• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stay alive drive 55

Cars were meant for driving fast. It's a thing.

Also, everything here is 100+ miles from everything else (except on I-19, where it's 160 KM from everything else).

And last time the limit was 55mph, everyone died trying to get somewhere, and their cobweb encrusted, mummified corpses still litter the shoulders of I-19.

In heavily-traveled freeways in urban areas, a 55 mph limit makes sense.
It’s not like one could actually go 55 unless the traffic gods are smiling.

And one more person who says they aren’t going to make any sacrifice at all to fight this economic war with Russia.
This implies that someone is not willing to make any sacrifices.
A sacrifice to make. It would go a very long way towards negating the sanctions on Russia oil and be a way of signaling Putin we stand united against him. What’s your better idea?
This shows that this is one of many possible sacrifices.

Why are you contradicting yourself?

Driving 55 wouldn't save much and certainly wouldn't affect the price of oil. We would have to cut back on EVERYTHING...because EVERYTHING is affected by the price of oil.
“For every mile per hour faster than 55 mph, fuel economy drops by about 1 percent, said Jason Mark, clean vehicles program director for the Union of Concerned Scientists. The drop-off increases at a greater rate after 65 mph. The faster you go, the faster the fuel goes“

And last time the limit was 55mph, everyone died trying to get somewhere, and their cobweb encrusted, mummified corpses still litter the shoulders of I-19.

There is still a lot of wreckage in the suicide lane, it's just part of the glory of Arizona.

1646769952982.png

“For every mile per hour faster than 55 mph, fuel economy drops by about 1 percent, said Jason Mark, clean vehicles program director for the Union of Concerned Scientists. The drop-off increases at a greater rate after 65 mph. The faster you go, the faster the fuel goes“
A bigger gas waster is driving in rush hour, stop and go traffic.

Here in God's country, we drive 75 MPH, unless we're on I-19, in which case we drive 120 KPH, because interstate 19 is in metric, and we're better than people.

You can save that 55 MPH business for the communists in South Dakota and Oregon.

Why so slow? Welcome to Texas!

hqdefault.jpeg

I knew this idea would get panned in here and my suspicion is confirmed. America is entitled, soft, weak and spoiled and a head to head economic war with the people of Russia or anywhere else in the world will be one we will lose. We will cry uncle at the slightest pain.
Thanks for your participation in my online study.

People just generally don't want to be inconvenienced by driving slower than they damn well want to, and the proven traffic fatalities and higher fuel usage that result from higher speeds just don't matter to them. I'm pretty much among everyone else in that.

I knew this idea would get panned in here and my suspicion is confirmed. America is entitled, soft, weak and spoiled and a head to head economic war with the people of Russia or anywhere else in the world will be one we will lose. We will cry uncle at the slightest pain.
Thanks for your participation in my online study.

Work from home has far more impact than a 55 mph speed limit.... Just because you are stuck in the 70's doesn't mean everyone else it...

Lots of liberal kids in here don’t remember that but it saved lives and gas. 55 was a bit slow and people complained but how about 60mph? A mile a minute seems a reasonable speed. Save lives and gas as we stop importing Russian oil.
If Biden was a leader and he would propose this and convince Americans it was a war effort we should all be willing to participate in. The gas saved would go a long way in making up for lost Russian oil and people on both sides of the isle could at least unite behind this one thing.
Liberal kids?

Speed limit in my state is 80. I love it. I, and many others, cruise at 90. Reno to Winnemucca in under two hours. Hell yeah.

Work from home has far more impact than a 55 mph speed limit.... Just because you are stuck in the 70's doesn't mean everyone else it...
Yup. I've been WFH for going on 4 years now and I maybe get on the highway once every 2-3 weeks and then its usually just 10 or so miles (to a massive shopping complex)

This implies that someone is not willing to make any sacrifices.

This shows that this is one of many possible sacrifices....
If conservatives can't make the, "sacrifice" of wearing a mask to protect their fellow Americans, Why would nationalists lift a pinky finger for Ukrainian foreigners?...

Lots of liberal kids in here don’t remember that but it saved lives and gas. 55 was a bit slow and people complained but how about 60mph? A mile a minute seems a reasonable speed. Save lives and gas as we stop importing Russian oil.
If Biden was a leader and he would propose this and convince Americans it was a war effort we should all be willing to participate in. The gas saved would go a long way in making up for lost Russian oil and people on both sides of the isle could at least unite behind this one thing.
As most ignored the 55 mph limit, there is no actual verifiable proof that the 55mph limit saved any lives.

Implementing a 55 mph speed limit today would be even more of a waste of time than it was in the 1970’s.

Difference? 60 should be the top speed and it should be enforced. Is America to soft and spoiled to sacrifice just a little bit to beat Russia in this economic war?
Why should 60 mph be the highest allowed speed?

Russian oil is a drop in the bucket of your consumption. You import 20% and 7% of that comes from Russia. What's 7% of 20%? 1.4%. For the sake of saving 1.4% of your oil consumption you're willing to inconvenience the whole country.
Gee, what does this remind me of? Gimme a minute, it'll come to me...

Texas has a progressive speed limits

California has regressive speed limits

Why is everyone talking to the OP like this is an honest suggestion instead of just throwing a dart at a dartboard for the next thing to whine at Biden over?

BIDEN BAD BECAUSE *dice roll* CAGE FREE CHICKENS COST MORE

I don't use gasoline any longer so I think I'll stick with and enjoy higher speed limits while you sort out your dependencies on Russian oil. You can always drive in the slow lane or take surface streets. No one is forcing you to drive on highways, and we don't need your big government federal control putting endless rules and regulations in place because you want everyone else to drive more slowly. If you feel strongly about this, go ahead, man up and start driving in the slow lane.

You pro-regulation liberal kids are sometimes insufferable.

As most ignored the 55 mph limit, there is no actual verifiable proof that the 55mph limit saved any lives.

Implementing a 55 mph speed limit today would be even more of a waste of time than it was in the 1970’s.
If people were ignoring a 55 limit, most of them were probably exceeding it by 5-10mph. Which is different than exceeding a 70mph limit by that much.

It's indisputable that traffic deaths went down during the 55mph mandate, and went up when it was repealed.

Traffic fatalities increased after the 55 mph national speed limit was repealed. It was repealed because it was wildly unpopular.
No.

“In 1995 the Republican Congress repealed the 55‐mile‐per‐hour federal speed limit law. At the time, the highway safety lobby and consumer advocacy groups made apocalyptic predictions about 6,400 increased deaths and a million additional injuries if posted speed limits were raised. Ralph Nader even said that “history will never forgive Congress for this assault on the sanctity of human life.”
But almost all measures of highway safety show improvement, not more deaths and injuries since 1995. Despite the fact that 33 states raised their speed limits immediately after the repeal of the mandatory federal speed limit, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported last October that “the traffic death rate dropped to a record low level in 1997.” Moreover, the average fatality rate even fell in the states that raised their speed limits.
Higher speed limits have not caused one million more auto injuries. In fact, in 1997 there were 66,000 fewer road injuries than in 1995, the year before the speed limits were raised. The injury rate per 100 million vehicle miles traveled fell to its lowest level ever recorded in 1997. If the injury rate on the roads had been as high in 1997 as it had been in 1995, approximately 17,000 more Americans would have been injured on the roads.
All of the evidence thus far indicates that Americans have not responded to higher speed limits by converting the highways into stretches of the Indianapolis 500. Any loss of life has been very minimal–and at most a tiny fraction of what had been predicted by the safety lobby. Meanwhile, Americans have saved some 200 million manhours in terms of less time spent on the road. The net economic benefit of raising the speed limit has been between $2 and $3 billion a year.”
https://www.cato.org/policy-analysis/speed-doesnt-kill-repeal-55-mph-speed-limit

Last edited:
Russian oil is a drop in the bucket of your consumption. You import 20% and 7% of that comes from Russia. What's 7% of 20%? 1.4%. For the sake of saving 1.4% of your oil consumption you're willing to inconvenience the whole country.
Gee, what does this remind me of? Gimme a minute, it'll come to me...

Maybe he doesn't have a car, so to him it looks like something to inflict on others.

Back
Top Bottom