• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Stephen Colbert at the Whitehouse corespondents dinner

I think he was hilarious. Judging from the shots of the audience most of the folk there did not get it, were worried or very pissed off. Scalia on the other hand was laughing his *** off. I wonder.. did they not know who Colbert was or did they greatly underestimate what he could do?

He was hilarious. A lot of recycled material, but still, he usually gives it to an audience of drunk 20 somethings. There he did it in front of the President, and he ripped the press at there dinner. Ballsy, very Ballsy. Don't know if it's the right thing to do, but you can't call the guy two faced. Whoever invited Colbert, got Colbert.

I thought he did a great job making them laugh and squirm! :rofl I thought Bush and his twin were funny too.

talloulou said:
I thought he did a great job making them laugh and squirm! :rofl I thought Bush and his twin were funny too.

The President was absolutely hilarious. That is where he is at his best for sure.

The mainstream media seems to have all but ignored Colberts performance at the dinner.

scottyz said:
The mainstream media seems to have all but ignored Colberts performance at the dinner.

I don't know how you could say that. I saw it discussed on Fox, MSNBC, and even my local King 5 news. All three showed snipits from the dinner and MSNBC and Fox discussed it indepth.

Can anyone provide me a link to the video? (One that works?)

talloulou said:
I don't know how you could say that. I saw it discussed on Fox, MSNBC, and even my local King 5 news. All three showed snipits from the dinner and MSNBC and Fox discussed it indepth.
I saw it on Olberman and the Daily Show. I haven't seen anything about it on CBS, NBC or ABC. The morning news shows talked about Bush and his shadow routine but said nothing about Colbert. A quick news search brings up the Washington Post as the only big paper that is talking about it and their story is about how no one else is talking about it...

I finally got around to watching the Colbert thingy. His material was so-so but his presentation, timing, posturing, and set-ups were less than amateurish.

I didn't find him funny in the least. In fact, I was embarassed for him.:3oops:

But, as someone who has spent their fair share of time on stage, I am the first to give him a pass because as much as we would all like to "break-a-leg" when performing we know, (if you do it long enough,) some nights you get the bear and some nights the bear gets you. The Bear obviously got Colbert that night. What a wasted oppertunity for him. Next time call up Bill Maher.

Captain America said:
I finally got around to watching the Colbert thingy. His material was so-so but his presentation, timing, posturing, and set-ups were less than amateurish.

But, as someone who has spent their fair share of time on stage, I am the first to give him a pass because as much as we would all like to "break-a-leg" when performing we know, (if you do it long enough,) some nights you get the bear and some nights the bear gets you. The Bear obviously got Colbert that night. What a wasted oppertunity for him. Next time call up Bill Maher.

Wow. Interesting take on it, Captain. I thought Colbert was absolutely hysterical. I loved the comment about why he couldn't have dinner with the 36% of people who like him. I saved Hardball from Monday night because he showed a good 5 minutes of Colbert.

I think millsy said that this is the kind of setting that Bush does really well in. I agree.

I thought the president was an extremely good sport about it all, and that it was pretty good.

Captain America said:

I have no trouble believing that Colbert's material didn't play well with a Conservative. But, it's Grade A material, and his timing is stellar. I guarantee any of Colbert's regular viewers, were in stitches.

millsy said:
I have no trouble believing that Colbert's material didn't play well with a Conservative. But, it's Grade A material, and his timing is stellar. I guarantee any of Colbert's regular viewers, were in stitches.

Well then, maybe his humor just went over my head since I am not a regular viewer of the comedy channel.

I am a simple man. It's either funny or it ain't, to me. And he ain't.:confused:

Captain America said:
Well then, maybe his humor just went over my head since I am not a regular viewer of the comedy channel.

I am a simple man. It's either funny or it ain't, to me. And he ain't.:confused:

I don't think it's a question of going over your head. I didn't mean to question your intelligence. I think it's more a matter of taste, and I can't really see a majority of conservatives enjoying his comedy.

For instance at one point he mockingly told the press that "they had done the right thing" earlier in Bush's Presidency by "not asking difficult questions" and not giving bad news. And that they should go back to that.

I think that's hilarious, because I believe that the press had their heads up their butts about 3-5 years ago, and failed to ask tough questions (for instance "exactly HOW does Saddam pose an immediate threat?") and look for the truth.

But, I can understand if a conservative hears that joke and doesn't think it's funny, because their outrage at the media is that it currently isn't reporting any of the good news out of Iraq.

I don't think it's intelligence, I just think that his comedy appeals directly to liberals.

millsy said:
But, I can understand if a conservative hears that joke and doesn't think it's funny, because their outrage at the media is that it currently isn't reporting any of the good news out of Iraq.

I don't think it's intelligence, I just think that his comedy appeals directly to liberals.

Don't get me wrong. I found the humor in his material and even appreciated it. I just thought his delivery, timing, and just about everything else that makes a comedian funny, just wasn't there. It takes more than just material.

But then again, I didn't think Lenny Bruce was that funny either.

I'm thinking Colbert just had a bad night and wasn't on top of his game. But if you are saying that he was, and that's as funny as he gets, then I must just not "get it."

Chris Rock is funny. Colbert is not. Just my 2 cents. It's not a conservative/liberal thing with me. Just a "laugh-o-meter" thing.:rofl

I think during the next presidential election Stephen Colbert and Jiminy Click should share duties asking the questions. Now THAT would be hilarious!

Stinger said:
I think during the next presidential election Stephen Colbert and Jiminy Click should share duties asking the questions. Now THAT would be hilarious!

Colbert- Hello Mr._________, what is your opinion on this country's rampant bear problem?

LOL - Colbert's WH Speech is #1 on I-Tunes. Best $1.95 I ever spent.;)
I wonder what the pundits will say now. Let me guess. Nothing...

The after-dinner speech that refuses to go away has scored another distinction: top of the charts.

An audio version of the roast of President Bush by Stephen Colbert of Comedy Central rose to the rank of No. 1 album at Apple's iTunes store on Saturday, three weeks to the night of the White House Correspondents Dinner. Also in the Top 10 were new releases by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam and Paul Simon.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006/05/22/colberts-wh-corresponden_n_21424.html

talloulou said:
Frankly, it was ignored as compared to the bush twin. And if I remember correctly, it was MSNBC calling it something to the effect of idiotic, not really giving it press coverage.

I could be way off here, but I actually have heard from different sources that Colbert is actually a staunch conservative.

It might be hard to find a source to validate that though.

SixStringHero said:
I could be way off here, but I actually have heard from different sources that Colbert is actually a staunch conservative.

It might be hard to find a source to validate that though.
It might also be hard if you watch his show. He is a staunch catholic. And according to wikipedia which has a source for this...he is a democrat...so no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_colbert

Thanks for the links Soctty and Shamol, they were quite interesting.

Back
Top Bottom