• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stem cells reverse blindness caused by burns

Real Korimyr #9

Not Myself, I'm a Replica of Me
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
LOS ANGELES - Dozens of people who were blinded or otherwise suffered severe eye damage when they were splashed with caustic chemicals had their sight restored with transplants of their own stem cells — a stunning success for the burgeoning cell-therapy field, Italian researchers reported Wednesday.

Stem cells restore sight to those blinded by burns - Health care- msnbc.com

Good news for people with eye damage. Also has implications for other regenerative therapies using stem cells, and the article mentions that it's been useful for people with certain kinds of cancer. I really think that most of the major medical breakthroughs in the next couple of decades are going to come from stem cell research.

thank you obama

and thank you scientists you are our most valuable members of society

thank you obama

and thank you scientists you are our most valuable members of society

Someone can't read. You're thanking Obama for.... Oh you hear "stem cell" and think that means embryonic, where as the article talks about "Their own stem cells".

Those pesky Adult Stem Cells that keep curing things and making life better. How many success have Embryonic had? Oh yes, none.

Someone can't read. You're thanking Obama for.... Oh you hear "stem cell" and think that means embryonic, where as the article talks about "Their own stem cells".

Those pesky Adult Stem Cells that keep curing things and making life better. How many success have Embryonic had? Oh yes, none.

adult stem cells have no near the power of embryonic ones. and there have been successes just not in the us thanks to Christan fundamentalist bush

You gotta love stem cells!

The last time I checked, the count of successful stem-cell therapies was:

Embryonic stem cells: 0

Other stem cells: 72

That was a couple of years ago admittedly. I am not expert on the topic and do not know if this is because of fundamental differences between embryonic stem cells, and stem cells taken from adults or from umbilical fluid, or a matter of funding. We'd probably need someone who actually works in the field to tell us the answer to that for certain.

The last time I checked, the count of successful stem-cell therapies was:

Embryonic stem cells: 0

Other stem cells: 72

That was a couple of years ago admittedly. I am not expert on the topic and do not know if this is because of fundamental differences between embryonic stem cells, and stem cells taken from adults or from umbilical fluid, or a matter of funding. We'd probably need someone who actually works in the field to tell us the answer to that for certain.

Well what do you expect when basically one form of stem cell research has no support?

Well what do you expect when basically one form of stem cell research has no support?

No Government funding. Not the same as "no support". If it is so great, why no private funding?

No Government funding. Not the same as "no support". If it is so great, why no private funding?

Oh maybe because there is no government funding like for other kinds of research? And just maybe the private industry says "hey we can get funding from the government for this kind of research". What would you do if you were a scientist involved in stem cell research?

Oh maybe because there is no government funding like for other kinds of research? And just maybe the private industry says "hey we can get funding from the government for this kind of research". What would you do if you were a scientist involved in stem cell research?

Dude, I don't know. That is why I said it would take someone who works in the field to define whether there are drawbacks to embryonic that I don't know about, or whether it mostly/entirely a matter of funding. As far as I know, it could be either or neither.

A little basic research: while there is apparently a strong potential for use of embryonic stem cells in a wider variety of applications, there appear to be problems with tissue rejection by the host-body. This may be more of a factor limiting current ES treatments than simply the lack of gov funding. The article does not say that specifically, but rejection is apparently a problem specific to ES as opposed to adult stem cells taken from the host subject.

Embryonic stem cell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is great news, and in regards to embryonic stem cells...

I have studied genetics and embryonic stem cells in college. We are having more advances in science by de-differentiating cells that are already part of the person needing treatment. Not only will the patients body not reject these cells, but they are very promising and easier to gain access too. We can now turn a skin cell into a stem cell (not quite embryonic though). My grandfather has multiple miloma cancer and was only given 6 months to live. He went to a cancer research center and had a stem cell transplant done that saved his life. They used his own stem cells and altered them somehow and put them back into his body.

Embryonic stem cells are only placed on a pillar because some feel it's a justification or "good" think behind abortions. The reason why scientists wanted federal bans on funding embryonic stem cell research was because the private sector was not going to invest in it, due to the fact that it isn't as promising as people want to believe (plus there are other, better methods scientists are researching).

Last edited:
This is great news, and in regards to embryonic stem cells...

I have studied genetics and embryonic stem cells in college. We are having more advances in science by de-differentiating cells that are already part of the person needing treatment. Not only will the patients body not reject these cells, but they are very promising and easier to gain access too. We can now turn a skin cell into a stem cell (not quite embryonic though). My grandfather has multiple miloma cancer and was only given 6 months to live. He went to a cancer research center and had a stem cell transplant done that saved his life. They used his own stem cells and altered them somehow and put them back into his body.

Embryonic stem cells are only placed on a pillar because some feel it's a justification or "good" think behind abortions. The reason why scientists wanted federal bans on funding embryonic stem cell research was because the private sector was not going to invest in it, due to the fact that it isn't as promising as people want to believe (plus there are other, better methods scientists are researching).

your misinformed religous beliefs are killing people. look up the blatocyst theres your embryo. i had a neighbor who had cancer he was republican to the core he also had cancer and was a supporter of stem cells. a few months a go he died leaving his wife a widow and two kids without a father

your misinformed religous beliefs are killing people. look up the blatocyst theres your embryo. i had a neighbor who had cancer he was republican to the core he also had cancer and was a supporter of stem cells. a few months a go he died leaving his wife a widow and two kids without a father

Do you have any plans to make coherent, readable statements on DP at any point in the future?

Do you have any plans to make coherent, readable statements on DP at any point in the future?[/QUOT

you would understand if you looked up the blatocyst. the blatocyst is glob of microscopic cells it looks nothing like a baby and isnt one. your moral and or religous beliefs believe the embryo is a baby a person its not. and people are dieing like my friend because the religous right wont allow the embryo to be experimented on.

And stem cells would have saved him? Your misinformed (I presume lack of) religious beliefs are killing people. Up to 40 million unborn children have died as a result of abortion. I know what a blastocyst is, and during that stage of development most women aren't even aware that they are pregnant yet.

Do you have any plans to make coherent, readable statements on DP at any point in the future?

you would understand if you looked up the blatocyst. the blatocyst is glob of microscopic cells it looks nothing like a baby and isnt one. your moral and or religous beliefs believe the embryo is a baby a person its not. and people are dieing like my friend because the religous right wont allow the embryo to be experimented on.

You would probably be surprised at how well-informed I am on matters relating to biology. Also most of the arguements I have made against abortion have been based on secular bioethics, legal principles and social effects, rather than directly religious issues.

Nor is there any reason to believe that embryonic stem cell research, which remains somewhat problematic due to rejection issues, would actually save any individual's life in the shorter term. On top of that, if you can find any post where I have said flatly that I oppose all embryonic stem cell research, I will be amazed, because I have made no such statement. I am dubious about it but remain open to arguments as to whether it will really be worthwhile.

You make a remarkable quantity of assumptions about other people's education, position, character and beliefs. Haven't you ever heard about what happens when you assume?

Since you have made such wild assumptions about what I believe and what I know or don't know, may I inquire as to your age and level of education? I have my own thoughts on that but decline to speculate at this time. :mrgreen:

Oh... and since you were so kind as to recommend that I study the matter of the blatocyst, I will return the favor and suggest you read up on the subjects of grammer, punctuation, sentence structure, logic, debate, rhetoric and oratory.

Last edited:
You would probably be surprised at how well-informed I am on matters relating to biology. Also most of the arguements I have made against abortion have been based on secular bioethics, legal principles and social effects, rather than directly religious issues.

Nor is there any reason to believe that embryonic stem cell research, which remains somewhat problematic due to rejection issues, would actually save any individual's life in the shorter term. On top of that, if you can find any post where I have said flatly that I oppose all embryonic stem cell research, I will be amazed, because I have made no such statement. I am dubious about it but remain open to arguments as to whether it will really be worthwhile.

You make a remarkable quantity of assumptions about other people's education, position, character and beliefs. Haven't you ever heard about what happens when you assume?

Since you have made such wild assumptions about what I believe and what I know or don't know, may I inquire as to your age and level of education? I have my own thoughts on that but decline to speculate at this time. :mrgreen:

i didnt mean you goshin i was quoting digsbe because he tried to relate this to abortion when the embryo used is a glob of cells

i didnt mean you goshin i was quoting digsbe because he tried to relate this to abortion when the embryo used is a glob of cells

Actually you quoted me, so if you were responding to digsbe that would tend to engender confusion.

Look bud, I know this is teh Interwebs, but when you post in one long breathless sentence with little or no punctuation or structure, your posts are difficult to read and make sense of. Would it be so terrible to apply a little basic grammar? It only takes a little effort, and your posts would be much more readable, and people would be more inclined to take you seriously and respond accordingly. Really, no foolin'.

When people fabricate stories about "I had a friend, a hard core Republican but he died cause he had cancer and only Embryonic Stem Cells were the only answer" I tend to lower them on the "credible" scale. However, they DO movbe up the "Laugh at you" scale.

Here's the gig, the Embryonic Stem Cell propogandist would have you believe that "if it just got the funding, all sorts of miracles could occur". Never mind that if the promise were so great private companies would be investing because the sheer potential profit. No the money is going into Adult Stem Cell because it is far easier, effective, and successful.

But hey, believe it's all about "Fundimentalist Christians" killing people with thier ignorance, the rest of us will just sit back and not take your seriously.

Actually you quoted me, so if you were responding to digsbe that would tend to engender confusion.

Look bud, I know this is teh Interwebs, but when you post in one long breathless sentence with little or no punctuation or structure, your posts are difficult to read and make sense of. Would it be so terrible to apply a little basic grammar? It only takes a little effort, and your posts would be much more readable, and people would be more inclined to take you seriously and respond accordingly. Really, no foolin'.

dude your profile picture is some action hero its a forum. can we get back to stem cells?

Dozens of people who were blinded or otherwise suffered severe eye damage when they were splashed with caustic chemicals had their sight restored with transplants of their own stem cells — a stunning success for the burgeoning cell-therapy field, Italian researchers reported Wednesday.

Brilliant news. I hope Europe continues on supporting this research.
I've always thought the one thing Blair did correctly in the midsts of his cockups was to support stem cell research.

You gotta love stem cells!

:agree

Back
Top Bottom