• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

States vying to limit picketing at soldier's funerals

debate_junkie

Worst Nightmare
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
COLUMBUS, Ohio - States are rushing to limit when and where people may protest at funerals — all because of a small Kansas church whose members picket soldiers' burials, arguing that Americans are dying for a country that harbors homosexuals.

During the 1990s, the Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan., went around picketing the funerals of AIDS victims with protest signs that read, "God Hates F**s." But politicians began paying more attention recently when church members started showing up at the burials of soldiers and Marines killed in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Legislation is being considered in at least 14 states, and several of the bills moving quickly, with backing from legislative leaders and governors.

<snip>

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060206/ap_on_re_us/funeral_protests

So what are your thoughts? Should legislation be able to limit where protests can happen, or would it violate free speech?

Fred Phelps is, and has always been, a moron. He is an embarrassment to this entire region. Ignore him.

I remember being invited to sing at Kansas Governor Bill Graves' inauguration a few years ago. Phelps and his clan were on the street corner trying to disrupt the event. Up rolled four semi-trucks and blocked the only view he had of the ceremony. It was hilarious. He is such an idiot. His speech shuld not be violated and neither should the speech of the millions of people who speak out against him. He's way outnumbered.

debate_junkie said:
COLUMBUS, Ohio - States are rushing to limit when and where people may protest at funerals — all because of a small Kansas church whose members picket soldiers' burials, arguing that Americans are dying for a country that harbors homosexuals.

During the 1990s, the Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan., went around picketing the funerals of AIDS victims with protest signs that read, "God Hates F**s." But politicians began paying more attention recently when church members started showing up at the burials of soldiers and Marines killed in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Legislation is being considered in at least 14 states, and several of the bills moving quickly, with backing from legislative leaders and governors.

<snip>

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060206/ap_on_re_us/funeral_protests

So what are your thoughts? Should legislation be able to limit where protests can happen, or would it violate free speech?

Its gets much worse...
The groups "God hates fags" or something like that has even protested at
Arlington National Cemetery.

http://www.godhatesfags.com/photos/thisyear.html

While they do have a right to protest
I also have the right to %$#^%#%$ then go to jail.

debate_junkie said:

They already limit where,when and what kind of firearms I can carry.So what makes another constitutional right such as free speech any different?

jamesrage said:
They already limit where,when and what kind of firearms I can carry.So what makes another constitutional right such as free speech any different?
The fact that they're both wrong.

I didn't care for the "free speech zones™" around the DNC and GOP conventions and don't like the idea of making more laws that limit speech. Something tells me that if he keeps protesting these funerals, we won't have to worry about Phelps being around much longer anyways.

"God made IEDs"

News is being reported how some 'Americans', and I use that term loosely, are picketing military members' funerals, some carrying signs like 'God made/makes IEDs'.

Congratulations Seantors Durbin and Kerry - you have a following!

Some states are starting to take action to see what they can do about these protestors at funerals. Personally, If I was a cop there at the funeral, I would be tempted to allow the family members to kick the mess out of the pathetic pieces of garbage!

http://www.localnewsleader.com/kindred/stories/index.php?action=fullnews&id=137781

Re: "God made IEDs"

easyt65 said:
News is being reported how some 'Americans', and I use that term loosely, are picketing military members' funerals, some carrying signs like 'God made/makes IEDs'.

Some states are starting to take action to see what they can do about these protestors at funerals. Personally, If I was a cop there at the funeral, I would be tempted to allow the family members to kick the mess out of the pathetic pieces of garbage!

http://www.localnewsleader.com/kindred/stories/index.php?action=fullnews&id=137781

These protests are the result of the actions of the Westboro Baptist Church. They are not connected to or supported by Durbin or Kerry.

What do senators Durbin and Kerry have to do with this?!

The protestors are a members of a Kansas church, who argue that Americans are dying for a country that harbors homosexuals.

Pacridge said:
These protests are the result of the actions of the Westboro Baptist Church. They are not connected to or supported by Durbin or Kerry.

Are you kidding me?

Young men were drafted to go to Viet Nam, they had no choice. They were supposed to be going to Senior Proms and they were instead sent off to war to kill or be killed, to witness and be submerged into things they were not ready for. They came back home after serving their country to people spitting on them and calling them baby killers, to pathetic pieces of cr@p like Kerry who had turned on them by committing perjury in order to launch his anti-war political career, telling congress lies about witnessing attrocities by these brave men that he later admitted he had made up.

Then you have guys today, like Durbin, who read off what he thought was a classified document, that he thought was based on fact, before congress (where was the outrage about THAT leak od classified?), during which he called our soldiers the equivalent of Nazis, genocidal regemists, and Russian Ghoulag Soldiers. When faced with the fact that what he read off was inaccurate, he refused to apologize to the troops. Still, Americans heard every word he said...so did our troops.

Then you have Kerry calling our troops terrorists on TV. Again, Americans heard it, the terrorists heard it, as did our troops. You think no one was affected by Kerry and Durbin's words? Guys like Durbin and Kerry probably won't be satisfied until they get the American people waiting at the airports to spit on the returning soldiers coming home from Iraq!

easyt65 said:
Are you kidding me?

Young men were drafted to go to Viet Nam, they had no choice. They were supposed to be going to Senior Proms and they were instead sent off to war to kill or be killed, to witness and be submerged into things they were not ready for. They came back home after serving their country to people spitting on them and calling them baby killers, to pathetic pieces of cr@p like Kerry who had turned on them by committing perjury in order to launch his anti-war political career, telling congress lies about witnessing attrocities by these brave men that he later admitted he had made up.

Then you have guys today, like Durbin, who read off what he thought was a classified document, that he thought was based on fact, before congress (where was the outrage about THAT leak od classified?), during which he called our soldiers the equivalent of Nazis, genocidal regemists, and Russian Ghoulag Soldiers. When faced with the fact that what he read off was inaccurate, he refused to apologize to the troops. Still, Americans heard every word he said...so did our troops.

Then you have Kerry calling our troops terrorists on TV. Again, Americans heard it, the terrorists heard it, as did our troops. You think no one was affected by Kerry and Durbin's words? Guys like Durbin and Kerry probably won't be satisfied until they get the American people waiting at the airports to spit on the returning soldiers coming home from Iraq!

And the connection to the Westboro Baptist Church doing these protest is where?

The WBC does not support the Dems at all, they're the ones doing these protests. Your logic makes no sense.

easyt65 said:
Are you kidding me?

Yeah, kansas church that preaches a literal interpretation of the bible... they MUST be democrats.

You know, they were probably more likely to have voted for Bush than Kerry. But, do us a favor, so we don't have to speculate, ask them.

Oh yeah, and here is the Churchs Homepage
http://www.godhatesfags.com/main/index.html

Personally, I think the military ought to provide sniper cover for the funerals of our fallen soldiers.

I support free speech, and I think these Westboro subhumans should be allowed to express their vile opinions without fear of sanction-- but I also do not believe that they should be allowed to use grieving families as a captive audience and a political platform.

I don't often accuse anti-war protestors of possessing anything resembling human decency, but at least they have enough good sense not to desecrate funerals.

I don't know we even lend a voice to these idiots, their message should remain on that cemetary site, and no further. I would also be glad to help them off to our maker, and I hope the locals take note there, and protect these radicals from themselves.:roll:

/mod mode/
Merging......
/mod mode/

easyt65 said:

I think that the families ought to have the right to kick some respect into these "people" But the sad truth is that if this were to happen the family would go to jail and the "people" would sue and win.

Pacridge said:
And the connection to the Westboro Baptist Church doing these protest is where?

The WBC does not support the Dems at all, they're the ones doing these protests. Your logic makes no sense.
It seems that the issue of gays is the ONLY thing that separates Fred Phelps from the Democratic Party...everything else?...Well...you be the judge...

In the 1980s, the Phelps family were strong political allies with then-senator Al Gore. The home of Fred Jr., Phelps' eldest son, located in the Westboro compound, acted as Gore's campaign quarters for one of his senate races, and the Westboro compound was host to a fundraiser. Numerous photos exist on the internet of Fred Phelps Jr. and his second wife, Betty Phelps-Schurle, posing with Al and Tipper Gore in Phelps Jr.'s home. Phelps also served as a Gore delegate on the floor of the Democratic National Convention in Atlanta in 1988. [66]

During Bill Clinton's presidential campaign, Fred Phelps Jr. and members of Westboro campaigned for Gore, though simultaneously attacking Hillary Clinton. In January 1993, Fred Phelps Jr. and Betty Phelps-Schurle were invited to the inaugural ball in Washington, D.C.[67]

In the ensuing years leading up to Clinton's second presidential campaign, Gore and Clinton took stances increasingly in favor of gay rights. Consequently, Westboro turned against Gore, who nevertheless invited Fred Phelps, Marge, Fred Jr., and Betty back for the 1997 inauguration; they responded by bringing the entire Westboro congregation to the White House and picketing on the front lawn during the ball, [68] with signs proclaiming that Gore, Clinton, and both men's families were going to Hell, not necessarily for their stances on homosexuality, but because they had "betrayed" Westboro. [69]

In 1998, Westboro picketed the funeral of Gore's father, screaming vulgarities at Gore and telling him "your dad's in Hell." [70]

Phelps has run in numerous Democratic primary elections for governor of the predominantly Republican state of Kansas, in 1990, 1994, and the last time in 1998, when he came in second with 15,000 votes out of a total of over 103,000 votes cast, or 15%

This is a case of a Democrat feeling slighted by other Democrats...

The argument of "He's anti-gay...He MUST be a Evengelical Conservative" is bogus...

I'm waiting for the video..."Democrats Gone Wild"...:2wave:

cnredd said:
It seems that the issue of gays is the ONLY thing that separates Fred Phelps from the Democratic Party...everything else?...Well...you be the judge...

The argument of "He's anti-gay...He MUST be a Evengelical Conservative" is bogus...

redd, my man, you never let me down. I'm always enlightened, even if it is about those of grotesque standards as Mr Phelps. But here's the thing, I had originally started this thread, because I wanted to know if people thought restricting where protests can occur is constitutional or not? Protest areas outside the RNC and DNC has been brought up, but all everyone is talking about is Mr Phelps.

cnredd said:

The man is insane. And he is what we call a "yellow dog" Democrat. Old-school suthr'n "gentleman." Like Zell Miller. Another classic example of yellow dog obtuseness....so oblivious that it takes them 40 years to figure out they're in the wrong party. So stubborn that even then they refuse to switch. I talked to a lot of these folks working the Kerry campaign in Louisiana. The spiel generally went "My daddy voted democrat and by god I'm gonna vote Democrat, too.......Kill the fags."

I added that last part. But the sentiment is there. :2wave:

debate_junkie said:
redd, my man, you never let me down. I'm always enlightened, even if it is about those of grotesque standards as Mr Phelps. But here's the thing, I had originally started this thread, because I wanted to know if people thought restricting where protests can occur is constitutional or not? Protest areas outside the RNC and DNC has been brought up, but all everyone is talking about is Mr Phelps.
Of course I don't let you down...

You're a woman...:2wave: (I know I got some points for that!)...

As to the restrictions, they should only be allowed within reason...

Dissent with the intent to voice or express an opinion is cool...

Dissent with the intent to be physically disruptive is not...

Different communities will draw different lines...

As long as they are for ALL, I don't have a problem with it...

cnredd said:
Of course I don't let you down...

You're a woman...:2wave: (I know I got some points for that!)...

As to the restrictions, they should only be allowed within reason...

Dissent with the intent to voice or express an opinion is cool...

Dissent with the intent to be physically disruptive is not...

Different communities will draw different lines...

As long as they are for ALL, I don't have a problem with it...

grins... I hope you don't tear a muscle in your arm patting yourself on the back... JUST kidding ;)

Same standards for all... sound's like a reasonable enough answer.

I would like to apologize because I heard on the news that protestors were carrying signs that read 'God made IEDs' and were protesting soldiers' funerals. Without getting the full details, I launched into a tirade blaming, or at least giving partial fault to, Senators Durbin (calling our troops Nazis) and Kerry (calling our troops terrorists). Since then, I have found out that the protestors belong to some church and were protesting their belief that our troops were going over to fight for a country who supports/embraces homosexuality.

1st of all, I would like to apologize to the Whacko religeous nuts for lumping them in with the traitorous, un-American Democratic Senators who have sold out our troops in order to make a politically motivated assault on the President, all during a time of war.

Next, I would like to apologize to Senators Durbin and Kerry for accusing them of having anything to do with the whackos from this church who believe that American soldiers, upon hearing we were really sending troops over to fight for homosexuality, jumped at the chance to join the military and go fight! You guys may be 'Party-1st, American-2nd', Bush-hating, treasonous, troop-bashers, but you aren't bias against homosexuals...at least not the registered voting members of the Gay community.

Next time I will listen to the entire story before making such a grievous error again.

libertarian_knight said:
Yeah, kansas church that preaches a literal interpretation of the bible... they MUST be democrats.

You know, they were probably more likely to have voted for Bush than Kerry. But, do us a favor, so we don't have to speculate, ask them.

Oh yeah, and here is the Churchs Homepage
http://www.godhatesfags.com/main/index.html

If he was preaching literal interpretation of the bible he would mention the things God really hates.

Proverbs 6
16These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
17A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
18An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
19A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

It is true that as long as someone is a sinner they will not go to heaven.
1 Corinthians 6
9Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

There is forgiveness for those sins as long as one accepts Christ and repeants their sins.

11And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

2 Corinthians 5
17Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Back
Top Bottom