• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stefan Rahmstorf's Deceptive Manipulation of Temperature Charts

Jack Hays

Traveler
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Yikes! Here we have a German scientist deceptively manipulating temperature charts to attack a Jewish scientist. I guess each of us honors the past in his/her own way.

PIK Scientist Rahmstorf Goes After Hebrew University’s Nir Shaviv …But Gets Caught Fudging Inconvenient Data

By P Gosselin on 18. January 2019
Stefan Rahmstorf caught redhanded manipulating temperature charts

By Michael Krueger
(Text translated/edited by P. Gosselin)

Three days ago, climate researcher Stefan Rahmstorf published an article at his KlimaLounge blog on the hearing of Jewish climate scientist Nir Shaviv in the German Bundestag concerning the Climate Change Conference in Katowice.
Accuses Shaviv of presenting “outlandish theories”
There he describes Shaviv as a “climate skeptic” with outlandish theories and who is courted by the fossil lobby and AfD Party. During the hearing, the German Left party even accused Shaviv of obviously being paid to publish climate-denialism. Stefan Rahmstorf went even further, claiming, “This is a targeted misleading of the layperson audience”.
Just who is misleading whom, I would like to pursue here.
The conflict between Jewish climate scientist Nir Shaviv and Stefan Rahmstorf dates back to 2003, when Stefan Rahmstorf wrote the following e-mail to his colleagues:
I feel another recent paper may require a similar scientific response, the one by Shaviv & Veizer (attached). …This paper got big media coverage here in Germany and I guess it is set to become a climate skeptics classic: …”
Since then, Shaviv has fallen out of favor with Stefan Rahmstorf.
Dissenters get labelled as right wingers
In the comment area of Mr. Rahmstorf’s article, some commentators — who were immediately labelled by other commenters as right wing spectrum — criticized that NASA’s temperature curve in Figure 5 was truncated in 2016, exactly when the last El-Nino pushed up the global temperature. Mr. Rahmstorf vehemently rejected the criticism.
In the article Mr. Rahmstorf refers to a link on how to create your own widget according to Figure 5, here the link. There the year 2017 is included and the curve is not cut off at 2016. Between 2016 and 2017 the global temperature dropped by 0.1°C, and in 2018 by a further 0.1°C.
Hide the decline
In the year 2016 we were at +1°C temperature anomaly according to NASA (a new record!), but today in the year 2018 only at 0.8°C. Mr. Rahmstorf obviously wanted to hide this by cleverly truncating at 2016, probably with the hope his lay public would not notice it? . . .

Yikes! Here we have a German scientist deceptively manipulating temperature charts to attack a Jewish scientist. I guess each of us honors the past in his/her own way.

PIK Scientist Rahmstorf Goes After Hebrew University’s Nir Shaviv …But Gets Caught Fudging Inconvenient Data

By P Gosselin on 18. January 2019
Stefan Rahmstorf caught redhanded manipulating temperature charts

By Michael Krueger
(Text translated/edited by P. Gosselin)
http://www.science-skeptical.de/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Rahmstorf-Manipulation.jpg
Three days ago, climate researcher Stefan Rahmstorf published an article at his KlimaLounge blog on the hearing of Jewish climate scientist Nir Shaviv in the German Bundestag concerning the Climate Change Conference in Katowice.
Accuses Shaviv of presenting “outlandish theories”
There he describes Shaviv as a “climate skeptic” with outlandish theories and who is courted by the fossil lobby and AfD Party. During the hearing, the German Left party even accused Shaviv of obviously being paid to publish climate-denialism. Stefan Rahmstorf went even further, claiming, “This is a targeted misleading of the layperson audience”.
Just who is misleading whom, I would like to pursue here.
The conflict between Jewish climate scientist Nir Shaviv and Stefan Rahmstorf dates back to 2003, when Stefan Rahmstorf wrote the following e-mail to his colleagues:
I feel another recent paper may require a similar scientific response, the one by Shaviv & Veizer (attached). …This paper got big media coverage here in Germany and I guess it is set to become a climate skeptics classic: …”
Since then, Shaviv has fallen out of favor with Stefan Rahmstorf.
Dissenters get labelled as right wingers
In the comment area of Mr. Rahmstorf’s article, some commentators — who were immediately labelled by other commenters as right wing spectrum — criticized that NASA’s temperature curve in Figure 5 was truncated in 2016, exactly when the last El-Nino pushed up the global temperature. Mr. Rahmstorf vehemently rejected the criticism.
In the article Mr. Rahmstorf refers to a link on how to create your own widget according to Figure 5, here the link. There the year 2017 is included and the curve is not cut off at 2016. Between 2016 and 2017 the global temperature dropped by 0.1°C, and in 2018 by a further 0.1°C.
Hide the decline
In the year 2016 we were at +1°C temperature anomaly according to NASA (a new record!), but today in the year 2018 only at 0.8°C. Mr. Rahmstorf obviously wanted to hide this by cleverly truncating at 2016, probably with the hope his lay public would not notice it? . . .

More copied and pasted BS from one of your conspiracy blogs.

Heil KlimaFuehrer Rahmstorf!

August 14, 2017

The intended audience of this article is really Germans, who suffer from Stefan Rahmstorf, but I (Dr. Duane Thresher) think Americans and the rest of the world will find it fascinating as well.

. . . Even the most famous German liberal news magazine, Der Spiegel, generally among the climate change alarmists, published an article The Rough Methods of Climate Researcher Rahmstorf (in German and read by native-German Dr. Claudia Kubatzki) by Jan-Philipp Hein and Markus Becker.

The first paragraph makes it clear why the authors chose that title: "Journalists complain about attempts at intimidation, researchers distance themselves from the Potsdam professor." And a little further on: "If a journalist addresses climate change and brings forth arguments that Rahmstorf finds bad, there can be trouble. The professor of the Postdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK) then writes letters. But not to the authors, but immediately to the responsible chief editors or department heads." Or, the authors add, he publishes his letter right on his homepage instead. Several examples of people disagreeing with Rahmstorf's Gestapo tactics then follow in the article. . . .

[FONT=&quot]Stefan Rahmstorf is the classic bully, as most dictators are. They are insecure about themselves and strike out preemptively. Rahmstorf has a sketchy climate science background and is insecure about this so if you disagree with him he has to attack you. . . . [/FONT]

"Heil KlimaFuehrer Rahmsdorf"? Really? Comparing a scientist to Hitler now as well as accusing him of anti-semitism?

More vicious personal attacks, smears and dishonest rubbish copied and pasted from Jack's favorite conspiracy blogs.

Anyone else would need to take a shower after reading crap like that. Jack wallows in it.

This is zealous Climate Trutherism at it's worst.

Last edited:
"Heil KlimaFuehrer Rahmsdorf"? Really? Comparing a scientist to Hitler now as well as accusing him of anti-semitism?

More vicious personal attacks, smears and dishonest rubbish copied and pasted from Jack's favorite conspiracy blogs.

Anyone else would need to take a shower after reading crap like that. Jack wallows in it.

The criticism comes from his fellow Germans.

The criticism comes from his fellow Germans.

It's not criticism, it's unwarranted smears and personal attacks from climate truthers. But you'd be very familiar with those after years of copying and pasting tens of thousands of conspiracy blog posts.

It's not criticism, it's unwarranted smears and personal attacks from climate truthers. But you'd be very familiar with those after years of copying and pasting tens of thousands of conspiracy blog posts.

Read the Spiegel link. He's getting what he deserves.

Stop spreading lies Jack.

Yup. It is also badly-informed, Germanophobic nut-jobbery.

For example, the bizarre claims made by the author that a German Diplom is inferior to a US Masters are simply wrong. A German Diplom typically takes 4 to 5 years to complete (by a full-time student), includes experimental work and requires the submission of a substantial thesis. It is directly comparable to the Bachelors/Masters combination in the US.

Yup. It is also badly-informed, Germanophobic nut-jobbery.

For example, the bizarre claims made by the author that a German Diplom is inferior to a US Masters are simply wrong. A German Diplom typically takes 4 to 5 years to complete (by a full-time student), includes experimental work and requires the submission of a substantial thesis. It is directly comparable to the Bachelors/Masters combination in the US.

One of the co-authors is German.

No, there is only one author (Duane Thresher), and he is not German. He constantly refers to himself in the first person throughout his little tirade and it is quite obvious that he wrote it himself.

No, there is only one author (Duane Thresher), and he is not German. He constantly refers to himself in the first person throughout his little tirade and it is quite obvious that he wrote it himself.

The author's spouse is Dr. Claudia Kubatzki.

[FONT=&quot]". . . Full disclosure: [/FONT]Dr. Claudia Kubatzki[FONT=&quot] is coauthor on several papers with Stefan Rahmstorf and was also at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK) with him. . . ."

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]". . . Full disclosure: [/FONT]Dr. Claudia Kubatzki[FONT=&quot] got all her degrees in Germany, had started a PhD in the US, and agrees with this assessment. . . ."[/FONT]

LOL.

But his cousin’s sister in law is German, so that’s pretty close.

So he claims. But she didn't certainly write any of it and is therefore not a co-author. There is actually no comment from her at all.

They are a married couple and co-owners -operators of the site "Real Climatologists." That's good enough for me.

They are a married couple and co-owners -operators of the site "Real Climatologists." That's good enough for me.

Yes, I know you are prepared to believe any old crap you read on the internet, regardless of how distantly related to reality that it may be :roll: In fact, both the German Diplom and the US Masters are classed as ISCED level 7 qualifications and are therefore equivalent. Both take a similar length of time to achieve after leaving school. It is completely untrue to suggest that a German Diplom is in any way inferior to a US Masters.

Yes, I know you are prepared to believe any old crap you read on the internet, regardless of how distantly related to reality that it may be :roll: In fact, both the German Diplom and the US Masters are classed as ISCED level 7 qualifications and are therefore equivalent. Both take a similar length of time to achieve after leaving school. It is completely untrue to suggest that a German Diplom is in any way inferior to a US Masters.

I really could not care less about that detail.

That is one of the main points of his article! You don't care that he lies? We truly do live in a post-truth age :(

It's a minor detail, but I understand you are desperate to find a hand-hold.
And I note your complete avoidance of the thread topic.

Last edited:
It's a minor detail, but I understand you are desperate to find a hand-hold.

The whole article is Germanophobic tripe - I just chose to highlight his idiotic claims about the validity of German academic qualifications as an example. But you feel free to believe his lies. You do, after all, seem to have an infinite capacity for credibility.

Back
Top Bottom