• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

State senator says 6 killed in CA explosion, fire

Catz Part Deux

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
State senator says 6 killed in CA explosion, fire - Yahoo! News

Friday morning after a massive explosion apparently triggered by a broken gas line sent flames roaring through a neighborhood near San Francisco, killing six people and injuring dozens, officials said.

Fire crews are still working to douse the blaze and authorities have said there could be other casualties. The number of deaths was rising: San Francisco state Sen. Leland Yee told The Associated Press he was briefed at the scene Friday morning by the California Emergency Management Agency and at least six people have died.

California Lieutenant Governor Abel Maldonado said at a news conference he knew of at least four people killed and more than 50 injured. He said a natural gas line ruptured at 6:24 p.m. Thursday near the blast but they're not yet sure why. The explosion was heard for miles and shot a fireball more than 1,000 feet in the air and sent frightened residents fleeing for safety and rushing to get belongings out of burning homes. The blast left a giant crater and sent flames tearing across several suburban blocks in San Bruno.

After the initial blast, flames reached as high as 100 feet as the fire fueled itself on burning homes, leaving some in total ruins and reducing parked automobiles to burned out hulks. At least 38 homes were destroyed and dozens more seriously damaged, fire officials said early Friday.

This makes me glad I don't have natural gas.

What a terrible thing. My thoughts go out to all those injured or who lost loved ones.

The official count is now confirmed at 4.

And you don't have to have Natural gas to live over or close to a major pipeline of one kind or other, you might be surprised how many and wide spread they are.

This is a sad thing but all deaths are sad to someone, but burning to death has to be the worst.

I hear there are some north of us, a big one I think.
The thing about natural gas is that about the only good way to move it is via pipeline. Therefore, if you happen to be between a play and a processing station, there's a good chance there's a pipeline nearby. I'm not sure about Florida, but if you pull up a map of natural gas pipelines here in Texas, you'd see them almost covering the entire state (actually they are covered by the state of Texas, but you get my meaning).

I think the real take-away here for most of us is that, while tragic, these sorts of accidents are exceedingly rare.

By the way, this is the reason why you call before you dig.

Back
Top Bottom