• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

State rep-elect: “Tennessee is racist,” Republican voters “uneducated”

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
https://wreg.com/2018/11/12/state-rep-elect-tennessee-is-racist-republican-voters-uneducated/

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- A newly-elected state lawmaker from Memphis is facing criticism for controversial comments made in a now-deleted Facebook video.

Democrat London Lamar, who ran uncontested in House District 91, posted the video following last week's election.

"Tennessee's racist. Period. Period. Like, Tennessee is racist," Lamar said in the video.

She also said: "Most of the Tennesseeans who voted Republican are uneducated."

Well, that kind of thing worked enough to get her elected so let's see how it plays out from here. Personally, I find it a little hard to believe that an entire state is racist, period but I haven't been to Tennessee so maybe she's right. Then again, that being the case, it's a little strange that she got elected by all those racists.

I really doubt that all Tennesseans are racist. Its just a poor name-calling argument.

Rural Tennessee. If she'd said Rural Tennesee is racist she'd be dead right. The cities are probably not so much - and that's where she got her votes.

https://wreg.com/2018/11/12/state-rep-elect-tennessee-is-racist-republican-voters-uneducated/

Well, that kind of thing worked enough to get her elected so let's see how it plays out from here. Personally, I find it a little hard to believe that an entire state is racist, period but I haven't been to Tennessee so maybe she's right. Then again, that being the case, it's a little strange that she got elected by all those racists.

She is only admitting that she got elected by BLACK racists. Besides that, if she wants to see uneducated, she can look at the people in her own district.

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/62000US47091-state-house-district-91-tn/#income

Show data/Embed
Economics
Income
† Margin of error is at least 10 percent of the total value. Take care with this statistic.

$18,968
Per capita income
about three-quarters of the amount in Tennessee: $26,019
about two-thirds of the amount in United States: $29,829
$30,848
Median household income
about two-thirds of the amount in Tennessee: $46,574
about three-fifths of the amount in United States: $55,322
Under $50K: 69%
about 1.3 times the rate in Tennessee: 53%
about 1.5 times the rate in United States: 45%
Household income
69%Under $50K21%$50K - $100K7%†$100K - $200K2%†Over $200K
Show data/Embed
Poverty
† Margin of error is at least 10 percent of the total value. Take care with this statistic.

33.9%
Persons below poverty line
about double the rate in Tennessee: 17.2%
more than double the rate in United States: 15.1%
Children (Under 18)
Poverty54%
Poverty
Non-poverty
Show data/Embed
Seniors (65 and over)

Last edited:
Rural Tennessee. If she'd said Rural Tennesee is racist she'd be dead right. The cities are probably not so much - and that's where she got her votes.

Well that's any state. Rural areas tend to be conservative, whereas cities tend to be liberal. I live in a rural part of California and its pretty conservative.

I wonder if she could face recall? Might be an option.

I’m not from Tennessee, but have been there numerous times, running tail of the dragon, and all of the people I met were salt of the earth types, no signs of racists. Not right to brand everyone from any state with such a scurrilous accusation.

I’m not from Tennessee, but have been there numerous times, running tail of the dragon, and all of the people I met were salt of the earth types, no signs of racists. Not right to brand everyone from any state with such a scurrilous accusation.

Why? She was duly elected. I say give her as much floor time as possible.

She is only admitting that she got elected by BLACK racists. Besides that, if she wants to see uneducated, she can look at the people in her own district.

Blacks can't be RACIST. Several members here will say this like it is an undisputed fact.

I can see this is how a future American Ida Amin could be elected.
My sister-in-law recently gave us a visit.
In one of our table conversations she said,..." Sometimes, don't you just hate white people"?
...and she is a white woman from the Midwest.
They also are just fine with calling Jews termites.

Yup, the fields are fertile for electing an American Ida Amin.

Black racists hahahahahahah LOL you're killing me

Well that's any state. Rural areas tend to be conservative, whereas cities tend to be liberal. I live in a rural part of California and its pretty conservative.
Rural America is the real disease - they're almost total no-go zones for anyone who's not a WASP evangelical CIS hetero.

Sounds like she has taken a leaf out of trump's 'how to win elections' playbook.

Why? She was duly elected. I say give her as much floor time as possible.

No doubt she will take the high road and apologise for her insensitive comments. Unlike trump and other racist republicans who are PROUD of their racist, homophobic and sexist remarks.

Rural America is the real disease - they're almost total no-go zones for anyone who's not a WASP evangelical CIS hetero.

Much better than the city. Cities ****ing suck.

Just get a little ways from the tourist regions in that area and you'll find a fair number of racists - it's where I've met the most just completely open racists. My brother said something to a clerk at a little store after fishing one time to the effect, "Don't see a lot of blacks around here" and without skipping a beat and casually (which was the scary part) said roughly, "ni**ers know better than to let the sun set on them around here."

But you're right - we have a lot of good people in Tennessee, including the rural and mountain regions, and some sorry people, which is true of anywhere. It's kind of hard for a white person like me to judge racism, but I don't see it much in Knoxville in E. Tn, and wouldn't associate with someone who I knew was racist, and that's not been a problem for the most part. Memphis is like another world, though. Anyone on here has as much knowledge about Memphis as I do.

Blacks can't be RACIST. Several members here will say this like it is an undisputed fact.

Like it or not there is a definition of racism that includes a political system founded on racism. That includes what we have had in America. There is NO political system founded in America by blacks against Whites so that definition holds true.

Now I disagree with the definition that blacks cannot be racists and I agree that blacks can be racists against whites, but when you include the political system that I showed that falls short. Blacks have never founded a political system of racism against whites.

When you ask blacks if racism against whites exist, they will use that definition. So in that sense, if they include the political system, they are right in that blacks have never founded a system of racism against whites. Please learn your history.

Hmm......the existence of people like the departed “volsrock” would seem to support that claim.

Just get a little ways from the tourist regions in that area and you'll find a fair number of racists - it's where I've met the most just completely open racists. My brother said something to a clerk at a little store after fishing one time to the effect, "Don't see a lot of blacks around here" and without skipping a beat and casually (which was the scary part) said roughly, "ni**ers know better than to let the sun set on them around here."

But you're right - we have a lot of good people in Tennessee, including the rural and mountain regions, and some sorry people, which is true of anywhere. It's kind of hard for a white person like me to judge racism, but I don't see it much in Knoxville in E. Tn, and wouldn't associate with someone who I knew was racist, and that's not been a problem for the most part. Memphis is like another world, though. Anyone on here has as much knowledge about Memphis as I do.
Been to Knoxville about 6 years ago. Nice town with friendly people. One of the best friends I had in the Navy was from Knoxville. He was so country (seriously) that at first I had a hard time understanding him when he spoke.

Well I mean, she ran uncontested, so I'm not sure that rhetoric has helped her get elected as much as no one running against her.

Not everyone in TN is racist, but I think that the more red the state, the more undereducated they tend to be. Regardless, it shows a real lack of class and disrespect to the state she holds seat in to say this. If she keeps it up, she may find herself out of a job next election.

"Rural America is the real disease"?

I figure you're just trolling but you're also not the first I've heard say that kind of thing.

Racism as you define it is rampant throughout every developed country from here to Europe to Australia. Mexican whites are far
more racist toward Ameridians than anything happening in this country in this time period.Do you think someone who
wants his grandchildren to closely resemble his grandparents are racists? If so, I have a country that you ought to consider:

From Paraguay, a history lesson on racial equality
Ethnically, culturally, and socially, Paraguay has one of the most homogeneous populations in South America. Because of José Gaspar Rodríguez
de Francia's 1814 policy that no white Spaniards and Europeans could intermarry among themselves (they could only marry blacks, mulattoes,
mestizos or the native Guaraní), a measure taken to avoid white supremacy being established in Paraguay (De Francia believed that all men
were equal as well), it was within little more than one generation that most of the population were of mixed racial origin.

What is it about conservatives when they overhear ANY allegation that so-and-so is a racist? It's like catnip to them! :lol:

Been to Knoxville about 6 years ago. Nice town with friendly people. One of the best friends I had in the Navy was from Knoxville. He was so country (seriously) that at first I had a hard time understanding him when he spoke.

If he was that country, was he from the mountains? The old timers up there almost speak a different language. Pretty interesting, but I agree it's hard to understand if you're not used to them.

"Thanks for electing me, you racist pigs!"

Not the kind of thanks they were looking for, lady.

If he was that country, was he from the mountains? The old timers up there almost speak a different language. Pretty interesting, but I agree it's hard to understand if you're not used to them.
I don’t remember if he was born there, but he grew up in Knoxville. He had a lot of stories about him and his brothers exploits. He had a big extended family. Ever hear of the last name Vickery?

Back
Top Bottom