• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

State Department: White House gift records for Trump, Pence missing

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The State Department says it is unable to compile a complete and accurate accounting of gifts presented to former President Donald Trump and other U.S. officials by foreign governments during Trump’s final year in office, citing missing data from the White House.
The State Department report comes as House lawmakers have opened an investigation into reports that Trump had taken boxes of classified materials with him to his Mar-a-Lago residence in Florida after leaving office last year. The National Archives and Records Administration has asked the Justice Department to look into the matter.
The House panel investigating the Jan. 6 insurrection at the Capitol, meanwhile, has identified an almost 8-hour gap in official White House records of Trump’s phone calls as the violence unfolded and his supporters stormed the building, according to two people familiar with the probe.

--

Coincidences! Always, "coincidences"!

Please pardon some of us that believe these 'coincidences' strain the bounds of credulity!

I see only four possibilities:

1] Gross Incompetence
2] Gross Negligence
3] Willful Negligence
4] Overt Subterfuge

None of these are good . . .

--

Please pardon some of us that believe these 'coincidences' strain the bounds of credulity!

1] Gross Incompetence
2] Gross Negligence
3] Willful Negligence
4] Overt Subterfuge

Have they checked the plumbing?

Joking. He probably fired whoever kept the list and the newbie didn't get told about that one. Or he/someone got a gift they really wanted to keep, so that list was scuppered. We know he took some home, so can't you just imagine him ordering them to quit with that damned list?

We know the gap in switchboard records wasn't unusual, but his diarist calling in sick that day is kind of "coincidental," isn't it? She/he would have recorded who he spoke with in the daily diary.

Have they checked the plumbing?

Joking. He probably fired whoever kept the list and the newbie didn't get told about that one. Or he/someone got a gift they really wanted to keep, so that list was scuppered. We know he took some home, so can't you just imagine him ordering them to quit with that damned list?

We know the gap in switchboard records wasn't unusual, but his diarist calling in sick that day is kind of "coincidental," isn't it? She/he would have recorded who he spoke with in the daily diary.

There's just too many 'coincidences' with the guy.

Whatever the reason, none of them are good, which is why he needs to be kept out of office.

--

1] Gross Incompetence
2] Gross Negligence
3] Willful Negligence
4] Overt Subterfuge

There's a reason why incompetence and negligence don't work as explanations: the trumps only* commit crimes that require proving mens rea. No human being can rationally accept that extraordinary a coincidence. So that leaves overt subterfuge.

*Well, there's the rape thing too, but that's a notoriously difficult crime to prosecute for it's own set of reasons.

/Sarcasm on
Trump:
But, But, the gifts were given to me. Not the people of the US. but ME. They are mine. As such no records were needed.

There's a reason why incompetence and negligence don't work as explanations: the trumps only* commit crimes that require proving mens rea. No human being can rationally accept that extraordinary a coincidence. So that leaves overt subterfuge.

*Well, there's the rape thing too, but that's a notoriously difficult crime to prosecute for it's own set of reasons.

And I would also say it's further than a men's rea defense. Essentially, they seem to be destroying or withholding evidence, even if the mechanics of it are in not documenting the evidence initially. But it's not just their not documenting evidence, but they're willfully destroying, deleting, or absconding with it!

Then we get into even worse scenarios! What was Trump doing with all those boxes of documents he removed from the WH to Mar A Lago? Was he offering them to the highest bidder? There's some reason he brought them there, but didn't destroy them. If they were evidence against him, he would have destroyed them.

Last edited:
And I would also say it's further than a men's rea defense. Essentially, they seem to be destroying or withholding evidence, even if the mechanics of it are in not documenting the evidence initially. But it's not just their not documenting evidence, but they're willfully destroying, deleting, or absconding with it!

Then we get into even worse scenarios! What was Trumping doing with all those boxes of documents he removed from the WH to Mar A Lago? Was he offering them to the highest bidder? There's some reason he brought them there, but didn't destroy them. If they were evidence against him, he would have destroyed them.

Which was exactly a point I made in the thread I started on the DOJ investigating him for that incident. Why was Trump so cooperative in returning the boxes of documents, and there are only three possible explanations:

1) He found compromising records and destroyed them.
2) He looked through the records and found no compromising records (I find this very unlikely).
3) He decided the records weren't "spicy" enough to profit off.

Which was exactly a point I made in the thread I started on the DOJ investigating him for that incident. Why was Trump so cooperative in returning the boxes of documents, and there are only three possible explanations:

Quite likely.

2) He looked through the records and found no compromising records (I find this very unlikely).

Right! :p

What makes you so sure he hasn't safely spirited away the valuable stuff?

1] Gross Incompetence
2] Gross Negligence
3] Willful Negligence
4] Overt Subterfuge

1649655581486.png

We all know what happened

Is the price for not reporting those gifts less than the value of the gifts?

If so, you have your answer.

Edit: To clarify, the price to whoever is currently benefiting from those gifts. If it's just one of their flunkies they can throw under the bus who will pay, it doesn't count.

Gifts included 10% “for the Big Guy (Trump)”

Is the price for not reporting those gifts less than the value of the gifts?

If so, you have your answer.

Edit: To clarify, the price to whoever is currently benefiting from those gifts. If it's just one of their flunkies they can throw under the bus who will pay, it doesn't count.

Taht’s never the operative question with trump.

The operative question is “Do I think I can get away with it?” (And Trump always answered that question with a yes).

--

1] Gross Incompetence
2] Gross Negligence
3] Willful Negligence
4] Overt Subterfuge

Or it could be yet another unjustified witch hunt conducted by unethical and corrupt political hacks trying to distract from the failings of their own incompetence.

EHRMAGERD LIBZ HAZ DA TDS U NO GO A DAY WIFOUT TDS MAKIN U CRZY

(Saving our Trump devotees here a little time)

Or it could be yet another unjustified witch hunt conducted by unethical and corrupt political hacks trying to distract from the failings of their own incompetence.
Considering Trumps history, probably not.

LOL! "Arrest that man holding a Big Mac and a 9-iron!"

"The Russians have Kompromat; will be released any day!"
"Avanati and Stormy have the evidence!"
"Michael Cohen knows where the bodies are!"
"As soon as we get Trump's taxes he's toast!"
"7 hours of phone logs!"

LOL! "Arrest that man holding a Big Mac and a 9-iron!"

"The Russians have Kompromat; will be released any day!"
"Avanati and Stormy have the evidence!"
"Michael Cohen knows where the bodies are!"
"As soon as we get Trump's taxes he's toast!"
"7 hours of phone logs!"

From the song, When a Man Loves a Woman:

"If she is bad, he can't see it
She can do no wrong
And turn his back on his best friend
If he puts her down"

...except in this case the woman is Trump and the best friend is your country. You should be ashamed to list half a dozen of Trump's crimes and then play dumb about it. All your list shows is how shameless a criminal Trump is and how well his cult is self-deluded.

From the song, When a Man Loves a Woman:

"If she is bad, he can't see it
She can do no wrong
And turn his back on his best friend
If he puts her down"

...except in this case the woman is Trump and the best friend is your country. You should be ashamed to list half a dozen of Trump's crimes and then play dumb about it. All your list shows is how shameless a criminal Trump is and how well his cult is self-deluded.

The left have made hundreds of accusations about Trump, none of which have seen the inside of a courtroom.

Keep singing the hits though! 60's music rules!

Yeah, right.... I have always hated the saying "where there is smoke, there is fire", except here. There is so much smoke around Donald Trump you would have to be a ignorant fool to just ignore it (ignorant -- ignore, same root).

Not one investigation, that I am aware of, concerning Donald Trump has been a "witch hunt".... they have all turned up wrong doing and often crimes.

When you continue to defend the indefensible you start to look foolish. I would save your credibility capital for someone that deserves it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom