• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

States Want to Ban Abortions Beyond Their Borders.

Loulit01

What We've Got Here is a Failure to Communicate
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I know why. What a cruel place to get pregnant.

"Basically, the doctor looked at me and was like, well, the baby's underdeveloped," says Anna. "Even with the best NICU care in the world, they're not going to survive."

And as painful as it was to hear that, the doctors told Anna there was another urgent concern.

" 'You're at a high chance of going septic or bleeding out,' " she says the doctors told her — a risk of infection or hemorrhage, which could become deadly. " 'And unfortunately, we recommend termination, but we cannot provide you one here in Texas because of this law.' "

In Anna's situation, a patient would normally be offered two options: wait and watch for signs of danger, or terminate the pregnancy, which is usually the safest option and most guaranteed to preserve future fertility.

But under Texas law, abortions are allowed at that stage only for severe medical emergencies, defined as when a patient is "in danger of death or a serious risk of substantial impairment of a major bodily function."
In the emergency room on their wedding night, Anna and Scott say the doctors appeared nervous and concerned but could do little to help them.

"I remember being like, what, why can't you just do this?" says Anna. "They couldn't even say the word 'abortion.' I could see the fear in these doctors' eyes that they were just so scared to even talk about it."

"They were typing stuff out on their phones and showing it to us," adds Scott, saying that the doctors were afraid to even be overheard helping them plan an abortion.

The next day, Anna's OB-GYN needed a plan to get Anna to a place where she could get the procedure as quickly as possible. They ruled out some nearby states, including Oklahoma and Arkansas, with mandatory waiting periods as long as three days.

"So there's two options," says Scott. "There's New Mexico and there's Colorado. Would we rather have her go into labor on a plane or, like, out by Midland in a car?"

Another story.

This has to be unconstitutional.
At first blush, it (whatever "it" is) would be unconstitutional.

Howerver, the article cited is behind a paywall (the New York Times doesn't want anyone reading their crap who might dare challenge it) so it's anybody's guess what it's actually talking about.

I know Florida is following TX, as with Arkansas. Other states as well are trying it.
Looks like women are going to have to really look into to this when considering where to live.

What I'm wondering is what the population will look like after twenty years. How many women will move out of these draconian states. Men will have to cross state lines to find a wife, but I think that should be banned as well. Fair is fair. Let men reap what they sow.

Missouri has a right to legislate within their borders. They have no jurisdiction to legislate for the nation.

What this bill would do is allow someone in Missouri to sue me, living in New York, if I assist a woman to get an abortion.

I think this violates the 14th Amendment.
No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

I know Florida is following TX, as with Arkansas. Other states as well are trying it.
Looks like women are going to have to really look into to this when considering where to live.

What I'm wondering is what the population will look like after twenty years. How many women will move out of these draconian states. Men will have to cross state lines to find a wife, but I think that should be banned as well. Fair is fair. Let men reap what they sow.
What's clear is anti-abortion groups are pushing the legal boundaries to see what can actually stick now that the SCOTUS has given a pass to the Texas law. To your point, I don't think this is going to fly.

I know it's behind a paywall. You don't think I should cite it? Tough. The NYT is the paper of record and one of the most influential news sources in the world. I'm going to cite it all day long. Frankly, I think if you don't read it you're too ill-informed to post here. So go ahead and complain.

Please don't link to paywalled sites. We can't comment on an article we can't read.

Oh no! We can't see the brilliant comment the guy who thought he'd cleverly take down AOC and not at all broadcast the weird sexual hatred so many of the right have for her by calling himself "aociswundumho" on a political debate forum. This is horrible. A person who picks such a name for himself obviously has a vast wealth of political insight at his disposal.

If you had google and a computer, you could instantly figure out what the OP could possibly be talking about. But such things do not exist, and the OP did not cite a right wing rag like Butthole Dot Com. You could have made a standard moronic anti-left comment. But OP has robbed us of this boon. Alas.

ALAS!

:rolleyes:

I know it's behind a paywall. You don't think I should cite it? Tough. The NYT is the paper of record and one of the most influential news sources in the world. I'm going to cite it all day long. Frankly, I think if you don't read it you're too ill-informed to post here. So go ahead and complain.

It does say something that the same people complain about paywalls whenever any sort of news organization that actually does its own investigative reporting and thus relies on subscription models is posted.

Do they really only rely on ad revenue sites?

Think of all the child support (mostly) men will get stuck with?

What's clear is anti-abortion groups are pushing the legal boundaries to see what can actually stick now that the SCOTUS has given a pass to the Texas law. To your point, I don't think this is going to fly.

Should start doing the same thing for guns.

Cant read it, more info needed.

But they'd need at minimum, probable cause to get any medical records from providers in other states. I cant see how they'd get that or compel the providers or anyone else to provide any info.

Besides that tho, any woman that needs an abortion, knowing in advance about his law, would just keep the pregnancy a secret. No one needs to see a Dr anymore to confirm a pregnancy. And even if she did, many miscarriages also cannot be proven.

LOL it would be something to see a state trying to stop pregnant women from leaving the state. And then demanding medical exams for their conditions on return.

So far as I know, states don't have the power to control interstate trade, except by agreements with other states.

This seems like an attempt to get around that.

I'm not at all sure where the law stands on this, but I'm damned sure it will show up in court at some point soon.

These men who propose these laws against our women are on the same level of humanity as Putan and that Chinese
Slave driver dude.

Just Pure D White Trash and coerced "Yes Master" Blacks

Well, if the US government can charge, try, convict, and imprison people for doing things that are perfectly legal where they do them (but not in the US) why shouldn't the several states be able to charge, try, convict, and imprison people for doing things that are perfectly legal in the state that they are in (but not in the state that charges them)?

The next "logical" step is for the state of _[fill in the blank]_ to start prosecuting ANYONE who has (or performs) an abortion that does not conform to state law REGARDLESS of whether or not the person charged has even been in the state of _[fill in the blank]_.

At first blush, it (whatever "it" is) would be unconstitutional.

Howerver, the article cited is behind a paywall (the New York Times doesn't want anyone reading their crap who might dare challenge it) so it's anybody's guess what it's actually talking about.
What "paywall"?

I don't give the NYT a dime and I could access the article simply by clicking on the link.

These men who propose these laws against our women are on the same level of humanity as Putan and that Chinese
Slave driver dude.

"Our" women? The Left believes women are property, now? What about the 50% of abortions that kill future women?

The Slimes is also one of the most dishonest publications in the world. It even covered up Stalin's genocide in Ukraine. So much for the NYS's "record". No one who demands truth in news reads their crap.

Slave driver dude.

Lots of women support this too.

Back
Top Bottom