• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stellaris - Makers of CK2/EU4 try their hands at space 4X

Gathomas88

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Paradox’s Space Strategy Game Stellaris Has Won Gamescom

-snip

The finest summary of Stellaris’ aims came mid-way through the half hour presentation and discussion in which Fåhraeus and Johansson unveiled the game. “We’re not creating one specific universe. It can be any sci-fi universe.” Johannson was referring to the way in which the procedural galaxies are more than a collection of planets and stars. By the late game you might find that one of your science ships has become the Event Horizon, ripping a hole in reality to a dimension of horrors. Before you know it, you’re scrabbling to militarise in order to survive a fight against invaders from beyond and you’ve accidentally fallen into Warhammer 40K.

Or maybe you train the world’s greatest scientist-adventurers, create the most advanced ships in the universe, and set up silent listening posts on the moons orbiting planets that are home to pre-spacefaring species. You can learn from them, guide them and eventually become their patrons. You are a Banksian Culture.

sol6.jpg

Perhaps you’ll direct your energies toward the founding of a galactic federation and create an alliance of species working together toward a greater good. You can even identify named characters within that galaxy and find your Kirk and Spock. That same federation might become something else entirely if its utopian vision involves the use of robotic workers, allowing the sentient population to live in luxury, philosophising and creating art rather toiling in factories and fields. Eventually, the push for greater and greater AI makes a Cylonesque uprising a distinct possibility.

The important word is ‘possibility’. In Stellaris, many things are possible but few things are hardcoded into the story of a new galaxy. Your actions and reactions to the mysteries and wonders that you encounter will help to determine the fate of your species and the others that you share the galaxy with, and even as you work toward your own goals, one of the other interstellar empires is likely to be meddling with technologies that threaten the balance of power and the equilibrium of reality.

It’s not only the large, game-changing events that can happen that set a new galaxy apart. They can contain up to a thousand systems but it’s what exists on those planets and between those stars that makes each playthrough unique. Every alien species that you encounter will be unique to your game, concoted from a long list of physical traits and social behaviours. You might discover a civilisation of aggressive, xenophobic moluscoids or an isolationist avian race who breed quickly and travel through the warp, spreading rapidly and unpredictably from planet to planet.

-snip

If Paradox can deliver even half of what they're promising here, this game sounds like it will be absolutely insane. :shock:

Either way, I've got to give them credit for actually trying to be original here. The Master of Orion 2 model everyone's been trying to recreate for the last twenty years is fun and all, but it's high time that we left 1996 back in 1996. The genre can be much more than it is.

Okay this sounds very very interesting. Love EU4 but this..

Just a little over two weeks till release!

I was skeptical at first, but I really do think this will be the game to finally dethrone MoO2 as king of the "Space Empire Builder" genre.

Paradox’s Space Strategy Game Stellaris Has Won Gamescom

If Paradox can deliver even half of what they're promising here, this game sounds like it will be absolutely insane. :shock:

Either way, I've got to give them credit for actually trying to be original here. The Master of Orion 2 model everyone's been trying to recreate for the last twenty years is fun and all, but it's high time that we left 1996 back in 1996. The genre can be much more than it is.

Preordered it and am DLing it now.
Will write a short review in a day or two.

There are a few known, non gaming breaking bugs like no slave revolts and xenophobes hating themselves, after genetically altering their race.

I almost never preorder, but for PI games, there is an exception.

Preordered it and am DLing it now.
Will write a short review in a day or two.

There are a few known, non gaming breaking bugs like no slave revolts and xenophobes hating themselves, after genetically altering their race.

I almost never preorder, but for PI games, there is an exception.

Unfortunately, I have to work today, so I can't play the game yet. I did start the download before I left, however, so maybe I can give it a whirl later tonight.

The game's been getting generally favorable reviews from most sites so far (8s and 9s). The only real exception seems to be IGN. They gave it a 6 out of 10. Seemed a bit harsh though, imo.

Unfortunately, I have to work today, so I can't play the game yet. I did start the download before I left, however, so maybe I can give it a whirl later tonight.

The game's been getting generally favorable reviews from most sites so far (8s and 9s). The only real exception seems to be IGN. They gave it a 6 out of 10. Seemed a bit harsh though, imo.

Yea the IGN review kinda is a stand out of them all, and threw me off a bit. Sux there is no demo to play.. so will have to go alternative ways to see the game before buying it.

Yea the IGN review kinda is a stand out of them all, and threw me off a bit. Sux there is no demo to play.. so will have to go alternative ways to see the game before buying it.

Eh. Just watch the Blorg stream. :shrug:

The game basically looks like an RTS version of "Sword of the Stars" right now, from everything I've seen. We'll just have to wait and see what else they add with DLC.

My only complaint right now (which hasn't been confirmed to be related to upcoming DLC) is that the ethos and government type systems are a bit overly restrictive. I can't really play as an "Empire," for example, without basically having to build my society around slavery labor, because that's where pretty much all of that government type's bonuses lie.

The only other Monarchical option requires you be a pacifist. Ew.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom