• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stephen king's book 'the stand' and politics.

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
For those who have read the book, is it starting to feel like we are at the point americans are assembling on different sides of the rockies?

For those who have read the book, is it starting to feel like we are at the point americans are assembling on different sides of the rockies?
Are the conservatives who talk to god going to win this one too? Not sure.

I'm not understanding. Yes one side was portrayed as good and one as, not so good. Why do you say the good side were conservatives? Let's leave god out of it for the moment.

I'm not understanding. Yes one side was portrayed as good and one as, not so good. Why do you say the good side were conservatives? Let's leave god out of it for the moment.
Didn't they follow a lady who spoke to god? And lived in a quiet mountain community, and fought against people in a city? Pretty clear...

Stephen King isn't much a political writer. Sure, his tweets and public opinions are a different story. But I doubt he would be as immensely popular a writer as he is if politics in his books were obvious. He absorbs and reflects pop culture through horror and fantasy.

Let's not forget that conservatives rarely read books, so the politics of his fiction wouldn't matter much anyway.

No, but if it was, I'm already on the right side of the Rockies.

Oddly enough, those talking to "god" were the liberals. The conservatives followed Flag, you know, the Donald Trump like cat of the 80's.

Oddly enough, those talking to "god" were the liberals. The conservatives followed Flag, you know, the Donald Trump like cat of the 80's.
And the walking dude has his own disciple, like trump does with gaetz. Gaetz can be trashcan man.

that's one of my favorite books. i read it when i was pretty young. as i read more and more Stephen King, i found out that the book is one gem in the Dark Tower universe or multiverse. his work has a special place in my consciousness.

that being said, this isn't Captain Trips, and the Republican / Democrat thing isn't quite the same. for one, neither side has leaders who are that dynamic, and COVID doesn't kill almost everyone on the planet. "Baby, Can You Dig Your Man" isn't getting shitloads of airplay, and Mango isn't Randall Flagg. i suppose that there are some parallels in human behavior, though.

This is my favorite work of fiction of all time, just a colossal masterpiece.

I see what you are saying, I'll say that.
America is pretty divided, thats for sure. Lots of talk about civil wars and such, for now I dont see it happening any time soon.
I'm not sure what such a conflict now would look like. The differences are ideological more than they are separated geographically as they were during the 1800s.
How would you know who the "enemy" is?

The Stand, great book though.

This is my favorite work of fiction of all time, just a colossal masterpiece.

I see what you are saying, I'll say that.
America is pretty divided, thats for sure. Lots of talk about civil wars and such, for now I dont see it happening any time soon.
I'm not sure what such a conflict now would look like. The differences are ideological more than they are separated geographically as they were during the 1800s.
How would you know who the "enemy" is?

The Stand, great book though.
It's one of my all time favorites too. For me it would be the folks wearing hats that read make america great again.

I got to page 5,762 (it seemed like it), and gave up when it started to get really weird not long after the older chick he picked up with got sick and died. Such a promising start, but it became too dense. I think it could have been condensed quite a lot without losing any literary value.

I got to page 5,762 (it seemed like it), and gave up when it started to get really weird not long after the older chick he picked up with got sick and died. Such a promising start, but it became too dense. I think it could have been condensed quite a lot without losing any literary value.
Most Stephen King books since Carrie would never get published if not for it being King. His 500,000 word novels are simply too long for most publishers.

Lesson to learn. Make sure your first book is short. Then, write your manifesto.

It's one of my all time favorites too. For me it would be the folks wearing hats that read make america great again.
That's the beauty of that novel. He captures the vibe of the divide perfectly. I guess it wasn't hard to see this coming when the nation picked the Cowboy over the humanitarian incumbent. The blustering racist won by a landslide.

Up is down, left is right, truth is fake news and liberals worship god. Got it.

Back
Top Bottom