• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Stem cell research

mistermain

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I consider myself fairly conservative. One topic that I side with liberals on is stem cell research. I have not heard a convincing argument as to why we should abandon stem cell research. I would not say I am the most educated person on this topic, so I am open to any opinion or facts that you may have.

mistermain said:
I consider myself fairly conservative. One topic that I side with liberals on is stem cell research. I have not heard a convincing argument as to why we should abandon stem cell research. I would not say I am the most educated person on this topic, so I am open to any opinion or facts that you may have.

I'm with you on this one, as far as I know we are talking about frozen embryos that are going to be destroyed anyway. If we can find new ways to cure some major disease I am all for that. I would however be against harvesting them simply for research. But from what I understand there are plenty of embryos already that are only going to be destroyed.

blogger31 said:
I'm with you on this one, as far as I know we are talking about frozen embryos that are going to be destroyed anyway. If we can find new ways to cure some major disease I am all for that. I would however be against harvesting them simply for research. But from what I understand there are plenty of embryos already that are only going to be destroyed.

Right. The arguments I have heard range from fears of cloining humans to prevention of a baby black market where a phetus could be sold for embryonic stem cells. Neither of these arguments hold water for me. We already have all the capablities to clone humans, and as you said there are plenty of embryos available for research.

I would love some feedback from conservatives, or anybody who feels otherwise.

mistermain said:
Right. The arguments I have heard range from fears of cloining humans to prevention of a baby black market where a phetus could be sold for embryonic stem cells. Neither of these arguments hold water for me. We already have all the capablities to clone humans, and as you said there are plenty of embryos available for research.

I can see the dangers of a black market, but I think heavy restrictions need to be put on it, to ensure only the existing ones are used. From what I understand there are more then enough to research the cures we are looking for.

The whole thing is evangelists bought bush his election if he would do that. So he did it.

mistermain said:

What's wrong with cloning? As for stem cell research, it is definetly a good thing. If "conservatives" wish to stay buried in their stupid, dark aged religious beleifs, than you are all goners. I say the more science goes to far, the less we fall behind. If all you decided the outcome of the majority, we'd still be riding around in horse and buggy.

blogger31 said:

I completely agree. Since I am against abortion in all cirumstances, I am also against the idea of using embryos for scientific research in this way. However, because the embryos cannot be saved, I would suppport the idea of researching. But if a child has to be killed in order to do the research, I am entirely against it.

I am sorry but scientists dont say go get me a pregnant woman and kill her baby so I can play frankenstien with her kid.

Youve Got To Be Kidding! said:
I am sorry but scientists dont say go get me a pregnant woman and kill her baby so I can play frankenstien with her kid.

You're right. Any sane person would be totally against killing babies in the name of science. Anybody who uses the argument that this could become a major problem is reaching in my opinion.

Peralin said:
I completely agree. Since I am against abortion in all cirumstances, I am also against the idea of using embryos for scientific research in this way. However, because the embryos cannot be saved, I would suppport the idea of researching. But if a child has to be killed in order to do the research, I am entirely against it.

Well, 200,000 children are alive today thanks to IVF. If the lawas against IVF had been kept, these children wouldn't exist, their lives being denied under the pressure of the religious powers. Before IVF was legalized, opponets were also predicting that this scientific procedure would cause "monsters" and "deformities."

In other words, all you guys against stem cell research are retarding it only, because it will be done anyway, somewhere, thankfully, as I believe nothing can stop science. But, on the other hand, laws can slow it down, and it is the people who will suffer for it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom