• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Stephen King and more than 600 US writers protest against Trump

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
An Open Letter To The American People: Writers Speak Out Against Donald Trump

Letter-Image-640x294.png

The more people or groups oppose Trump, the higher he climbs in polls.

I love Stephen King and several of the other writers coauthoring this letter, but I wouldn't take political advice from any of them any more so than I'd take political advice from Barbra Streisand or George Clooney or I'd take climate advice from Leo DiCaprio or Darryl Hannah.

Anyone who makes their voting decisions based on these types of bleatings should be disenfranchised based on their inferior intellect.

Anyone who makes their voting decisions based on these types of bleatings should be disenfranchised based on their inferior intellect.

Funny that CJ...

But in reality making voting decisions based on something like this, in terms of the alleged inferior intellect, pales in comparison to the inferior intellect it takes to actually go and vote for someone like Trump :shrug:

Funny that CJ...

But in reality making voting decisions based on something like this, in terms of the alleged inferior intellect, pales in comparison to the inferior intellect it takes to actually go and vote for someone like Trump :shrug:

Depends on why you vote for Trump, doesn't it? He sure wouldn't have been my choice to lead anyone, anywhere, but neither would I choose Hillary Clinton to lead anything I valued. But those decisions are based on my attention to the race and to the histories, as I know them, of both those individuals, not based on what some famous or quasi-famous person thinks of them.

Depends on why you vote for Trump, doesn't it? He sure wouldn't have been my choice to lead anyone, anywhere, but neither would I choose Hillary Clinton to lead anything I valued. But those decisions are based on my attention to the race and to the histories, as I know them, of both those individuals, not based on what some famous or quasi-famous person thinks of them.

Nope.

Hillary isn't great, I agree.

But Trump... Voting for him IS categorically an act of insanity.

There is no good reason for it.

The fact hat we have, for all practical purposes, been given a choice between two major party POTUS candidates who both have high negatives is the problem. This letter only addresses the negatives for Trump which, by implication, tells us that these 600 (liberal?) writers would rather have us vote for Hillary instead. Elections are often about choosing between the lesser of two evils - I remain unconvinced that Hillary is the better (best?) choice.

Nope.

Hillary isn't great, I agree.

But Trump... Voting for him IS categorically an act of insanity.

There is no good reason for it.

Hillary is easily as bad, likely worse

I love Stephen King and several of the other writers coauthoring this letter, but I wouldn't take political advice from any of them any more so than I'd take political advice from Barbra Streisand or George Clooney or I'd take climate advice from Leo DiCaprio or Darryl Hannah.

Not even Leo DiCaprio on climate? Come on, man !!! 97% !!!!!

While I would sign the letter if I were a writer, this whole affair may be counterproductive. On the top of the list, there is a bunch of hardcore leftists (and mediocre writers, as far as I have browsed and recognized names - Michael Chabon and Colm Toibin excepted, though the latter is not American). Nobody among the undecided voters cares what Junot Díaz or Andrew Altschul have to say. It may be playing straight into the Trump's narrative: Those from-the-outer-space weirdo elitists hate me because I love America and care about people like you!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom