• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

State Constitutional Amendments and Referendums

joko104

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Most state laws have provisions to also have ballots list Constitutional Amendments and Referendums to vote on - the effect of which ranges from suggestive or mandatory. Tomorrow I'm in person and just finished looking over the entire sample ballot of federal, state and local offices - such as who should head the Mosquito Control Board as a non-partisan election, plus whether to retain some of the judges and finally constitutional amendments. With this, I can do research candidates - such as which of the 3 candidates for Mosquito Control Board to vote for - and consider the 4 constitutional amendments to Florida's state constitution:

1. Raise minimum wage to $15 an hours by September of next year. I voted no. Little cities in Central Florida are holding onto the last of their local businesses and cafes by their fingernails. The costs of living are low. This would wipe out many of the few remaining businesses and jobs - a downward spiral already drowning the city in loses. I will vote no.

2. Only US Citizens can be voters. I will vote yes.

3. Although more wordy, the effect would be that Republicans could vote in Democratic Primaries - and visa versa. Open primaries. I will vote no. I think primaries should be for people at least willing to say they are a member of that political party. I don't think Democrats would want me to vote instead in their primaries.

4. To require any constitutional change to win TWO elections, not just one. The goal is to prevent knee-jerk changes to the State Constitution. I my opinion, changing the controlling constitution of a government is a really big deal not to be rapidly or emotionally. A single election can be too much controlled by special interests, partisan interests and/or media propaganda. I will vote yes, that is should requiring passing a public vote twice before becoming the new State Constitution.

@joko104

Does your State have the Initiative process too
or just Referendum.

Initiative, a vote mandated by We The People. Free of State gov't.
Referendum, a vote initiated be State legislatures.
I think

Moi

Don't 🇨🇦ize
🇺🇸

@joko104

Does your State have the Initiative process too
or just Referendum.

Initiative, a vote mandated by We The People. Free of State gov't.
Referendum, a vote initiated be State legislatures.
I think

Moi

Don't 🇨🇦ize
🇺🇸

Good question. I don't really know. I'll have to look it up. Thanks.

Good question. I don't really know. I'll have to look it up. Thanks.

California's Proposition 13 regarding property tax
was an initiative. All political representatives opposed it.
Without it I would be taxed out of my home by now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_California_Proposition_13

Proposition 13 (officially named the People's Initiative to Limit Property Taxation) is an amendment of the Constitution of California enacted during 1978, by means of the initiative process. The initiative was approved by California voters on June 6, 1978 . . . .

The process is subject to abuses these days.
Such as companies that for 1 million dollars gets your initiative on the ballot.
Hardly the volunteer citizens gathering signatures.

Moi

Let me know what you find out about your State.

Back
Top Bottom