazy or all whites are entitled, that DOES sound like intolerance towards that group. But if we say Germans are squareheads and the Japanese overly polite, or say that Americans act spoiled and superior, is the stereotype necessarily WRONG?

To repeat, there are Germans who are not squareheads, Brits that are not snobs and Americans that are not spoiled. BUT IN GENERAL, are some stereotypes accurate?

Some one on here is bound to say Canadians are boring, which would be fairly accurate, so go ahead and say it :p

Most stereotypes come from obvious cultural trends. In that respect, they are "accurate" in the sense that most cultures have unique trends that are easily identifiable to outsiders. A stereotype is just not necessarily an accurate predictor of any given person's beliefs, intelligence, capability, or personality, and to assume that it is could be insulting to someone who does not fit the stereotype, especially if that stereotype causes social problems for someone who is not a member of the dominant culture.

Most stereotypes come from obvious cultural trends. In that respect, they are "accurate" in the sense that most cultures have unique trends that are easily identifiable to outsiders. They are just not necessarily accurate predictors of any given person's beliefs or personality, and to assume that it is could be insulting to someone who does not fit the stereotype, especially if that stereotype causes social problems for someone who is not a member of the dominant culture.
AGREE, pointing out stereotypes should never be used as a slag (my term) or used as a slur, but at the same time, PC culture has made it all but impossible to even suggest French girls are the best kissers (they are, take my word for it) or that Italian men love to show off their chest hairs. ;)

AGREE, pointing out stereotypes should never be used as a slag (my term) or used as a slur, but at the same time, PC culture has made it all but impossible to even suggest French girls are the best kissers (they are, take my word for it) or that Italian men love to show off their chest hairs. ;)
I don't know. Comedians seem to get a lot of mileage out of stereotypes.

I don't know. Comedians seem to get a lot of mileage out of stereotypes.
BUT we still love our Newfies ;)

Reactions: lwf
Are some stereotypes actually accurate?
Absolutely they are, for the most part...thus the reason for them existing...I was born a redhead, from Scots-Irish descent...being a true hothead, I still fight my anger demon to this day...

The Dutch know how to make money.
The English know how to drink.
Czechs are either poets, musicians, or dancers. Sometimes all three.
Kenyans have iron clad bullshit detectors.
Cubans are snobs.
The French have no work ethic except if the job is protesting.
Australians have zero sense of humor.

Texans are compensating.
Californians are liberals in the streets and conservatives between the sheets.
Floridians don't know within 40 miles where they shit last.
Mainers are tired of Massachusetts.

This is interesting, now that I think about it, every encounter I have had with an australian was one where they did not get my jokes.

Of course, not!

For example, people usually say that Asians are good students. That is true. Of course, some Asians do not meet that generalization. But the majority do.

I do not want to ruin the upcoming weekend, so I shan't give any examples of negative generalizations, except to say this and then stop:

People who have spent some time in different countries report back that, yes, one can generalize about various ethnicities and nationalities and religions.

Last edited:
The Dutch know how to make money.
The English know how to drink.
Czechs are either poets, musicians, or dancers. Sometimes all three.
Kenyans have iron clad bullshit detectors.
Cubans are snobs.
The French have no work ethic except if the job is protesting.
I could do an entire OP about the Australians. Let me put it this way: over the last few years I have gotten into watching Australian comedies, and I end up pissing my pants in laughter every time. Closer to the dry humor Brits use. I appreciate it more than American - or Canadian - humor.

Of course, not!

For example, people usually say that Asians are good students. That is true. Of course, some Asians do not meet that generalization. But the majority do.

I do not want to ruin the upcoming weekend, so I shan't give any examples of negative generalizations, except to say this and then stop:

People who have spent some time in different countries report back that, yes, one can generalize about various ethnicities and nationalities and religions.
How do you know?

Bring married to a Jew, many of the stereotypes hold water. He has a ridiculously sensitive stomach and there is nothing he hates more in life than spending money.

Back
Top Bottom