• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

State Dept. inspector general report sharply criticizes Clinton’s email practices

That's fine, but DoS is free to establish its own policies.

That is true...as long as they follow NARA guidelines for preserving information.

I said starts on 36...it goes on for several pages and you have to read for comprehension.

Sorry you missed my edit....I read pages 36 - 40. Didn't see it. So would you mind quoting the exact paragraph that supports your claim? Or at least provide the exact page?

Sorry you missed my edit....I read pages 36 - 40. Didn't see it. So would you mind quoting the exact paragraph that supports your claim? Or at least provide the exact page?

I'm sorry, you're just going to have to read what it says and compare it to what it says about Powell. Specifically that change in regulations between the two. If you like, you read the analysis of this document (if you can't comprehend it) published by politico, factcheck, ny times and many others.

There's a reason why neither the Clinton camp nor DoS has cited NARA. They're not involved.

Well, the State Dept spokesperson says otherwise....

QUESTION: Is there a prohibition now on using a personal address for government --

MS. HARF: Not to my knowledge, no. The rules as they stand now – and let me just pull this up so I have this – and NARA has continually updated their guidance. The September 2013 NARA guidance is that if an employee uses a personal email account to conduct official business, he or she is instructed to take steps to ensure that any records sent or received are preserved – for example, by forwarding it to an official government account. Those rules have been sent to all State Department employees to make sure they knew that. And again, this is an ongoing process to update records management. As you can all imagine, this is a huge undertaking for an organization as large as ours that actually hasn’t had email for – in the grand scheme of things – all that long......

http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...nton-s-email-practices-24.html#post1065921618

I'm sorry, you're just going to have to read what it says and compare it to what it says about Powell. Specifically that change in regulations between the two. If you like, you read the analysis of this document (if you can't comprehend it) published by politico, factcheck, ny times and many others.

I think we did compare....Powell used an unsecured email service on his personal laptop and then deleted all his emails. So how is that not worse than what Clinton did?

12 FAM 544.3 Electronic Transmission Via the Internet

(CT: DS-117; 11-04-2005)

a. It is the Department’s general policy that normal day-to-day operations be conducted on an authorized AIS, which has the proper level of security control to provide nonrepudiation, authentication and encryption, to ensure confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the resident information. The Department’s authorized telework solution(s) are designed in a manner that meet these requirements and are not considered end points outside of the Department’s management control.

b. The Department is expected to provide, and employees are expected to use, approved secure methods to transmit SBU information when available and practical.

c. Employees should be aware that transmissions from the Department’s OpenNet to and from non-U.S. Government Internet addresses, and other .gov or .mil addresses, unless specifically directed through an approved secure means, traverse the Internet unencrypted. Therefore, employees must be cognizant of the sensitivity of the information and mandated security controls, and evaluate the possible security risks and then decide whether a more secure means of transmission is warranted (i.e., secure fax, mail or network, etc.)

d. In the absence of a Department-provided secure method, employees with a valid business need may transmit SBU information over the Internet unencrypted, after carefully considering that:

(1) SBU information within the category in 12 FAM 541b(7)(a) and (b) must never be sent unencrypted via the Internet;

(2) Unencrypted information transmitted via the Internet is susceptible to access by unauthorized personnel;

(3) Email transmissions via the Internet generally consist of multipoint communications that are routed to their destination through the path of least resistance, which may include multiple foreign and U.S. controlled Internet service providers (ISP);

(4) Once resident on an ISP server, the SBU information remains until it is overwritten;

(5) Unencrypted email transmissions are subject to a risk of compromise of information confidentiality or integrity;

(6) SBU information resident on personally owned computers connected to the Internet is generally more susceptible to cyber attacks and/or compromise than information on Government-owned computers connected to the Internet;

(7) The Internet is globally accessed (i.e., there are no physical or traditional territorial boundaries). Transmissions through foreign ISPs or servers can magnify these risks; and

(8) Current technology can target specific email addresses or suffixes and content of unencrypted messages.

e. SBU information must not be posted on any public Internet Web site, discussed in a publicly available chat room or any other public forum on the Internet.

f. To preclude inadvertent transmission of SBU information prohibited on the Internet, AIS users must not use an “auto-forward” function to send emails to an address outside the Department’s network.

g. SBU information created on or downloaded to publicly available non- U.S. Government-owned computers, such as Internet kiosks, should be removed when no longer needed.

h. All users who process SBU information on personally owned computers must ensure that these computers will provide adequate and appropriate security for that information. This includes:

(1) Disabling unencrypted wireless access;

(2) The maintenance of adequate physical security;

(3) The use of anti-virus and spyware software; and

(4) Ensuring that all operating system and other software security patches, virus definitions, firewall version updates, and spyware definitions are current.

No, the evidence is in the report, with supporting analysis from everyone from factcheck to the ny times. Ignore it all you want, the ignorance is yours.

Claims like this are in the fact check :

"The department did not ask the four former secretaries of state, including Clinton, to sign separation agreements certifying that they had turned over all work-related documents. Clinton has been criticized by Republican strategist Karl Rove and others — for failing to sign the statement, but that was part of the department’s “systemic weaknesses” and not unique to Clinton."

That's evidence for my narrative. There was none for yours that i could find. I have challenged you to produce any, and you have failed. I will no longer address this line of reasoning without some specific evidence from an actual source.

I think we did compare....Powell used an unsecured email service on his personal laptop and then deleted all his emails. So how is that not worse than what Clinton did?

Primarily the changes in regulation between the two. Further, Powell didn't setup and use his own server, he wasn't told not to do what he was doing, and he didn't lie to the American people about doing it....among other things.

Claims like this are in the fact check :

"The department did not ask the four former secretaries of state, including Clinton, to sign separation agreements certifying that they had turned over all work-related documents. Clinton has been criticized by Republican strategist Karl Rove and others — for failing to sign the statement, but that was part of the department’s “systemic weaknesses” and not unique to Clinton."

That's evidence for my narrative. There was none for yours that i could find. I have challenged you to produce any, and you have failed. I will no longer address this line of reasoning without some specific evidence from an actual source.

Cherry picking factcheck makes you disingenuous. Read the rest of what they have to say.

Clinton set up her own server in a Nixonian attempt to circumvent FOIA. She did not turn over all her emails from that server, she lied about being authorized to use that server, and alledgedly passed classified information through that server. None of those things can be attributed to Powell.

Further, most of the regulations regarding email use were put in place after Powell left office, and his replacement dutifully followed the new regulations.

12 FAM 544.3 Electronic Transmission Via the Internet

(CT: DS-117; 11-04-2005)

a. It is the Department’s general policy that normal day-to-day operations be conducted on an authorized AIS, which has the proper level of security control to provide nonrepudiation, authentication and encryption, to ensure confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the resident information. The Department’s authorized telework solution(s) are designed in a manner that meet these requirements and are not considered end points outside of the Department’s management control.

b. The Department is expected to provide, and employees are expected to use, approved secure methods to transmit SBU information when available and practical.

c. Employees should be aware that transmissions from the Department’s OpenNet to and from non-U.S. Government Internet addresses, and other .gov or .mil addresses, unless specifically directed through an approved secure means, traverse the Internet unencrypted. Therefore, employees must be cognizant of the sensitivity of the information and mandated security controls, and evaluate the possible security risks and then decide whether a more secure means of transmission is warranted (i.e., secure fax, mail or network, etc.)

d. In the absence of a Department-provided secure method, employees with a valid business need may transmit SBU information over the Internet unencrypted, after carefully considering that:

(1) SBU information within the category in 12 FAM 541b(7)(a) and (b) must never be sent unencrypted via the Internet;

(2) Unencrypted information transmitted via the Internet is susceptible to access by unauthorized personnel;

(3) Email transmissions via the Internet generally consist of multipoint communications that are routed to their destination through the path of least resistance, which may include multiple foreign and U.S. controlled Internet service providers (ISP);

(4) Once resident on an ISP server, the SBU information remains until it is overwritten;

(5) Unencrypted email transmissions are subject to a risk of compromise of information confidentiality or integrity;

(6) SBU information resident on personally owned computers connected to the Internet is generally more susceptible to cyber attacks and/or compromise than information on Government-owned computers connected to the Internet;

(7) The Internet is globally accessed (i.e., there are no physical or traditional territorial boundaries). Transmissions through foreign ISPs or servers can magnify these risks; and

(8) Current technology can target specific email addresses or suffixes and content of unencrypted messages.

e. SBU information must not be posted on any public Internet Web site, discussed in a publicly available chat room or any other public forum on the Internet.

f. To preclude inadvertent transmission of SBU information prohibited on the Internet, AIS users must not use an “auto-forward” function to send emails to an address outside the Department’s network.

g. SBU information created on or downloaded to publicly available non- U.S. Government-owned computers, such as Internet kiosks, should be removed when no longer needed.

h. All users who process SBU information on personally owned computers must ensure that these computers will provide adequate and appropriate security for that information. This includes:

(1) Disabling unencrypted wireless access;

(2) The maintenance of adequate physical security;

(3) The use of anti-virus and spyware software; and

(4) Ensuring that all operating system and other software security patches, virus definitions, firewall version updates, and spyware definitions are current.

Thanks, but where's the link and what are you trying to prove, now? Anyway, did you notice it says that people can use their personal computer? (see bolded above)

Clinton set up her own server in a Nixonian attempt to circumvent FOIA. She did not turn over all her emails from that server, she lied about being authorized to use that server, and alledgedly passed classified information through that server. None of those things can be attributed to Powell.

Further, most of the regulations regarding email use were put in place after Powell left office.

That doesn't make sense. Because if she wanted to avoid the FOIA then why did she send emails to State Department email addresses and save over 55,000 emails?

She didn't turn over her private emails because it wasn't necessary or mandatory.

The regulations regarding emails haven't changed that much since Powell...if at all.

Last edited:
That doesn't make sense. Because if she wanted to avoid the FOIA then why did she send emails to State Department email addresses and save over 55,000 emails?

If she didn't want to circumvent, why set up a personal server, at personal expense, when a taxpayer funded (and approved) govt server was available?

The regulations regarding emails haven't changed that much since Powell.

They haven't only changed, most of them weren't even in place until 6 months after he left office.

Cherry picking factcheck makes you disingenuous. Read the rest of what they have to say.

Please quote what you think backs your narrative.

"The IG report also said the only other secretary of state to use personal email “exclusively” for government business was Colin Powell, contrary to Clinton’s claim that her “predecessors” — plural — “did the same thing.” The IG also said that, like Clinton, Powell did not comply with policies on preserving work-related emails."

"
Separately, the State Department Office of Inspector General — which is headed by Steve A. Linick, an appointee of President Obama — conducted a review of the Office of the Secretary’s “email records management and cybersecurity requirements” since 1997, covering the tenures of five secretaries of state and their staffs. The result is a 79-page report that identified “systemic weaknesses … that go well beyond the tenure of any one Secretary of State.” It made eight recommendations to the department."

Please quote what you think backs your narrative.

"The IG report also said the only other secretary of state to use personal email “exclusively” for government business was Colin Powell, contrary to Clinton’s claim that her “predecessors” — plural — “did the same thing.” The IG also said that, like Clinton, Powell did not comply with policies on preserving work-related emails."

"
Separately, the State Department Office of Inspector General — which is headed by Steve A. Linick, an appointee of President Obama — conducted a review of the Office of the Secretary’s “email records management and cybersecurity requirements” since 1997, covering the tenures of five secretaries of state and their staffs. The result is a 79-page report that identified “systemic weaknesses … that go well beyond the tenure of any one Secretary of State.” It made eight recommendations to the department."

The IG report also said the only other secretary of state to use personal email “exclusively” for government business was Colin Powell, contrary to Clinton’s claim that her “predecessors” — plural — “did the same thing.” The IG also said that, like Clinton, Powell did not comply with policies on preserving work-related emails.

But the IG report said the comparison to Powell — who did not use a private server — only goes so far. It said during Clinton’s tenure, the rules governing personal email and the use of nongovernment systems were “considerably more detailed and more sophisticated,” citing specific memos that warned department employees about the security risks of not using the government system.

“Secretary Clinton’s cybersecurity practices accordingly must be evaluated in light of these more comprehensive directives,” the report said.

I think it might be a rule or a code. Not making a full stop at a stop sign is not usually considered "criminal" activity that could indict someone or land them in jail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_code

It's a law. Not stopping at a stop sign is a misdemeanor. Kinda like, "high crimes and misdemeanors". Does that ring a bell?

The IG report also said the only other secretary of state to use personal email “exclusively” for government business was Colin Powell, contrary to Clinton’s claim that her “predecessors” — plural — “did the same thing.” The IG also said that, like Clinton, Powell did not comply with policies on preserving work-related emails.

But the IG report said the comparison to Powell — who did not use a private server — only goes so far. It said during Clinton’s tenure, the rules governing personal email and the use of nongovernment systems were “considerably more detailed and more sophisticated,” citing specific memos that warned department employees about the security risks of not using the government system.

“Secretary Clinton’s cybersecurity practices accordingly must be evaluated in light of these more comprehensive directives,” the report said.

The IG report says that....but the new NARA directives that provided guidance for the State Dept. were put in place in 2013 and Clinton left office in 2012. After reading the new directives...they don't look that much different from the old directives.

Back
Top Bottom