• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Standoff on Relief Package

grip

Slow 🅖 Hand
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The Dems are in the right asking for a big enough stimulus bill to keep the economy afloat. The GOP stubbornly wants a much smaller bill and to cut benefits to the unemployed for state and payroll tax cuts which defunds social security and medicare.

Trump's executive orders, which won't kick in for weeks and have been called 'unconstitutional slop', are not going to win him votes with a 50% reduction in benefits asking the states to add $100 from their CRF funds that are already 75% allocated. According to estimates, the money in the Disaster Relief Fund, used for unemployment, may only last four to five weeks before expiring and ending benefits.

In another few months, as the mortgage/rents, utilities, car payments, and other bills go unpaid, there will be a tsunami effect of homelessness, hunger, and drop in retail sales. The longer it takes Congress to act on a new bill, the more they're hurting Americans and shooting themselves in the foot.

Trump, McConnell, Mnuchin, Meadows, Schumer and Pelosi are all playing political 'chicken' with peoples lives and that won't reflect well come election time.

Standoff on U.S. Virus Relief Package Leaves Damage All Around

(Bloomberg) -- There were plenty of casualties left in the rubble of failed negotiations on another trillion-dollar-plus rescue package for a U.S. economy mired in a historic, pandemic-induced recession.

Worst hit are the families, businesses, and state and local governments that have had a safety net pulled out from under them at a time some data suggest that recent gains in employment may be transitory as the continuing spread of Covid-19 infections forces a retrenchment.

Meanwhile, almost 30 million Americans said they didn't have enough to eat in the week ended July 21, the U.S. Census reported.

In Washington, the political damage is widespread. But the biggest impact may be on President Donald Trump.

The president on Saturday took some modest steps to try to mitigate the economic impact -- diverting disaster money to boost unemployment insurance, and suspending collection of payroll taxes for some workers.

Trump said his actions "will take care of, pretty much, this entire situation." But many economist disagree, and even his own top aides have admitted they're no substitute for a legislative deal.

But the top Democrats clung to their $3.4 trillion package until late in the talks, when they offered to cut the topline number closer to $2 trillion. Their massive plan gave Republicans a political opening to argue they overreached, a theme Mnuchin repeated on Sunday.

Meh.

Actually doing right by your own people is overrated.

Especially with so many billionaires and corporations to care for.

The Dems are in the right asking for a big enough stimulus bill to keep the economy afloat. The GOP stubbornly wants a much smaller bill and to cut benefits to the unemployed for state and payroll tax cuts which defunds social security and medicare.

Trump's executive orders, which won't kick in for weeks and have been called 'unconstitutional slop', are not going to win him votes with a 50% reduction in benefits asking the states to add $100 from their CRF funds that are already 75% allocated. According to estimates, the money in the Disaster Relief Fund, used for unemployment, may only last four to five weeks before expiring and ending benefits.

In another few months, as the mortgage/rents, utilities, car payments, and other bills go unpaid, there will be a tsunami effect of homelessness, hunger, and drop in retail sales. The longer it takes Congress to act on a new bill, the more they're hurting Americans and shooting themselves in the foot.

Trump, McConnell, Mnuchin, Meadows, Schumer and Pelosi are all playing political 'chicken' with peoples lives and that won't reflect well come election time.

Every time I find myself disgusted at Donald Trump, I am left all the more disgusted by the swarming pit of oleaginous, mendacious, double-dealing vermin we call Congress who presume to represent us and our interests. Donald Trump has no shame or sense of morality and has never pretended very hard to have one. These people pretend to know better and be better.

Last edited:
If Donald Trump figured out how to **** gold bricks and then handed them out to the general public the headlines would be, "TRUMP HANDS AMERICANS PILES OF ****".

If Donald Trump figured out how to **** gold bricks and then handed them out to the general public the headlines would be, "TRUMP HANDS AMERICANS PILES OF ****".

You really cannot bring yourself to criticize a single thing about him, huh?

Any stupid lie to deflect from the corrupt failure of a so-called "man" you support. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't tearing America apart.

Perfect!

:lamo

Every time I find myself disgusted at Donald Trump, I am left all the more disgusted by the swarming pit of oleaginous, mendacious, double-dealing vermin we call Congress who presume to represent us and our interests.

This is far worse than 9/11 when both parties came together, yet they play political football with our well being. They're setting up a situation where people will start to revolt and the system begins to fail.

Every time I find myself disgusted at Donald Trump, I am left all the more disgusted by the swarming pit of oleaginous, mendacious, double-dealing vermin we call Congress who presume to represent us and our interests. Donald Trump has no shame or sense of morality and has never pretended very hard to have one. These people pretend to know better and be better.

You've a right to call Trump out for his lack of humility and morals, your prerogative, but Trump was right about congress.
It's all rigged, one big swamp.

This is far worse than 9/11 when both parties came together, yet they play political football with our well being. They're setting up a situation where people will start to revolt and the system begins to fail.

Set it up???? They already set it up when they decided to resist everything Trump.

Screw em. Go to work or go hungry.

Let us know when he does, until then he is headed towards the largest landslide loss in US history.

Set it up???? They already set it up when they decided to resist everything Trump.

Trust me, neither party wants to own what's about to come. Once the system gets 'out of whack' enough, it can take decades to restore. The wealthy politicians from both sides *think* they're untouchable and can't be held accountable.

Meaning he can claim there is an insurrection declare marshal law and call off the election. Be careful to not play into their hands.

Perfect!

:lamo

The sad part about it, Trix, is that about 99.9% of this crap could be solved if the states, rather than the federal government, were responsible for most domestic issues. Neither political party, however, wants to go back to that way of doing things because all the congressmen, senators, aides and lobbyists would have to find a new cocktail circuit with which to entertain themselves. Well, that and then they'd also find out that they were accountable to the people in their districts. The last thing any politician wants is personal accountability.

:lol: Got to admit, I laughed.

Trust me, neither party wants to own what's about to come. Once the system gets 'out of whack' enough, it can take decades to restore. The wealthy politicians from both sides *think* they're untouchable and can't be held accountable.

Tell me... What's about to come?

I've been complaining about this congress, people who should be term limited OUT for years.
The only thing we can do is vote, and if stupid people keep electing stupid people in, there is nothing else that can be done.

There are 30 Million Unemployed, think if they start to starve it will you that gets screwed.

Nope. Weak sauce extortion attempts mean nothing to me. Screw em. Row or get thrown overboard.

The sad part about it, Trix, is that about 99.9% of this crap could be solved if the states, rather than the federal government, were responsible for most domestic issues. Neither political party, however, wants to go back to that way of doing things because all the congressmen, senators, aides and lobbyists would have to find a new cocktail circuit with which to entertain themselves. Well, that and then they'd also find out that they were accountable to the people in their districts. The last thing any politician wants is personal accountability.

The swamp. DJT was naïve when he thought he could fix this. WA DC is so broken. Precisely why Trump was elected, but Lutherf, the people who hate Trump think congress is their friend. Let that sink in...:shock:

Meaning he can claim there is an insurrection declare marshal law and call off the election. Be careful to not play into their hands.

I expect he'll blame foreign (Chinese) interference, mail-in fraud, vote counting errors, and whatever if he loses.

I don't expect things will deteriorate badly enough before the elections. Trump will Executive Order the hell out of unemployment benefits before he lets the bottom fall out before Nov.

no payroll tax cuts.

Back
Top Bottom