• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Star Wars:The Religious Factor - a cooky question.

FluffyNinja

All Warm and Fuzzy
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
As is probably evident by my sig line, I'm a Star Wars buff, I also happen to be a public high school teacher (History). Inevitably, the discussion of religion often comes up in some of my classes. I try to be as objective as I can and try to have unbiased, multi-perpective debates in my classes. My students always want to know my religious beliefs and I always jokingly tell them that I am Jedi. I'm quite careful not to introduce or to reveal my own religious beliefs to such impressionable young minds. I know that this comes as a shock to some of you, but I'm a Christian who ACTUALLY encourages my students to be free-thinkers!

Anyway, back to my questions, and keep in mind this is only for those familiar with the Star Wars Saga. Are the Jedi members of a religious sect? If so, what Earthly religion would you most closely associate with the Jedi? And, finally, Which side of the Force (Dark or Light) would you most closely associate your own beliefs with?

Cooky, I know, but many of my students would find it a most intriguing discussion!

FluffyNinja said:
Are the Jedi members of a religious sect?

Among other things. They appear to be a religious sect, a humanitarian organization, a knightly order, and a semi-autonomous government agency.

FluffyNinja said:
If so, what Earthly religion would you most closely associate with the Jedi?

I'm not touching this. However, there does appear to be an actual Jedi Order here on Earth-- though their Force powers and lightsabers are rather obviously underdeveloped.

FluffyNinja said:
And, finally, Which side of the Force (Dark or Light) would you most closely associate your own beliefs with?

Mixed; we must promote the well-being of others, and we must seek to be rational and thoughtful in our pursuit of what is right, but our emotions are a necessary part of existence. Righteous anger is as necessary as our love of our fellow sentient beings.

The code of the Sith, however, is pretty much spot-on:

Peace is a lie; there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Unfortunately, they do not understand that they must promote strength in others as well as develop it in themselves.

FluffyNinja said:
As is probably evident by my sig line, I'm a Star Wars buff, I also happen to be a public high school teacher (History). Inevitably, the discussion of religion often comes up in some of my classes. I try to be as objective as I can and try to have unbiased, multi-perpective debates in my classes. My students always want to know my religious beliefs and I always jokingly tell them that I am Jedi. I'm quite careful not to introduce or to reveal my own religious beliefs to such impressionable young minds. I know that this comes as a shock to some of you, but I'm a Christian who ACTUALLY encourages my students to be free-thinkers!

Anyway, back to my questions, and keep in mind this is only for those familiar with the Star Wars Saga. Are the Jedi members of a religious sect? If so, what Earthly religion would you most closely associate with the Jedi? And, finally, Which side of the Force (Dark or Light) would you most closely associate your own beliefs with?

Cooky, I know, but many of my students would find it a most intriguing discussion!
Your a Christian? What is your view of Jesus?

As for the topic, I think the Jedi's religion is closest to panthiesm: God is in everything.

Last edited:
Upstart said:
Your a Christian? What is your view of Jesus?

As for the topic, I think the Jedi's religion is closest to panthiesm: God is in everything.

My view of Jesus is The Messiah, the Son of God, The Savior. Why do you ask? Do you doubt my proclamation of faith because I'm a Star Wars fan? I don't understand why you ask in this particular thread?

Korimyr the Rat said:
Among other things. They appear to be a religious sect, a humanitarian organization, a knightly order, and a semi-autonomous government agency.

I'm not touching this. However, there does appear to be an actual Jedi Order here on Earth-- though their Force powers and lightsabers are rather obviously underdeveloped.

Mixed; we must promote the well-being of others, and we must seek to be rational and thoughtful in our pursuit of what is right, but our emotions are a necessary part of existence. Righteous anger is as necessary as our love of our fellow sentient beings.

The code of the Sith, however, is pretty much spot-on:

Peace is a lie; there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Unfortunately, they do not understand that they must promote strength in others as well as develop it in themselves.

Interesting observations. I've always closely associated the Jedi Order with Daoism. It seems that the "BALANCE" between good and evil or Light and Dark is always the objective. (Yin and Yang?)
Also it seems to me that the Jedi operate under the premise that the "Dark Side" is a necessary presence in order to justify their existence. Sort of like the argument, "We must have 'evil' in order to have a point of reference from which to measure our 'goodness.'"

FluffyNinja said:
My view of Jesus is The Messiah, the Son of God, The Savior. Why do you ask? Do you doubt my proclamation of faith because I'm a Star Wars fan? I don't understand why you ask in this particular thread?
Not at all. I just wondered if you are a true Christian. There are so many who call themselves Christians but do not believe in Christ as Savior. I am glad to know that you are not one of those.

Back
Top Bottom