• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Standing on a Flight

Michael McMahon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
“Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary will announce a proposal today for "vertical seats", which will provide standing-room spots on short-haul flights for a cost of about £5 ($A8.90)...
However, the newspaper reported that safety officials at the European Aviation Safety Agency said the plan was unlikely to pass the regulator's requirements.”
https://www.traveller.com.au/ryanair-plan-for-standingroom-vertical-seats-zru8

One possible benefit of cheaper standing seats is for the long-distance destinations rather than just short-duration flights. For example if you live in Ireland then the cost of living is a lot cheaper in destinations like Turkey (€1≈10 lira) or Croatia (€1≈7.5 kuna) compared to Spain or Italy. Someone could stay in a longer holiday for the same price once they get there. However the initial travel costs to go there are more expensive due to the longer journey. Cheaper flights would help open up further away yet less expensive countries for those on a budget. It might be uncomfortable but perhaps you could have options where you stand during the first half and then sit the second half of the trip. Or else we could act chivalrously and let the men stand while the women and children sit! I know take-off and landing would be difficult even though it’d be fine once you reach altitude. It wouldn’t be like standing on a bus where you feel the momentum pushes you at every junction and traffic stop! I don’t know much about plane safety though. What’s your impression?

Being able to stand on an aircraft is one way to debunk flat earthers :p. Not sure why standing seat would be less costly :/

Being able to stand on an aircraft is one way to debunk flat earthers :p. Not sure why standing seat would be less costly :/
less costly because you can fit more people on the plane
Not sure how it debunks flat earthers though

less costly because you can fit more people on the plane
Not sure how it debunks flat earthers though
Flat earthers say the earth doesnt rotate. They dont understand the law of conservation of momentum. Throw a paper airplane inside an aircraft, same concept of how a helicopter can just take off straight up then come back down on a moving object.

Flat earthers say the earth doesnt rotate. They dont understand the law of conservation of momentum. Throw a paper airplane inside an aircraft, same concept of how a helicopter can just take off straight up then come back down on a moving object.
Call me denee if you like but I really dont see how standing on an airplane is relevant to any of this or how any of that could have any impact on flat earthers.

Call me denee if you like but I really dont see how standing on an airplane is relevant to any of this or how any of that could have any impact on flat earthers.
It was just a little tidbit. Lighten up and be well francis :)

It was just a little tidbit. Lighten up and be well francis :)
Still confused about what the standing has to do with it. if it was meant to be funny it went right over my head if not well it still went right over my head.
Can you not throw a paper airplane while sitting down?
Also Shirley you know my name is not Francis

Still confused about what the standing has to do with it. if it was meant to be funny it went right over my head if not well it still went right over my head.
Can you not throw a paper airplane while sitting down?
Also Shirley you know my name is not Francis
Lol!
You can throw a paper airplane sitting down that is true. Flat earthers think that the earth has to be stationary or else if you jumped you couldnt land on the same patch of earth on a moving sphere.

Lol!
You can throw a paper airplane sitting down that is true. Flat earthers think that the earth has to be stationary or else if you jumped you couldnt land on the same patch of earth on a moving sphere.
Sorry still lost on all this.
lets just say that your quip required more than my limited intelligence was able to give

Sorry still lost on all this.
lets just say that your quip required more than my limited intelligence was able to give
Or just having the privilege of not being into the flat earth debate :). For the record i am not a flat earther.

Or just having the privilege of not being into the flat earth debate :). For the record i am not a flat earther.
Have you seen behind the curve on netflix?

Standing or sitting, you still want to be strapped in. You know this if you have ever encountered clear air turbulence.

A bad idea. People can get stuck on a plane for hours. The level of injuries from falling would be huge, accusations of wrongful touching etc.

“Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary will announce a proposal today for "vertical seats", which will provide standing-room spots on short-haul flights for a cost of about £5 ($A8.90)...
However, the newspaper reported that safety officials at the European Aviation Safety Agency said the plan was unlikely to pass the regulator's requirements.”
https://www.traveller.com.au/ryanair-plan-for-standingroom-vertical-seats-zru8

One possible benefit of cheaper standing seats is for the long-distance destinations rather than just short-duration flights. For example if you live in Ireland then the cost of living is a lot cheaper in destinations like Turkey (€1≈10 lira) or Croatia (€1≈7.5 kuna) compared to Spain or Italy. Someone could stay in a longer holiday for the same price once they get there. However the initial travel costs to go there are more expensive due to the longer journey. Cheaper flights would help open up further away yet less expensive countries for those on a budget. It might be uncomfortable but perhaps you could have options where you stand during the first half and then sit the second half of the trip. Or else we could act chivalrously and let the men stand while the women and children sit! I know take-off and landing would be difficult even though it’d be fine once you reach altitude. It wouldn’t be like standing on a bus where you feel the momentum pushes you at every junction and traffic stop! I don’t know much about plane safety though. What’s your impression?

I'm waiting for the slave ship seating option they will likely come up with soon.

You can put alot more people on the plane.

If you could lean back a bit against some kind of cushion, I'd be okay with it. 100% vertical? That's too uncomfortable for me.

The price sounds good. A lot of flights in Europe are short.

Why not trays people are slide sideways into? Then no one can fall down. Figure about 12 to 18 inches height, 2 foot wide, 6 feet long. People could be pushed in if bigger - and if small or children even 2 or 3 per slot. I bet they could squeeze thousands into the bigger jets. Maybe even more if tied together in bundles.

I don’t see how this can be safe during landing. Like what if the plane suffers a landing gear failure and needs to belly down or an emergency landing either on water or a land surface other then a paved runway? What kind of restraint would one wear during turbulence? I like cheap flights as much as the next guy but aviation safety has a history written in blood, I hope the corporate ruling class doesn’t have so much influence they can get away with something like this.... now the libertarians would say “well if you want to risk breaking your neck in a turbulent spot you know the risk when you buy the ticket” and blah blah blah but sorry, I think if you can’t afford a ticket with a seat and belt you shouldn’t be flying

I'm waiting for the slave ship seating option they will likely come up with soon.
Coming soon on Spirit airlines, you can get ultra economy “Ben hur class” where you’re chained to a giant oar and help the airline save fuel!

*subject to a check in fee for the oar

I don’t see how this can be safe during landing. Like what if the plane suffers a landing gear failure and needs to belly down or an emergency landing either on water or a land surface other then a paved runway? What kind of restraint would one wear during turbulence? I like cheap flights as much as the next guy but aviation safety has a history written in blood, I hope the corporate ruling class doesn’t have so much influence they can get away with something like this.... now the libertarians would say “well if you want to risk breaking your neck in a turbulent spot you know the risk when you buy the ticket” and blah blah blah but sorry, I think if you can’t afford a ticket with a seat and belt you shouldn’t be flying
You are strapped in and standing isnt the exact term. If you look at the pics in the article or just google standing airplane seats, you will see its more of a small backed stool for lack of a better description. You do not carry your own weight for the flight.
Still looks less safe in a crash IMHO but to be legal they would have to prove otherwise

Airline take off safety briefing in 2030

If you put on a space suit, I'll check you as my free bag, for a small fee.

Back
Top Bottom