• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

State rep-elect: “Tennessee is racist,” Republican voters “uneducated”

Like it or not there is a definition of racism that includes a political system founded on racism. That includes what we have had in America. There is NO political system founded in America by blacks against Whites so that definition holds true.

Now I disagree with the definition that blacks cannot be racists and I agree that blacks can be racists against whites, but when you include the political system that I showed that falls short. Blacks have never founded a political system of racism against whites.

When you ask blacks if racism against whites exist, they will use that definition. So in that sense, if they include the political system, they are right in that blacks have never founded a system of racism against whites. Please learn your history.

Please learn how the real world is.
Black people can be and have been/are just as racist and hateful as anyone else.
This is life.

https://wreg.com/2018/11/12/state-rep-elect-tennessee-is-racist-republican-voters-uneducated/

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- A newly-elected state lawmaker from Memphis is facing criticism for controversial comments made in a now-deleted Facebook video.

Democrat London Lamar, who ran uncontested in House District 91, posted the video following last week's election.

"Tennessee's racist. Period. Period. Like, Tennessee is racist," Lamar said in the video.

She also said: "Most of the Tennesseeans who voted Republican are uneducated."

Well, that kind of thing worked enough to get her elected so let's see how it plays out from here. Personally, I find it a little hard to believe that an entire state is racist, period but I haven't been to Tennessee so maybe she's right. Then again, that being the case, it's a little strange that she got elected by all those racists.

Red:
I don't know TN well enough to opine on that remark.

Blue:
Based on research and census data, it appears that Ms. Lamar uttered a disconcerting truth.

• Survey: Tennesseans among least-educated in U.S.
  • Participation rate in the SAT for TN is 6%. The 6% who take it seem to do well enough, but 94% of the state doesn't even take the test.
  • Some specific metrics:
    • Public school spending: $9,605 per pupil (9th lowest in the country)
    • 8th grade NAEP proficiency: 29.2% (math) 32.8% (reading)
    • Adults with at least a bachelor’s degree: 26.1% (10th lowest in the country)
    • Adults 25-64 with incomes at or above national median: 45.4% (9th lowest in the country)
    • 37.8% of 3- and 4-year olds are enrolled in pre-K, one of the smallest shares of any state and about 10 percentage points below the comparable U.S. enrollment figure.
    • 74.9% of eligible children in the state are enrolled in kindergarten, below the 78.3% U.S. figure.
    • Fourth graders in TN are less likely to be proficient in reading than the typical fourth grader nationwide.
    • Eighth graders in Tennessee are less likely to be proficient in math.

I wonder if she is aware that Al Gore, Sr., a democrat Senator from TN, voted against the civil rights act of 1964? Democrats are the racists and always have been. She sounds like a racist herself. Also, uneducated, welfare recipients vote democrat. Why would they vote for evil republicans who want to take away their free ****?

Rural Tennessee. If she'd said Rural Tennesee is racist she'd be dead right. The cities are probably not so much - and that's where she got her votes.

She didn't get any votes, you apparently missed that in the story.

https://wreg.com/2018/11/12/state-rep-elect-tennessee-is-racist-republican-voters-uneducated/

Well, that kind of thing worked enough to get her elected so let's see how it plays out from here. Personally, I find it a little hard to believe that an entire state is racist, period but I haven't been to Tennessee so maybe she's right. Then again, that being the case, it's a little strange that she got elected by all those racists.

From TN, last time I went home, I was put in the hospital for being a race traitor. And the Sheriff told me it was best I just leave and not come back.

Couldn't go to my mom's funeral. Was told I would be right back in the hospital by my uncles and cousins if I set foot there.

Oh btw, I was raised to be whats called a ghost skin. It's a brother of the cause of white power who hides in plain site. Taking up a trusted position within society, usually in law enforcement.

Instead of summer camp, I went to a compound and trained for a race war.

A race war my cousins are sure Trump is going to kick off. And they definitely didn't vote for her. But they live 8 hours away on the other side of the state.

I can't say all of TN is racist, but the community I grew up in is solidly KKK Aryan Brotherhood. They've even incorporated religion into it. The church I went to growing up, preaches white power.

And they aren't dumb about it, they teach us from a young age how to be politically correct lest we draw attention on social media.

Hate has adapted. It's no longer burn a cross on the lawn, it's deny a bank loan so they never get a lawn in the first place.

It's no longer racial slurs, it's presenting certain situations in a light that casts other races as inherently flawed. Like calling Mexicans crossing the border rapists and thieves.

The violence is still there, but it's mainly reserved for people like me. Family members who betray the secrets, turn states evidence, rat out the drug side of the family business. etc.

My parents are dead, neither from natural causes, my step father died in prison. Where me and my brother put him. And my mother.

I send the Honduran that stabbed him 50 bucks every month for commissary.

So when I tell you racism is alive and well in TN. You can take that **** to the bank.

From TN, last time I went home, I was put in the hospital for being a race traitor. And the Sheriff told me it was best I just leave and not come back.

Couldn't go to my mom's funeral. Was told I would be right back in the hospital by my uncles and cousins if I set foot there.

Oh btw, I was raised to be whats called a ghost skin. It's a brother of the cause of white power who hides in plain site. Taking up a trusted position within society, usually in law enforcement.

A race war my cousins are sure Trump is going to kick off. And they definitely didn't vote for her. But they live 8 hours away on the other side of the state.

I can't say all of TN is racist, but the community I grew up in is solidly KKK Aryan Brotherhood. They've even incorporated religion into it. The church I went to growing up, preaches white power.

And they aren't dumb about it, they teach us from a young age how to be politically correct lest we draw attention on social media.

Hate has adapted. It's no longer burn a cross on the lawn, it's deny a bank loan so they never get a lawn in the first place.

It's no longer racial slurs, it's presenting certain situations in a light that casts other races as inherently flawed. Like calling Mexicans crossing the border rapists and thieves.

The violence is still there, but it's mainly reserved for people like me. Family members who betray the secrets, turn states evidence, rat out the drug side of the family business. etc.

My parents are dead, neither from natural causes, my step father died in prison. Where me and my brother put him. And my mother.

So when I tell you racism is alive and well in TN. You can take that **** to the bank.

this sounds like something for the CT section

this sounds like something for the CT section

It's not new info, I've been pretty open about my background for the last two years. In fact, I do a lot to spread awareness. It's not easy to escape that life.

Believe, don't, I don't care.

I'd like to say I don't believe your story, but I've lived in E. Tenn for a long time and do unfortunately, have friends and family who live all over east Tennessee, especially some of the non-tourist mountain regions. Pretty backwards, mostly lawless, definitely racist as anywhere I'd guess.

Well, if we're going to look at facts: I believe Tennessee did vote for Trump...

Research Finds That Racism, Sexism, and Status Fears Drove Trump Voters

And when Trump wanted to energize his base, he used a campaign based on fear, hatred, and racism to do so:

Trump's Midterm Closing Argument: Pure Racial Fear

And Trump did say about his base:

Donald Trump declares 'I love the poorly educated'

So it seems Trump himself agrees with this democrat, and based his campaign strategy on said agreement.

I wonder if she is aware that Al Gore, Sr., a democrat Senator from TN, voted against the civil rights act of 1964? Democrats are the racists and always have been. She sounds like a racist herself. Also, uneducated, welfare recipients vote democrat. Why would they vote for evil republicans who want to take away their free ****?

Oh my, the projection is strong in this one! :lamo

You do realize that Trump ran a campaign that appears to be in 100% agreement with the democrat in the OP, right?

Trump's Midterm Closing Argument: Pure Racial Fear

Or haven't you figured it out yet?

It’s this type of splenetic rhetoric that contributes to tribalism.

I don’t remember if he was born there, but he grew up in Knoxville. He had a lot of stories about him and his brothers exploits. He had a big extended family. Ever hear of the last name Vickery?

Never heard of the family, but it's a big county. Most people who grow up in or near the city of Knoxville don't have much of an accent anymore - too many transplants. It might sound 'southern' to someone outside the state but it's pretty mild. Go 30 miles into the mountains? Different world... ;)

But kids adopt the language of their parents, so who knows. I don't mind the native E. TN accent, but it's not the southern drawl you hear on TV - kind of clangy, and to outsiders sometimes makes the people sound dumb, but it's a mistake to assume that! Many times I've met some of the most country sounding people I've known, overalls, ball cap, etc. and then find out they're worth $millions all of it they earned. This one guy I remember - sat down and talked to us about money management and we didn't know what to think. Thought maybe 100k at best, and he leaves, comes back the next day with a check for over $2m driving a truck that might bring $5k at best. :peace

You sound like you could write for Michael Avenatti.

Is part of the toning down the overheated political rhetoric?
Doesn't seem so to me. Also seems awfully divisive and incendiary to me as well.

Never heard of the family, but it's a big county. Most people who grow up in or near the city of Knoxville don't have much of an accent anymore - too many transplants. It might sound 'southern' to someone outside the state but it's pretty mild. Go 30 miles into the mountains? Different world... ;)

But kids adopt the language of their parents, so who knows. I don't mind the native E. TN accent, but it's not the southern drawl you hear on TV - kind of clangy, and to outsiders sometimes makes the people sound dumb, but it's a mistake to assume that! Many times I've met some of the most country sounding people I've known, overalls, ball cap, etc. and then find out they're worth $millions all of it they earned. This one guy I remember - sat down and talked to us about money management and we didn't know what to think. Thought maybe 100k at best, and he leaves, comes back the next day with a check for over $2m driving a truck that might bring $5k at best. :peace
I noticed that the accents were fairly mild in Knoxville and more pronounced, but still easily understandable further east at Deals Gap (blame it on NC ;) ). Maybe my buddy’s family moved down from the mountains when he was little. Anyways, I totally get what you’re saying. I’m born and raised in FL (5th generation). From Jacksonville down to the Keys and west to Panama City is like 3 very dissimilar states. Some of the smartest and most unpretentious people I’ve ever known have been country people. My Grandfather was a successful rancher and orange orchard owner in Pinellas County, but you’d never catch a sign of it if you met him. His only luxuries were a couple of nice bass boats and a Jeep Grand Wagoneer, and he had a drawl that made **** sound like a four syllable word!

A few pics from our visit to Knoxville in ‘14 during the Power Tour. I can’t rememer the name of the park where all the festivities were.
Our ride
AC43532E-56BF-419E-B1B5-013E5DC693C2.jpgAC43532E-56BF-419E-B1B5-013E5DC693C2.jpg
River walk
722C0719-AEA5-4760-A214-E835945384C5.jpg
444C233E-2AE1-4F04-930B-6B43E602431A.jpg
Celebs
E561D45A-68F0-46E5-BC04-C5CA7A321DEE.jpg
Looking forward to visiting your beautiful state again soon!

Last edited:
^^ My wife just reminded me that the two river walk pics came from the stop in Iowa. My apologies.

^^ My wife just reminded me that the two river walk pics came from the stop in Iowa. My apologies.

That makes me feel better. I was thinking those pictures didn't look like anything I knew of in this area, especially that bridge. Thought I might be going crazy... :peace

The Power Tour location looks like Chilhowee Park, which is a sprawling area and the location of almost all the shows like that here in town. Glad you enjoyed your visit.

It's a nice place - people are pretty friendly, lots of lakes formed by TVA dams, good trout fishing below the dams, and we do quite a bit of hiking in the Smokies and a half dozen other federal and state parks/national forests within an hour or so. Economy is pretty good, but cost of living is still pretty low and traffic mostly bearable. Not a bad mix for us.

That makes me feel better. I was thinking those pictures didn't look like anything I knew of in this area, especially that bridge. Thought I might be going crazy... :peace

The Power Tour location looks like Chilhowee Park, which is a sprawling area and the location of almost all the shows like that here in town. Glad you enjoyed your visit.

It's a nice place - people are pretty friendly, lots of lakes formed by TVA dams, good trout fishing below the dams, and we do quite a bit of hiking in the Smokies and a half dozen other federal and state parks/national forests within an hour or so. Economy is pretty good, but cost of living is still pretty low and traffic mostly bearable. Not a bad mix for us.

You’re right, it was Chilhowee Park. Thank goodness my wife has a good memory. I sometimes jumble events that were close together in time. One of the joys of getting older.

I did get some nice pics of the dam at Deals Gap.
46AD5ECB-8506-4593-BD7B-A945C1F9543C.jpg
They filmed a scene from “The Fugitive”, with Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones.

Back
Top Bottom