• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

State Rankings in Gun Freedom

braymoore

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Hey everybody!
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion about this site's ranking the states in gun freedom. I would really like it if people from every state could comment on if that's really how they think their state acts and if that's where they belong on the list. I for one thought that Texas would be at least in the top 10, so all you Texans, tell me if I'm wrong to say that or not. I'm from Utah and have lived my whole life there and would have to agree on their placing in the rankings. So lets see how good they did ranking the States.

Laws for Firearms: Best States for Gun Owners - Guns & Ammo

Texas is ranked too high, IMHO, since the open carry (of a loaded handgun) is illegal with minor exceptions for in (or walking to) a vehicle. CHLs are available, on a shall issue basis, but at a very high cost (about $240) at 10X the cost of a driver's permit. The Texas castle law is good but that is offset by requiring a CHL - the use of deadly force requires having (not renting) that right in the first place. Not allowing open carry of a handgun, even while having a CHL, is hardly gun friendly.

Texas is ranked too high, IMHO, since the open carry (of a loaded handgun) is illegal with minor exceptions for in (or walking to) a vehicle. CHLs are available, on a shall issue basis, but at a very high cost (about $240) at 10X the cost of a driver's permit. The Texas castle law is good but that is offset by requiring a CHL - the use of deadly force requires having (not renting) that right in the first place. Not allowing open carry of a handgun, even while having a CHL, is hardly gun friendly.
I agree, and while the legislature made your vehicle part of your castle, some of the larger cities have
said they will still arrest someone with a gun in their car and no CHL.

I agree, and while the legislature made your vehicle part of your castle, some of the larger cities have

Around here the sheriff will simply ask you if you are proceeding to your vehicle; when you say "yes sir" then you are legally carrying. ;)

Oh it might depend on your outlook on life... half full or half empty.

Last I checked Texas made your vehicle an extension of your home so a firearm can be in reach but concealed without the need for a CCL. You have the right to use deadly force at night in defense of property outside the home. A Texan can open carry on his own property, while hunting, and while at a comp.

All in all I'd say Texas is a pretty gun friendly state when it comes to laws shielding shooters from civil lawsuits and there is no need to retreat both at work or in your vehicle. As far as cost goes it seems to be 140 for most folks with the elderly and indigent paying 70. Class III seems very ahhh 'liberal'...

What amazed me was the report claiming less than a 1/3rd of the Residents owning firearms.... :shock:

At that point, they need to be sued. State law supercedes local in most matters.

I object to Washington being ranked in the bottom. Washington is listed as the 40th most friendly.

however, Washington is shall issue (in fact, WA was the FIRST shall issue state) CPLs are 50 bucks and a background check, no training required (one of the marks against washington was not many states are recipricol with WAs CCW, thats because many will not recognize ours because there is no training required) open carry is legal with no license, loaded on foot, unloaded while in vehicle unless you have a CPL.

the ranking insists WA has a long list of banned places, which is not true. the only no go zones in WA are bars, courthouses, schools, jails, mental health facilities, and outdoor music festivals. (figure that one out)

not only does Washington have stand your ground and castle doctrine (again, WA was one of the first states to have stand your ground, in 1917) but we have a law that states if youre found not guilty by reason of self defense the state must reimburse your legal expenses.

so i do not agree with my states ranking, we should be least number 15.....

Hey everybody!
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion about this site's ranking the states in gun freedom. I would really like it if people from every state could comment on if that's really how they think their state acts and if that's where they belong on the list. I for one thought that Texas would be at least in the top 10, so all you Texans, tell me if I'm wrong to say that or not. I'm from Utah and have lived my whole life there and would have to agree on their placing in the rankings. So lets see how good they did ranking the States.

Laws for Firearms: Best States for Gun Owners - Guns & Ammo

Ohio was ranked too low though it does have a 31 round limit (which may soon be repealed)

For the record, I'm happy with AZ's ranking.

Not surprised at all by Maryland's ranking, I've really gotta get out of here.

I thought it would be higher. Agreed that Open Carry would be good. While doing some research into suppressors/silencers, I did find out that Texas is the only state that allows them to mailed to your home. Texas also allows you to set up a "trust" for silencers so you don't have to get separate approval for each weapon with local law enforcement and the trust also allows you to put others into the trust so they can legally use/carry a silenced weapon that you own. A class III is not required for silencers.

As to those cities/districts/counties that want to supersede state law, reckon the folks there should be sending some petitions/letters to the states attorney general over that.

I also thought ownership would be higher, but then, thinking about it, we do have a fair number of large towns/cities.

I thought it would be higher. Agreed that Open Carry would be good. While doing some research into suppressors/silencers, I did find out that Texas is the only state that allows them to mailed to your home. Texas also allows you to set up a "trust" for silencers so you don't have to get separate approval for each weapon with local law enforcement and the trust also allows you to put others into the trust so they can legally use/carry a silenced weapon that you own. A class III is not required for silencers.

As to those cities/districts/counties that want to supersede state law, reckon the folks there should be sending some petitions/letters to the states attorney general over that.

I also thought ownership would be higher, but then, thinking about it, we do have a fair number of large towns/cities.

I'm surprised Texas is a non-open carry state. many far more liberal states have open carry. about half of the states open carry is generally legal with no license.

I'm surprised Texas is a non-open carry state. many far more liberal states have open carry. about half of the states open carry is generally legal with no license.

You have to remember that Texas wasn't always a "conservative" state. We, like many other southern and rural states switched sides. And we still have about 40% Dems today. Theres a push on for it and we'll probably go that way eventually.

Laziness is changing things is one of the things I've come to expect from the GOP. With the TEA party guys gaining more influence, we may see some change. I may not like some of the stuff they stand for, but it would be hard to call a lot of them lazy about introducing laws to change things.

But let's face it. All those gun laws and freedoms won't change a thing until those in impoverished, gang and crime ridden areas start taking advantage of the laws and start standing up for themselves.

Back
Top Bottom