• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

States' rights: Where and when to tap energy resources.

Where and when to tap energy resources is a states' rights issue?

• Yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

AndrewC

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I firmly believe that where and when to tap energy resources is a states' rights issue. The federal government has no business deciding this issue. The economical and environmental impact primarily affect states, not the federal government. Therefore states should decide when and where to explore for energy.

I personally don't agree with oil and natural gas exploration in the ocean or in ANWR. I have no illusions that drilling will help gas prices and I fear that our environment will suffer because of this drilling. Still, for the national debate on overall energy policy and the economics that go along with it. This issue must be removed from our national politics. This is a distraction from the real issues that are killing our economy and our environment. As long as there is a federal ban on exploration. Shills will screech at the top of their lungs about the damage being done. For this reason, Congress should remove federal bans on drilling and return this issue to the states affected by the bans. In doing so, our federal government will be able to move past the question of drilling and begin debate on the larger issues we face.

Do you agree or disagree?

I firmly believe that where and when to tap energy resources is a states' rights issue. The federal government has no business deciding this issue. The economical and environmental impact primarily affect states, not the federal government. Therefore states should decide when and where to explore for energy.

I personally don't agree with oil and natural gas exploration in the ocean or in ANWR. I have no illusions that drilling will help gas prices and I fear that our environment will suffer because of this drilling. Still, for the national debate on overall energy policy and the economics that go along with it. This issue must be removed from our national politics. This is a distraction from the real issues that are killing our economy and our environment. As long as there is a federal ban on exploration. Shills will screech at the top of their lungs about the damage being done. For this reason, Congress should remove federal bans on drilling and return this issue to the states affected by the bans. In doing so, our federal government will be able to move past the question of drilling and begin debate on the larger issues we face.

I agree for the most part. The one exception I might make is for land/water near state or international borders, where the actions of one state could adversely affect the environment of another. Those probably need at least a little bit of federal oversight.

The issue with ANWR is that it IS federally owned. It is a national refuge and is managed by the federal government, not the state of Alaska.

But on every other point, I agree with you.

The issue with ANWR is that it IS federally owned. It is a national refuge and is managed by the federal government, not the state of Alaska.

But on every other point, I agree with you.

True, but there's really no reason for ANWR to be federally owned in the first place; it's not exactly a beautiful area that attracts tourists by the millions. I say it should be given (or maybe sold) to the State of Alaska, which can then do whatever it wants with the land.

Question, don't federal bans on drilling only apply to areas the federal government has jurisdiction over?

Therefore, states are already free to do as they wish in regards to their energy resources?

Question, don't federal bans on drilling only apply to areas the federal government has jurisdiction over?

Therefore, states are already free to do as they wish in regards to their energy resources?

About 94% of oil worldwide is owned by governments, and OUR governement would love to see that become 100%. If they could find a way to nationalize the 6% that is privately or investor owned, they would do it. THEN, gasoline would never drop below $4 again....

Back
Top Bottom