• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Starbucks changes their minds

molten_dragon

Anti-Hypocrite
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I just read this today. Starbucks: no more guns in our stores | Business | theguardian.com

I got a kick out of it, because I figured this was going to happen awhile ago. All this really is is Starbucks saying "Hey, we really don't care about the gun debate one way or the other, please just leave us out of it and quit having rallies at our stores".

They certainly are within their rights to ask their patrons to please not bring guns into their stores on on their properties, even where it's allowable by state law. It's not enforceable however, it'll just be on the honor system. If someone can see your concealed carry, you're doing it wrong.

I just read this today. Starbucks: no more guns in our stores | Business | theguardian.com

I got a kick out of it, because I figured this was going to happen awhile ago. All this really is is Starbucks saying "Hey, we really don't care about the gun debate one way or the other, please just leave us out of it and quit having rallies at our stores".
Yeah, I figured they would cave too. I'm tempted to write a letter to the CEO stating that my "support cups" are going to be the last I ever buy from them, I respected their stance and if they had been no carry at first would have still respected them. I do not respect people caving to the pressure of these small extremist groups like the ones that protested, I think it was like............maybe 500 people in the group nationally. Yeah, keep 500 loud mouths happy while losing the respect of millions of potential customers, real smart. :roll:

They certainly are within their rights to ask their patrons to please not bring guns into their stores on on their properties, even where it's allowable by state law. It's not enforceable however, it'll just be on the honor system. If someone can see your concealed carry, you're doing it wrong.
I'm not even pissed at their carry policy changing. I am disgusted at them caving to pressure from a small group of people, it only encourages more loud mouths to shout down anything they don't like, pretty soon we'll have a country where one idiot with an agenda can get something to disappear just because "we can't offend anyone".

Yeah, but it wasn't that Starbucks has changed its mind on anything, so the title is a bit misleading. It just didn't have a policy and was going to leave it to local law. Everything from the beginning of this Starbucks issue seemed to be the pro and anti-gunners turning it into an issue and Starbucks just trying to be impartial.

Yeah, I figured they would cave too. I'm tempted to write a letter to the CEO stating that my "support cups" are going to be the last I ever buy from them, I respected their stance and if they had been no carry at first would have still respected them. I do not respect people caving to the pressure of these small extremist groups like the ones that protested, I think it was like............maybe 500 people in the group nationally. Yeah, keep 500 loud mouths happy while losing the respect of millions of potential customers, real smart. :roll:

I'm not sure they really 'caved'. They're basically trying to keep everyone happy and trying to calm things down. They're not actually banning guns in their stores, just asking people to leave them at home. They're not putting signs up or asking anyone who comes in with a gun to leave or refusing to serve them.

I think that unfortunately in this case, gun owners kind of screwed themselves over a little bit. I think they were a little too enthusiastic in celebrating Starbucks 'pro gun rights' stance, which then got the anti-gun crowd on their asses. Like I said, I think they just don't want to be drug into the middle of the argument about guns, on either side. And this is an attempt to get both sides to back off (which I'm not sure will actually work).

They just want to sell their burnt-tasting overpriced coffee in peace.

I'm not even pissed at their carry policy changing. I am disgusted at them caving to pressure from a small group of people, it only encourages more loud mouths to shout down anything they don't like, pretty soon we'll have a country where one idiot with an agenda can get something to disappear just because "we can't offend anyone".

They didn't change. They asked customers to leave the guns at home because they're tired of being dragged into a fight they didn't want. You can still bring your gun, they will still serve you. Well so long as local law allows you to carry the weapon. They won't call the cops on people with guns nor bar them from their stores. They'd just rather be left out of the brouhaha.

They didn't change. They asked customers to leave the guns at home because they're tired of being dragged into a fight they didn't want. You can still bring your gun, they will still serve you. Well so long as local law allows you to carry the weapon. They won't call the cops on people with guns nor bar them from their stores. They'd just rather be left out of the brouhaha.
Ah, I misunderstood it. I was under the impression that they were going to go the gunbuster route.

Ah, I misunderstood it. I was under the impression that they were going to go the gunbuster route.

No, they're just a store trying to sell coffee, they don't want to be making political statements or the center of controversy. But because they leave it up to local law, in some areas people can carry weapons in the Starbucks and then it blew up into this huge deal. Starbucks would rather you leave the gun at home, but if it's fine by local law they won't stop you. Guns are not their concern, selling the next cup of coffee is.

As private property they can ban guns if they want.

I'm not sure they really 'caved'. They're basically trying to keep everyone happy and trying to calm things down. They're not actually banning guns in their stores, just asking people to leave them at home. They're not putting signs up or asking anyone who comes in with a gun to leave or refusing to serve them.
Ikari pointed that out. That's fair, and I can respect that. I just wish businesses would stand their ground, political correctness has gotten ridiculous and as long as those who practice it get their way it will only get worse.

I think that unfortunately in this case, gun owners kind of screwed themselves over a little bit. I think they were a little too enthusiastic in celebrating Starbucks 'pro gun rights' stance, which then got the anti-gun crowd on their asses. Like I said, I think they just don't want to be drug into the middle of the argument about guns, on either side. And this is an attempt to get both sides to back off (which I'm not sure will actually work).
The only problem is gun owners did not start the fight, Starbucks original position was to simply follow local and state laws and one of the offshoot gun control groups started a protest.

They just want to sell their burnt-tasting overpriced coffee in peace.
Honestly, I can't stand their regular coffee, I do like their flavored drinks.

As private property they can ban guns if they want.
Absolutely they can, I just don't like when businesses cave to any small group that wants them to do things their way. I respect businesses that say "my investment, my property, my rules".

No, they're just a store trying to sell coffee, they don't want to be making political statements or the center of controversy. But because they leave it up to local law, in some areas people can carry weapons in the Starbucks and then it blew up into this huge deal. Starbucks would rather you leave the gun at home, but if it's fine by local law they won't stop you. Guns are not their concern, selling the next cup of coffee is.
Yeah, which is fine, it's business and I totally get that.

In a free market, private businesses have a right to dictate what may be allowed in their establishments.

Solution is simple: Complete w/SBUX. It's coffee beverages are horrible. Now it's angered gun owners. The more customers it drives away, the more customers you get.

Their coffee is too bitter for me anyway.

I wonder if that is really true. It is a public accommodation.
I never have liked laws stating that a business is a "public accommodation", to me, if something a business owner does is truly awful beat him in the wallet, not in a court. Either the business owner will make a monetary or personal decision, and personal decisions against customers lose every time.

Yes - people use them as a sounding stage for everything, they just want to sell coffee and cheesecake at ridiculously high prices.

I just want to go there and write.

Simple.

I never have liked laws stating that a business is a "public accommodation", to me, if something a business owner does is truly awful beat him in the wallet, not in a court. Either the business owner will make a monetary or personal decision, and personal decisions against customers lose every time.

I agree with you. But wouldn't it be funny that these gun banners who want to control peoples life so much (Lot of them are not just gun banners) have the "public accommodation" be used to protect something that they so despise. :lol:

I agree with you. But wouldn't it be funny that these gun banners who want to control peoples life so much (Lot of them are not just gun banners) have the "public accommodation" be used to protect something that they so despise. :lol:
That WOULD be funny, though I'd feel a bit dirty about using it. :(

from what i heard, people with firearms in Starbucks were being confronted by anti-gun people, and starting arguments in the business.

to solve the problem, Starbucks no longer wants the controversy by stating they no longer want firearms on their property.

the problem should have been handed by calling the police and reporting the one starting the whole situation.

from what i heard, people with firearms in Starbucks were being confronted by anti-gun people, and starting arguments in the business.

to solve the problem, Starbucks no longer wants the controversy by stating they no longer want firearms on their property.

the problem should have been handed by calling the police and reporting the one starting the whole situation.
Childish brats. If gun owners were even one sixteenth as crazy as these anti gun activists claim that would have been a stupid idea and Starbucks would have been short a few loud mouths.

Back
Top Bottom