• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

State Dept. inspector general report sharply criticizes Clinton’s email practices

Ok, fine...she broke the law. :roll: What exactly should be her punishment for:

1) having access to classified information.

2) for having classified information on her private email server.

3) for sending and receiving classified information (marked or unmarked; and I'm going to assume that she was well aware of the level of information she sent since to date we still don't have confirmation that she ever sent classified information to unauthorized personnel or that there was a successful breach to her server).

(Notice that all three of the above would have been in the normal day-to-day performance of her job as Secretary of State.)

Did she receive authorization outside of the State Department to have her own private server? No.

Did she turn over all work-related (official) documents to the proper authorities prior to leaving office? No

Did she follow established IT/records management protocols? No

Is any of this criminal?

Did any classified information remain in her possession?

Did any classified information fall into enemy hands?

Those would be the criminal actions. So, when that FBI report discovers that her skirting the rules allowed classified information to fall into enemy hands, let me know. Until then, we're done with this discussion.

Mishandling classified information, alone, is a crime.

Mishandling classified information, alone, is a crime.

But there's no proof that any such thing occurred.

When it comes to routing classified documents, there's a chain of receipts in place. Each document is numbered according to their classification. Each time the document is routed from one person/department to the next, there's a record of who has it. To that, just because classified information was found on her server (i.e., details from classified sources, i.e., the name of a classified operation or troop levels, etc.) DOES NOT mean that such information was mishandled.

Again, in this case you'd have to prove that any classified emails fell into enemy hands OR that she failed to turn over all classified material which came into her possession (other than those emails found on her server which apparently didn't not contain classified markings. I'm mostly referring to hard copy documents here, however.). Since neither has been shown to be fact, I'd say you're (still) grasping at straws here.

Let it go...at least until the FBI has completed (or even started) their investigation. If they find that she committed a gross violation of the law where "mishandling of classified information" is concerned, then I'm on that bandwagon. Until then...

:coffeepap....:2wave:

Last edited:

When it comes to routing classified documents, there's a chain of receipts in place. Each document is numbered according to their classification. Each time the document is routed from one person/department to the next, there's a record of who has it. To that, just because classified information was found on her server (i.e., details from classified sources, i.e., the name of a classified operation or troop levels, etc.) DOES NOT mean that such information was mishandled.

Again, in this case you'd have to prove that any classified emails fell into enemy hands OR that she failed to turn over all classified material which came into her possession (other than those emails found on her server which apparently didn't not contain classified markings. I'm mostly referring to hard copy documents here, however.). Since neither has been shown to be fact, I'd say you're (still) grasping at straws here.

Let it go...at least until the FBI has completed (or even started) their investigation. If they find that she committed a gross violation of the law where "mishandling of classified information" is concerned, then I'm on that bandwagon. Until then...

:coffeepap....:2wave:

The IG says it occured. That's damming evidence.

The IG says it occured. That's damming evidence.

The OIG Report does not say that Hillary possessed or mishandled any classified documents. You can search the .pdf file of the report yourself using keywords "secret, confidential or classified (ensure to put a space before the word 'classified' to ensure you don't pull up any references to the word 'unclassified'.). You won't find a single statement acknowledging that she possessed classified records other than a classified memo that was found among her hardcopy files upon her departure as Sec of State. If anything, the OIG Report makes clear that she transmitted sensitive, but unclassified information, but nothing classified although we both know per the Washington Post that government officials have stated that she wrote upwards of 104 emails that contained classified information that should have been marked "classified" at some level. Still, that's different from claiming that such a discovery was made by the OIG. Their report never claimed such a thing occurred. (See Footnote 124 for details on SBU information)

But again, I'll wait for the findings from the FBI...see what they say about this situation before going any further about it. You may comment as you like, but I'm done for now.

See my post #234...

(Of course, you could always read the report yourself and find all your answers there just as well.)

I read the report, and it says she was told not to do it, she was not given authorization to do it, she was offered govt means to conduct her business, and yet she insisted on using her own. Why do you think that was?

Violating an email policy is hardly equivalent to feeding state secrets outside the government.

Using a private server is the very definition of "outside the govt".

Andrew Napolitano claims that during Hillary's tenure as SecState she never appointed an IG.

Now it's easy to understand why. She's a crook.

When it comes to routing classified documents, there's a chain of receipts in place. Each document is numbered according to their classification. Each time the document is routed from one person/department to the next, there's a record of who has it.

Yes, classified memos are numbered. Yes, classified, PHYSICAL documents are carefully tracked when changing custody. No such numbering or tracking occurs for classified emails. Maybe it should, but it doesn't.

Let it go...at least until the FBI has completed (or even started) their investigation.

I'm with you on that. I am tired of speculating over so-called leaks. I am waiting for the FBI's official word.

I read the report, and it says she was told not to do it, she was not given authorization to do it, she was offered govt means to conduct her business, and yet she insisted on using her own. Why do you think that was?

Again, see my post #234...

Using a private server is the very definition of "outside the govt".

What a meaningless equivocation.

No, i was speaking to feeding secrets to people. Do you realize that there should not have been any classified information on her email anyway ?

What a meaningless equivocation.

No, i was speaking to feeding secrets to people. Do you realize that there should not have been any classified information on her email anyway ?

No, it's not equivocation. Her server was not in govt....it was outside govt.

Yes, there should not have been classified email, or anything else, on her personal server. Reportedly, that's why the FBI is investigating her.

No, it's not equivocation. Her server was not in govt....it was outside govt.

Yes, there should not have been classified email, or anything else, on her personal server. Reportedly, that's why the FBI is investigating her.

You are changing what i meant by "outside government" to what you want it to mean. That is the equivocation. It is a dishonest debate tactic used when one is desperate. I suspect that utilizing such a tactic indicates that some part of you acknowledges that i have a point.

Cabinet Officers don't appoint IG's.

I'll take your word for that.

I guess the stars were just aligned perfectly for there to be no IG during Clinton's time of service. Pure magic, eh? ;)

I'll take your word for that.

I guess the stars were just aligned perfectly for there to be no IG during Clinton's time of service. Pure magic, eh? ;)
The Acting IG in office during her term had been appointed by GW Bush in early 2008 - after his appointed IG stepped down amidst fraud charges.

The Acting IG in office during her term had been appointed by GW Bush in early 2008 - after his appointed IG stepped down amidst fraud charges.

Did that acting IG have a name? So you're saying that Dubya appointed a temp in 2008, to replace one that stepped down before?

The way this new IG is exposing Hillary's law-breaking, it's no wonder she would not want one.

Not quite.

There's nothing illegal about her having access to classified material in the performance of her duties as Secretary of State. The "mishandling" part at this point is sketchy because despite the five or so Congressional hearings on this subject, there hasn't been any concrete evidence proving that she improperly handled any classified material. In this case, "mishandling" could mean anything from not following a specified chain of receipts per protocol or sending classified documents to the wrong personal who wasn't suppose to get them or allowing classified material to fall into the wrong hands.

If any of these things prove to be true, then the Justice Department should hold her accountable. If not (and again, there have been a number of hearings to bore out these things), there's really nothing that can be done since most of her "blunders" seem to fall under "administrative" mismanagement and not criminal behavior.
That you say in your conclusion that "...really nothing can be done..." is simply untrue, and is as laughable as the FBI conducting a "security audit"

Sent from my LGLK430 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom