• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Steel Slat Cut Thru

How is it easily defeated? You think 100's of people are going to be storming the wall with 20 ft. ladders and nobody is going to notice?

Coyotes don’t typically move that many people at a time. Coyotes are paid money to do a job. They will bring the appropriate equipment to do the job. If I were a coyote, I would be welcoming the wall because I will be able to charge more.

100's of people together is quite easy to spot.

If there are border patrol agents nearby. If that's the case, an 8' fence would work equally well.

In areas where there are no border patrol agents, a wall of any height is not a deterrent.
In areas where there is no wall or fence, border patrol agents are still a deterrent.
Fencing can assist border patrol agents with apprehension, but that's it. Without CBP officers within responding distance, a wall of any height does not secure the border.

So your issue seems to be that Trump indicated he would be willing to compromise and change from concrete to steel, and you are bitching why?

Let me be one of the millions of high school graduates to remind you: The job of congress in a democratic republic is to compromise to get things done for the people, not counter a money request of 4.5 billion with "We'll give you a dollar".

Your TDS post says a lot more about you than it does Trump.

Correction, that dollar comment was a joke prompted by a reporter question, much like her comment about a "beaded curtain." Get your facts straight: Democrats and GOP offered a deal to which Trump indicated acceptance, til he heard from the equally fact-challenged Limbaugh and Coulter. What is Trump's current compromise proposal?

Elaborate on what form of evidence would constitute "proof," in your mind, and from what source.

Well, one thing you could do is ask NBC for the uncropped pictures of that wall. That, alone, would probably settle the issue. You could also do as I ask...tell me which of the 8 prototypes those slats come from.

Coyotes and illegals are incapable of dragging along sufficient water for the journey ... but they're gonna haul those "babies" ?!? :lamo

Coyotes are very resourceful.

wile_e_coyote_acme_products_11_2_tote_bag-r1a60cef7f73c431ea6336d8cd048aef1_6kcf1_307.jpg

Well, one thing you could do is ask NBC for the uncropped pictures of that wall. That, alone, would probably settle the issue. You could also do as I ask...tell me which of the 8 prototypes those slats come from.

How about a report from the people doing the testing saying that the various prototypes were all breached?

So are burglars; but that doesn't stop us from break-in proofing our homes as much as possible.

As much as possible or as much as practical?

Sorry, but until we discover Vibranium we'll have to live with the fact that you can cut through any material. It's not "if" you can cut through, but how long it takes that matters.

Beginning to see one of the many reasons why touting the wall as a solution is idiotic?

So are burglars; but that doesn't stop us from break-in proofing our homes as much as possible.

And nobody who is very worried about security is spending their entire budget on a fence if they have plenty to also invest in cameras, alarms, etc.

Coyotes don’t typically move that many people at a time. Coyotes are paid money to do a job. They will bring the appropriate equipment to do the job. If I were a coyote, I would be welcoming the wall because I will be able to charge more.
Charging more means fewer are getting across and fewer can afford to get across.

If there are border patrol agents nearby. If that's the case, an 8' fence would work equally well.

In areas where there are no border patrol agents, a wall of any height is not a deterrent.
In areas where there is no wall or fence, border patrol agents are still a deterrent.
Fencing can assist border patrol agents with apprehension, but that's it. Without CBP officers within responding distance, a wall of any height does not secure the border.
It comes down to time. The longer it takes to deal with the deterrent, the greater the chance of being caught.

Beginning to see one of the many reasons why touting the wall as a solution is idiotic?
Is that a strawman, or do you simply not understand that a wall is part of a border security plan and not a solution in and of itself?

It comes down to time. The longer it takes to deal with the deterrent, the greater the chance of being caught.

Very true. But it won't take long for coyotes to figure out how to defeat any physical barrier in a matter of minutes. If the time it takes to defeat it is greater than the CBP response time, (as is the case in heavily patrolled urban areas) then it is a useful barrier. If it is less, (as is the case almost everywhere else,) then it is not.

How about a report from the people doing the testing saying that the various prototypes were all breached?

Sure. They were all breached, but they don't say how they were breached, with what tools or how long it took.

But that doesn't mean the cut off slats in the NBC picture were on any of the prototypes. That is what I don't accept.

You know what...the NBC picture look very much like the wall Jimmy is standing next to in this video: https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1083411819354558467/video/1 That happens to be an Obama era fence.

So your issue seems to be that Trump indicated he would be willing to compromise and change from concrete to steel, and you are bitching why?

Let me be one of the millions of high school graduates to remind you: The job of congress in a democratic republic is to compromise to get things done for the people, not counter a money request of 4.5 billion with "We'll give you a dollar".

Your TDS post says a lot more about you than it does Trump.

Where is the study done on what would be best to secure our borders? I'll wait.

Sorry, but until we discover Vibranium we'll have to live with the fact that you can cut through any material. It's not "if" you can cut through, but how long it takes that matters.

Is that a strawman, or do you simply not understand that a wall is part of a border security plan and not a solution in and of itself?

Is that another dishonest deflection, or do you not understand that the wall is not going to do anything without the deploying of an army of new hires and a tremendous amount of new infrastructure, largely in areas that cannot support the hires on their own, all of which will push the numbers up to hundreds of billions easily with tons more on a yearly basis, and STILL only address a portion of the 25% of illegals who actually cross at the border now but would never think of using ladders, ropes, tunnels, or boats to get around it? (And, yes, ways to break through).

I hope it's just a dishonest deflection, because if you actually think this wall is a great idea - whether or not you dress it up with some stupid snottery about "border security plan" - then you're not going to understand anything about the issue in any direction.

This wall is a stupid dishonest manfactured issue. You know it, I know it, and you know that I know it. If you actually gave half a **** about illegal immigration, your main focus would be attacking Trump for not using the kind of methods that might actually make a dent: e-verify ramped up, penalties and enforcement against employers of illegals ramped up, and some kind of improvement(s) in the way visa holders are treated such that they are less likely to overstay: they make up 75% of illegals.

But no...you want a wall, and you need to deflect from the fact that staffing it such that it did a damn thing would cost way more than any alleged damage presence of illegals do to our economy (which, frankly, isn't much....since you benefit hugely from their presence every time you buy a product).

It's all bull.

It's transparent.

You don't care about the wall. You don't care about illegal immigration. None of you do. What you want is an issue to use to dishonestly attack the left. That's why you line up behind the most idiotic plan of all knowing full well it's the one you're least likely to make headway on.

You want this to be here so that lying Republicans can keep throwing red meat to you and the rest of the base. For you, illegal immigration is too profitable a problem to solve.

Last edited:
Test of steel prototype for border wall showed it could be sawed through
NBC News obtained a photo showing results of a test on a steel wall prototype.

"President Trump likes to pretend a wall will solve all our problems, but it's been clear for some time that it is little more than a very expensive vanity project," said Thompson. "Whether steel or concrete, there is nothing special about his wall and it will not secure our borders.
Democrats are willing to work with the administration to improve our border security, but let's get back to proven and effective solutions."

515woCmmckL.jpg

STOP THE PRESSES!

Steel can be cut through?

Who knew?

What is really interesting is that reporters are now saying that the government tests show that all of the test wall types could be penetrated. And the steel slats could be cut through with a simple saw.

How is it easily defeated? You think 100's of people are going to be storming the wall with 20 ft. ladders and nobody is going to notice?

That will depend on how many people they have manning the wall. But if you're worried about being spotted, build a tunnel. I think shovels are about $20 each, and plenty of cheap labour on the Mexican side of the border from what I understand.

And that was a real question: Do you think they tried a hydraulic jack to pry the bars apart? 'Cause I think it might work really well.

Trump could settle for 50,000 more border agents along with outposts every mile or two along the most vulnerable points of the border being manned 24/7 enabling a quick response. But any who actually make it across the border should be thoroughly documented, photographed, fingerprinted and a DNA swab taken BEFORE immediately being placed in the hands of the Mexican authorities, for them to dispose of as they see fit.
I looked everywhere but was unable to find the Democrats plan to protect our borders from illegal entry.

Back
Top Bottom