• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

States are being approved for Trump's unemployment benefits, but most jobless Americans....

Metric Mouse

Your hi-top sneakers and your sailor tattoos.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Unemployment benefits: States are being approved for Trump's relief, but most jobless Americans aren't seeing the money yet - CNNPolitics

States are quickly receiving approval to provide jobless residents with President Donald Trump's $300 weekly emergency unemployment benefit, but it may still take some time before people see the boost in their checks.

Some 30 states had been accepted into Trump's Lost Wages Assistance grant program as of Monday evening, according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which is administering it. FEMA has already awarded more than $14 billion in grants to states, the agency said.

Can the POTUS even do this? isn't it Congress who appropriates funds? Was this part of his executive order flurry a week or two ago; why hasn't Congress sued to stop this? Are there no rules anymore, or am I missing something?

We are very much in uncharted territory here, I am unsure Congress has even passed a basis for this to occur in funds for Trump to hijack via EO.

States being approved to get in on this seems like cart before the horse.

Unemployment benefits: States are being approved for Trump's relief, but most jobless Americans aren't seeing the money yet - CNNPolitics

Can the POTUS even do this? isn't it Congress who appropriates funds? Was this part of his executive order flurry a week or two ago; why hasn't Congress sued to stop this? Are there no rules anymore, or am I missing something?

The government largely supports giving more money to people who don't work, so Trump can do that. Rules only apply when the President wants to do something the government opposes (in which case new rules can be discovered on the spot, if necessary).

Yes. The President CAN do this.

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, 42 U.S.C. 5121-5207 (the “Stafford Act”), and in light of Proclamation 9994 of March 13, 2020 (Declaring a National Emergency Concerning the Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Outbreak), which declared a national emergency by reason of the threat posed by the outbreak of the novel (new) coronavirus known as SARS-CoV-2, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Access Denied

We are very much in uncharted territory here, I am unsure Congress has even passed a basis for this to occur in funds for Trump to hijack via EO.

States being approved to get in on this seems like cart before the horse.

That was my thought. If the checks and balances fail, I'm not sure it will be a good thing.

Wait until President AOC starts mailing out checks via executive order.

Last edited:

More than Nancy is doing. Even when her own party asked her to put forth a clean unemployment bill, she refused, causing the needless suffering of those who are unemployed.

Why would any fiscal conservative need CentGov welfare?

If democrats don't like it, they can take trump to court to stop people from receiving financial help

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom