• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Starcraft II

RedAkston

Master of Shenanigans
Administrator
Dungeon Master
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Who's got it and what do you think? I'm just now sitting down to play it for the first time. If this game is half as good as Starcraft was, I'll be one happy gamer!

Ditto. Plus it would also take some convincing for me to even get back into the realm of MMOs again, especially since my days of being a hardcore gamer are gone.

You haven't had fun until you get to 60 before 99.9% of the server and grief people in Redridge. You just don't know.

Ditto. Plus it would also take some convincing for me to even get back into the realm of MMOs again, especially since my days of being a hardcore gamer are gone.

You haven't had fun until you get to 60 before 99.9% of the server and grief people in Redridge. You just don't know.

Starcraft is an RTS??? :confused:

First impression - not much different from the original. Of course the graphics are better, but the gameplay is basically the same. I'm not a big fan of the online play (it matches you up with people of "similar skills"), but you can form a party with your friends and play together as well. All-in-all, not worth the $60, but the more I play, the more I may change my mind.

First impression - not much different from the original. Of course the graphics are better, but the gameplay is basically the same. I'm not a big fan of the online play (it matches you up with people of "similar skills"), but you can form a party with your friends and play together as well. All-in-all, not worth the $60, but the more I play, the more I may change my mind.

So it's worth it to buy Starcraft Anthology, for 15 dollars than Starcraft 2? Never played Starcraft, but always wanted to try a good RTS.

So it's worth it to buy Starcraft Anthology, for 15 dollars than Starcraft 2? Never played Starcraft, but always wanted to try a good RTS.

You can probably get Total Annihilation for 5 bucks, and it's about the best ever RTS.

I'm a South Korean, and as many of you will well know, Starcraft is a legend here. We have pro-gaming competitions in Starcraft and you won't believe some of our games. Just type in Youtube for Korean Starcraft or something like that and you will get a whole lot of Korean gamers playing that game. Also, it's just not Starcraft either. Our country is a land of computer games. There's other kinds of games that has professional gamers like Kart-rider and Sudden Attack. That's one of the main reasons why our country is the most internet-connected country in the world. It takes my computer less than 10 seconds to come to this site, and my computer is out-dated.
Anyway, I've played Starcraft II before (In one of the thousands internet cafes which are called PC Bang or PC Room in English. Each has tens and sometimes hundreds of computers where people mostly play games. They can order food and do all kinds of nifty stuff while using their computers) The graphics are awesome but dizzying for those who are easily dizzied. The new units, mechanisms, buildings, and everything is awesome. I'm mostly interested in the storyline contrary to most Korean gamers.
Everybody in Korea is waiting for Starcraft 2. There would be a mad rush to stores to buy it. There are advertisements on websites, buses, walls, and streetlights. Bye~

This, it is a prettier Starcraft. It barely upgrades the UI to something modern. I sure hope they do better with Diablo 3.

Oh boo hoo, they updated one of the most perfect games ever without ruining it.
I'm having trouble imagining how "the gameplay is basically the same" is a bad thing. Well, I'm probably getting it today, so I guess I'll find out.

Oh boo hoo, they updated one of the most perfect games ever without ruining it.
I'm having trouble imagining how "the gameplay is basically the same" is a bad thing. Well, I'm probably getting it today, so I guess I'll find out.

It was not even the best RTS ever, let alone one of the best games. Blizzard makes good, but not great games.

It was not even the best RTS ever, let alone one of the best games. Blizzard makes good, but not great games.

It's pretty widely considered one of, if not the best RTS ever. That you don't agree doesn't change the fact that changing core aspects of the gameplay = bad idea overall. There's only so much they could tamper with regarding actual gameplay before they started making it worse rather than better. And I wouldn't know, having only played Starcraft, but from what I've heard Blizzard is specifically known for being top-notch and making sure their games are as full to their potential as possible. Makes sense considering that Starcraft II took 7 years and $100 million to make.

Eh, looks like I won't be able to get it today after all.

It's pretty widely considered one of, if not the best RTS ever. That you don't agree doesn't change the fact that changing core aspects of the gameplay = bad idea overall. There's only so much they could tamper with regarding actual gameplay before they started making it worse rather than better. And I wouldn't know, having only played Starcraft, but from what I've heard Blizzard is specifically known for being top-notch and making sure their games are as full to their potential as possible. Makes sense considering that Starcraft II took 7 years and $100 million to make.

Eh, looks like I won't be able to get it today after all.

I never said it was not a good game, just not a great game. In RTS's, TA was a great game. The first two Age of Empire games where great games. Homeworld was a great game. Starcraft was a good game.

100 million is not an exceptional amount to spend on making a game any more by the way. I think the new Star Wars MMO is looking at a 500 mil budget.

I never said it was not a good game, just not a great game. In RTS's, TA was a great game. The first two Age of Empire games where great games. Homeworld was a great game. Starcraft was a good game.

100 million is not an exceptional amount to spend on making a game any more by the way. I think the new Star Wars MMO is looking at a 500 mil budget.

Eh, I guess it'd make sense you're disappointed with Starcraft II then. IMO, Starcraft was beyond a great game.

Top 10 most expensive video games budgets ever « DigitalBattle.com
^This is only a few months old, and has the most expensive game development ever (GTA4) at $100 million. Starcraft II will be more than that once marketing is accounted for.

With all due respect Redress, Starcraft is considered by-and-large one of the best if not the best RTS game ever made. It's sales numbers put it as the best selling RTS game of all-time as well. I loved the C&C series as well as the AOE series, but Starcraft has had a lasting polularity that the other series have not been able to maintain (hence why there are so many C&C releases as well as AOE releases). Starcraft could not be improved upon, hence why it's been 12 years between SC and SC II. SC may not be your favorite RTS game and it may not be what you consider to be a great game, but the numbers and the sales speak for themselves.

Eh, I guess it'd make sense you're disappointed with Starcraft II then. IMO, Starcraft was beyond a great game.

Top 10 most expensive video games budgets ever « DigitalBattle.com
^This is only a few months old, and has the most expensive game development ever (GTA4) at $100 million. Starcraft II will be more than that once marketing is accounted for.

That list is definitely out of date. It is all released or about to be released stuff.

Now, I mentioned Star Wars: The Old Republic. EA is hoping for 2 million subscribers, and admits that it needs at least 1 million subscribers just to break even. That is 1 mil * 60 dollars, plus 1 mil * 15 a month for an unknown length of time just to break even.

That list is definitely out of date. It is all released or about to be released stuff.

Not sure what this sentence means; you mean, a lot of stuff that has come since last February has been more expensive? I dunno of any games that have come out between then and now that would be more than $100 million.

Now, I mentioned Star Wars: The Old Republic. EA is hoping for 2 million subscribers, and admits that it needs at least 1 million subscribers just to break even. That is 1 mil * 60 dollars, plus 1 mil * 15 a month for an unknown length of time just to break even.

From what I've just looked up, it seems they're expecting somewhere in the range of just over $100 million as well. And it looks like a huge project, basically confirming that $100 million is among the highest of video game development costs. And obviously, 7 years is among the longest periods of time a game is made in.

Proud South Korean said:
I'm a South Korean, and as many of you will well know, Starcraft is a legend here. We have pro-gaming competitions in Starcraft and you won't believe some of our games. Just type in Youtube for Korean Starcraft or something like that and you will get a whole lot of Korean gamers playing that game. Also, it's just not Starcraft either. Our country is a land of computer games. There's other kinds of games that has professional gamers like Kart-rider and Sudden Attack. That's one of the main reasons why our country is the most internet-connected country in the world. It takes my computer less than 10 seconds to come to this site, and my computer is out-dated.
Anyway, I've played Starcraft II before (In one of the thousands internet cafes which are called PC Bang or PC Room in English. Each has tens and sometimes hundreds of computers where people mostly play games. They can order food and do all kinds of nifty stuff while using their computers) The graphics are awesome but dizzying for those who are easily dizzied. The new units, mechanisms, buildings, and everything is awesome. I'm mostly interested in the storyline contrary to most Korean gamers.
Everybody in Korea is waiting for Starcraft 2. There would be a mad rush to stores to buy it. There are advertisements on websites, buses, walls, and streetlights. Bye~

I tried telling people that Koreans owned Starcraft and they just wrote me off. Maybe next time they'll listen a little better.

Speaking of it makes me wish I had more money to get a PC just for that game. Everyone of Bioware's games are simply amazing.

Speaking of it makes me wish I had more money to get a PC just for that game. Everyone of Bioware's games are simply amazing.

To me they have been hit or miss. I grabbed Dragon Age as part of my birthday Amazon order, and while alot of it is good, the constant, nonstop cutscenes every 5 minutes ruined it for me. I want to play a game, not watch a game. Mass Effect was kinda disappointing too, though that has to do with the fact it was designed for consoles first. However, Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights where both pure gaming goodness. I will have SW;TOR on release day!

To me they have been hit or miss. I grabbed Dragon Age as part of my birthday Amazon order, and while alot of it is good, the constant, nonstop cutscenes every 5 minutes ruined it for me. I want to play a game, not watch a game. Mass Effect was kinda disappointing too, though that has to do with the fact it was designed for consoles first. However, Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights where both pure gaming goodness. I will have SW;TOR on release day!

Well I never played Dragon Age, but I just started playing KOTOR, and Jade Empire, and both of those games are still amazing, even though their from the last generation. Also Mass Effect is an orgasm in game form(though I did play them on the 360, don't know how the PC versions are), Mass Effect 2 is the best game of recent memory IMO, and the first one isn't too shabby either.

Back
Top Bottom