• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

stem cell burger served up in London

Infinite Chaos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Hanni Ruetzler --snip-- first smelled it and also carefully prodded it with her fork as if testing for rigidity.After chewing, she said she had expected a softer texture and later commented on its crunchy surface.
"There is really a bite to it, there is quite some flavour with the browning. I know there is no fat in it so I didn't really know how juicy it would be, but there is quite some intense taste; it's close to meat, it's not that juicy, but the consistency is perfect.
"This is meat to me... It's really something to bite on and I think the look is quite similar."
Though it had a buttery outside, there wasn't such an "intense meat flavour" on the inside, she added, though even tasting blind she would still say it was meat, and not a soya copy. Link with video and photographs.

Yeah yeah yeah, blah blah blah, - we would all "prefer the real thing while it is cheap" but realistically, is this the future of meat production on a large scale that would feed vegetarians (no cruelty involved), long distance space astronauts (grow your meat rather than take an animal or freeze it for long journeys) or just the world's poor and hungry?

Aren't they on the forefront of not buying GMO? Then they do this...

Yeah yeah yeah, blah blah blah, - we would all "prefer the real thing while it is cheap" but realistically, is this the future of meat production on a large scale that would feed vegetarians (no cruelty involved), long distance space astronauts (grow your meat rather than take an animal or freeze it for long journeys) or just the world's poor and hungry?

If it tastes good and is cheap? People will eat it. We eat many things, that taste like nothing there was, when your parents were born.

i do a ton of tissue culture work, so i find this fascinating. i culture muscle cells, and have often thought that meat could be made that way.

to do it large scale would be problematic at this point, but if someone wants to give it a shot, more power to them; maybe i should send them my resume. also, the idea of slaughter-free meat appeals to me.

i do a ton of tissue culture work, so i find this fascinating. i culture muscle cells, and have often thought that meat could be made that way.

to do it large scale would be problematic at this point, but if someone wants to give it a shot, more power to them; maybe i should send them my resume. also, the idea of slaughter-free meat appeals to me.

I'm fascinated the meat is fat free, just that alone might appeal to the health conscious if not just the space agencies looking for ways to feed astronauts on long journeys.

Genetically modified organisms can reproduce with the non modified organisms and crops to produce hybrids; I don't see the same problem with meat grown in this way. yeah OK, apparently (if you believe the jokes) male dogs will hump anything but even artificial insemination from a prize bull into a test-tube of stem cell beef isn't going to produce a new life form.

Genetically modified organisms can reproduce with the non modified organisms and crops to produce hybrids; I don't see the same problem with meat grown in this way. yeah OK, apparently (if you believe the jokes) male dogs will hump anything but even artificial insemination from a prize bull into a test-tube of stem cell beef isn't going to produce a new life form.

I was thinking more in terms of the chemistry involved to grow meat in the lab. Aren't we dealing with hormones and artificial nutrients, that may have effects of the food grown?

Good. Sounds better than a mad cow burger.

I had to laugh at the news report thatended with "But would you eat a burger made from the stem cells of a dead cow?" Where do they think burgers come from now, if not dead cows?

I'm skeptical. She says "taste like meat" but then points out differences to meat. Well, then it doesn't taste like meat. It's the same crap vegetarians pull with their soy burgers. Sorry, no, it doesn't taste the same.

Not to say it's inherently going to be bad. I just don't buy that it's going to taste the same. Maybe it will be good in a different way.

Lord of Planar said:
I was thinking more in terms of the chemistry involved to grow meat in the lab. Aren't we dealing with hormones and artificial nutrients, that may have effects of the food grown?

That's a pretty good point. It's seems odd that the uninformed screams of unnatural processes contaminating food which are the root of the GMO scare are not also present in this as well. Maybe when this becomes a better known possibility there will be more controversy like that.

I had to laugh at the news report thatended with "But would you eat a burger made from the stem cells of a dead cow?" Where do they think burgers come from now, if not dead cows?
Their placenta?

It's not the same thing in any way, shape or form. That kind of generalised scare-mongering is hardly beneficial to anyone. It is perfectly legitimate to have concerns about GMO based on the facts yet not have any concerns about this artificial meat, again, based on the facts.

I don't know. I've got to say it sounds unappetizing. Perhaps if I didn't know it was "test tube meat" I might eat it. :shrug:

That's disgusting! :shock:

I seem to recall that water passes through five people on its way through London. I suspect most big cities are the same. The Japanese have gone the extra mile.

I seem to recall that water passes through five people on its way through London. I suspect most big cities are the same. The Japanese have gone the extra mile.

Wouldn't you think a lot of people would get sick though? E. coli and stuff?

Wouldn't you think a lot of people would get sick though? E. coli and stuff?
You should probably read the article before commenting on it. In short, it's almost certainly a hoax of some kind.

That said, you could process pretty much anything to render it relatively safe to eat, at least as far as bacteria and the like go. After all, eating raw red meat would probably be as dangerous on those grounds, which is why we generally cook it.

You should probably read the article before commenting on it. In short, it's almost certainly a hoax of some kind.

That said, you could process pretty much anything to render it relatively safe to eat, at least as far as bacteria and the like go. After all, eating raw red meat would probably be as dangerous on those grounds, which is why we generally cook it.

It's not a hoax. Why would you think that?

Have a taste of the world's first stem cell burger - CNN.com

Wait, hamburgers are dead cows? :shock:

Wait, hamburgers are dead cows? :shock:

Supposedly.... I wouldn't want to stirrup emotions by making judgements on the hoof, but people can be quite blinkered about their burgers.

We were talking about the link in post #11 about the Japanese "feces meat" - that's an entirely different story.

Oh! I thought you were talking about the OP story. Sorry, my mistake! :mrgreen: Okay, I might believe that the "feces meat" is a made up story, and I hope it's a made-up story! :lol:

Supposedly.... I wouldn't want to stirrup emotions by making judgements on the hoof, but people can be quite blinkered about their burgers.

In some parts of the world they'd pay more for the horse burger than a dead cow.

Oh! I thought you were talking about the OP story. Sorry, my mistake! :mrgreen: Okay, I might believe that the "feces meat" is a made up story, and I hope it's a made-up story! :lol:
No problem. The article linked in post #11 does conclude that it's almost certainly a hoax (or otherwise untrue) and is primarily about how so many mainstream news sources took up the story on the basis of an old, somewhat dodgy YouTube video, apparently without any kind of fact checking at all.

Back
Top Bottom